The Next Oldham Manager

2 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

The only caveat I'd add to Williamson, is that he's in his 5th (I think) season with them and I don't realistically think he'd be able to come here and have us playing like Gateshead straight away.

Whoever came in* would have to hit the ground running or I'd imagine the toxicity would turn towards the board.

* still don't think Unsworth's going anywhere yet anyway.

Mmmm, Williamson got Gateshead to the National league north semi finals in his first season.

Finished 10 th in his second.

Won National league North title the season after. And won that leagues manager of the season as well.

The season after, lost in FA trophy final.

And going well again this season. Plus Unsworth has managed Latics against his teams, is it 4? times, and has yet to win a game.

This fella is just the kind of bloke we need.

And let's face it, it would be impossible, for any other manager involved in football to be worse than what we have.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Mmmm, Williamson got Gateshead to the National league north semi finals in his first season.

Finished 10 th in his second.

Won National league North title the season after. And won that leagues manager of the season as well.

The season after, lost in FA trophy final.

And going well again this season. Plus Unsworth has managed Latics against his teams, is it 4? times, and has yet to win a game.

This fella is just the kind of bloke we need.

And let's face it, it would be impossible, for any other manager involved in football to be worse than what we have.

He wouldn't have survived here in the court of fan opinion after going backwards in his second season 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I really like Williamson, but you don’t go from the position we are in to knocking it around like Gateshead overnight. 

I don’t think he would be given the time by our fans to implement that style. Especially the main stand who believe the answer is to knock it long. 

I don’t think Frank and Co could risk that appointment, as much as I would be for it. 

Rubbish.Nothing wrong with the fans.We are not fools and have shown incredible patience with this man.As a main stander your comments are insulting.All we want is a bit of football,consistency in team selection. tactics and the odd win.

5 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Rubbish.Nothing wrong with the fans.We are not fools and have shown incredible patience with this man.As a main stander your comments are insulting.All we want is a bit of football,consistency in team selection. tactics and the odd win.

Incredible patience 😅😅😅

People were calling for him to go within weeks of being appointed.

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

He wouldn't have survived here in the court of fan opinion after going backwards in his second season 

If he'd have shown he had something about him in the first season - especially on a restricted budget - he'd have got more patience from the fans when things weren't going well in the second...

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

If he'd have shown he had something about him in the first season - especially on a restricted budget - he'd have got more patience from the fans when things weren't going well in the second...

I really doubt it. It's all about expectation levels. Ours are not unreasonably high and if we made the playoffs one season and finished mid table the next that would be way short of acceptable 

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Incredible patience 😅😅😅

People were calling for him to go within weeks of being appointed.

Stop generalising….A few weren’t impressed by the appointment of Unsworth and made it known on here early doors that is all!

The football has been dire since his arrival but he’s had plenty of support due to the state of the team and the huge upheaval the club was going through when he came in!

We have shown incredible patience and after more than 30 years of decline and disappointment the transformation at the club finally gave fans a hope that things would change.

He’s had more than 50 games now and with the support he’s been given by our owners the very least fans expected was to be in and around the playoffs!

Unfortunately, we are nowhere near that and the growing vitriol towards Unsworth is fully justified!

Despite a move ‘FORWARDS’ after a welcome improvement in results after Xmas we’ve now gone ‘BACKWARDS’

********UNSWORTH OUT********

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I really doubt it. It's all about expectation levels. Ours are not unreasonably high and if we made the playoffs one season and finished mid table the next that would be way short of acceptable 

Suppose it would depend how entertaining season two was and whether we could see what he was trying to do. 

If there was fan restlessness in season two, I could understand the appeal for patience from certain factions as the evidence would be there from season one that he could do it. 

Edited by JoeP