MATCH: York City (H) 19/09/23

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We were always winning tonight

Being careful here of new manager/post manager bounce and of believing all our problems have vanished into thin air is an easy trap to fall into. We still have a squad that is slightly imbalanced.

But still good news about a much needed win which will give the players some much needed confidence.

Agreed.

And just like Mr. Ben, we have so many thrilling adventures ahead of us.

• Like 1

York played some lovely football, they just seemed a bit lost once they got to the edge of our area. Great to get a clean sheet, 2 decent finishes by us, might be in for some flak here but Sutton is so slow and got caught out quite a few times, but fortunately Sheron did a lot of the dirty work and helped him out. I actually thout Gardner had a decent game but Hobson definite mom. Nuttall looked a lot livelier but he has this habit of making sure he comes in for the ball so it flies over his head. 3 points in the bag, onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

I thought they passed the ball around well but to very little effect. And looked poor at the back. 

But I’m in danger of defending what I said to the point where it looks like I’m detracting from the positives of our performance. So I’ll stop now!

2 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Green started well but as usual fades off spectacularly 25 mins or so. Thought Sutton had possibly his best game at RB. Good win against a good York side but we still give the ball away to often. 

Think we need a more solid option than Green if we are sticking with 4-4-2. Sutton had a good game but think would be even better at CB if/when needed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lags said:

Party pooper here going off these posts. We weren't great and they can't shoot.

I'll take the win.  Same script for me,  lost control of the game after 20 mins then york passed it round our midfield Green isn't good enough full stop. Did zero after 20 mins. 

Sheron put himself about a bit. Nuttall plays at closing down, always does it jogging and never actually challenging. Sorry guys, this side is way off at the moment. 

I see Chesterfield won their basketball game again!!. 

Anyway,  a win is a win and out of the relegation spots replaced by tonight's opponents. 

Comfortable 2-0 win

"Nuttall doesn't run about enough!"

Jesus wept. Best player on the pitch 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, old codger said:

Nuttall is actually a striker - what a well taken goal. A delight to see them play rather than just worry about formation. Not dropping back. Gardener more restrained but not making last ditch tackles. Fan bloody tactic. We have our team back!

Enjoyed that, like watching Barcelona after sitting through that tripe the last 40 odd games 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

No. He’s put a shift in. Done some of the ugly stuff well tonight. Just saying what I’ve seen. 

Yep , he was actually harassing the opposition for the most part which is what he should be doing. Amazing what a difference it makes when you press, and force them back . 

7 minutes ago, Lags said:

I'll stand by he plays at closing down.  Never gets there....jogs towards the player that's it. 

This is not at all a dig at you and I’m probably going to be accused of being a dinosaur, but the modern game’s insistence that every player, including strikers, must “close down” does my head in. If Nuttall can’t do that, but scores regularly from now on, then it’s Saul Goodman in my book.

17 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Think we need a more solid option than Green if we are sticking with 4-4-2. Sutton had a good game but think would be even better at CB if/when needed. 

Oh yes I agree. I said it may have been Sutton’s best game at RB not that he was great. We definitely need a RB and one or two better midfielders in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

This is not at all a dig at you and I’m probably going to be accused of being a dinosaur, but the modern game’s insistence that every player, including strikers, must “close down” does my head in. If Nuttall can’t do that, but scores regularly from now on, then it’s Saul Goodman in my book.

Don't think it's even a modern football thing. Some people just expect footballers to charge around like Paul Warne all match. Not every player is like that, especially strikers.

He showed exactly what he brings to the table tonight.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Don't think it's even a modern football thing. Some people just expect footballers to charge around like Paul Warne all match. Not every player is like that, especially strikers.

He showed exactly what he brings to the table tonight.  

Let's have you season goals prediction. I'll give you less than 10.

The best teams defend from the front, end of.

2 minutes ago, Lags said:

Let's have you season goals prediction. I'll give you less than 10.

The best teams defend from the front, end of.

Why striker no run about like headless chicken!!

MASSIVE coincidence they played the best football for weeks with Nuttall in his correct position. The best football they've played since Nuttall set up 3 goals against Aldershot playing in his correct position. Strange.

• Like 1