MATCH: York City (H) 19/09/23

Simple 442 but played much higher up the pitch ,

Gardner lasted 90 mins cos he played most of the game in their half instead of chasing all over . Nuttall looked a different player with a partner and would love to see him with Norwood , 

Thought we took a clever breather when York controlled the first 20mins of the 2nd half and denied them creating chances (mainly long range efforts) but once we got the second wind we never looked like losing .

Simple like for like subs that threshened up tired areas.

Shows that playing a formation that suit the players you have produces much better football .

First game I’ve been to that felt good afterwards that we played well and deserved to win.York area good side and won’t finish in bottom half.

Still got a problem at RB , Sutton was ok but doesn’t read the game very well and still a lot to learn. With Lundstrum to come in then midfield will look really stronger.

A year wasted with Dullsworth but at least we can move on from here with a lot more hope and maybe play off place.

• Like 2

Team was brave tonight and played on the front foot, went flat a couple of times but found something when required. 

Hudson dealt with everything although I wish he'd release the ball a bit quicker on occasions, so slowwww.... kicking iffy at times but composed between the sticks.

Sutton frustrating at times and he created problems for himself but generally solid and a threat on the set pieces.

Hogan, won every header and led the line well.

Hobson, some player this lad strong as an ox and gave their star man very little he would be the first name on the team sheet for me.

Kitching did well again he's been consistently our best player all season and he was steady again tonight.

Green, lasted longer than expected, final ball not quite there tonight but a constant threat and up against a very tidy left back.

Sheron, all over the pitch tonight was behind a lot of the good things we did and allowed others to play, don't need him, Shelton and Ward in the same team as he can do the running for all three, my man of the match.

Gardner, best I've seen from him for a couple of seasons he brings much needed quality to central areas, I know he turns in to trouble from time to time but at least he tries to make something happen

Dickinson did okay, blew up again second half but he offers balance on the left and covers Kitching well, strong player whose getting there.

Nuttall, along with Sheron was my other contender for MOM, take a bow son that was the player we've been wanting to see. Great finish by the way and should have buried another one.

Willoughby, first game in his favoured position and what a transformation, excellent game and our fans will finally have seen what he can offer.

Subs all contributed but more importantly made sense, like for like and slotted in to the system we played. I like Thompson's approach, they had a plan and executed it, let's back it up Saturday now with Lundstrum and Norwood to come back in. Great to see so many smiling faces at full time we looked like a team reborn, York were half decent as well, I'd expect us both to be climbing the table in the next few weeks, on to Saturday - let's back it up.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 8

Much better today. Still work in the transfer market to be done but good start now that dinosaur has gone.

Hudson - 6: Nothing to do but collect numerous pot shots from distance. His kicking however, is absolutely atrocious.

Sutton - 7: Solid enough (bar a dodgy last 10 mins). Still not a RB but he’s decent as backup there. 

Hobson - 8: Excellent again. His pace is much needed.

Hogan - 8: Equally as good, possibly his best showing for us that.

Kitching - 6: Quiet game for him, didn’t seem to get forward as much. Brilliant pass for Nuttall in the first half which he should have shot from instead of cutting it back.

Green - 5: Garbage. Really don’t get the love in for him. Has pace and that’s it, headless chicken springs to mind. He should be a sub/impact player at the very most.

Sheron - 7: Decent game. Still seriously limited as a footballer but would be useful when we play the likes of Chesterfield, Barnet etc. Against dross like Dorking and Oxford, he shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting XI

Gardner - 7: Usual energy on show, needs to cut out the Hollywood balls and slow his play down more for me. Still light years above Shelton though.

Dickenson - 5: Hardly noticed him. Been disappointed with him all season with the exception of Aldershot. Doesn’t look fit enough to me though.

Willoughby - 7: quietly impressed with him. Some neat touches, held the ball up well on a few occasions for a small guy. Needs a run of games though.

Nuttall - 9: best performance in a Latics shirt for me (and that includes Aldershot). Great goal, probably should have had 2. Worked his socks off.

I still think we lack match fitness. Fuck knows what Unsworth was doing in training but we often look knackered after half an hour. Hopefully this will improve in the coming weeks.

Final words - I really don’t understand the York praise. Yeah they passed it about neat and tidily, but when you have a CM like ours, all teams will look decent. They could still be there Saturday and they wouldn’t score. Absolutely toilet up top and not a single chance created, just pot shots. Defensively suspect too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Team was brave tonight and played on the front foot, went flat a couple of times but found something when required. 

Hudson dealt with everything although I wish he'd release the ball a bit quicker on occasions, so slowwww.... kicking iffy at times but composed between the sticks.

Sutton frustrating at times and he created problems for himself but generally solid and a threat on the set pieces.

Hobson, some player this lad strong as an ox and gave their star man very little he would be the first name on the team sheet for me.

Kitching did well again he's been consistently our best player all season and he was steady again tonight.

Green, lasted longer than expected, final ball not quite there tonight but a constant threat and up against a very tidy left back.

Sheron, all over the pitch tonight was behind a lot of the good things we did and allowed others to play, don't need him, Shelton and Ward in the same team as he can do the running for all three, my man of the match.

Gardner, best I've seen from him for a couple of seasons he brings much needed quality to central areas, I know he turns in to trouble from time to time but at least he tries to make something happen

Dickinson did okay, blew up again second half but he offers balance on the left and covers Kitching well, strong player whose getting there.

Nuttall, along with Sheron was my other contender for MOM, take a bow son that was the player we've been wanting to see. Great finish by the way and should have buried another one.

Willoughby, first game in his favoured position and what a transformation, excellent game and our fans will finally have seen what he can offer.

Subs all contributed but more importantly made sense, like for like and slotted in to the system we played. I like Thompson's approach, they had a plan and executed it, let's back it up Saturday now with Lundstrum and Norwood to come back in. Great to see so many smiling faces at full time we looked like a team reborn, York were half decent as well, I'd expect us both to be climbing the table in the next few weeks, on to Saturday - let's back it up.

Bang on.Credit to Reid as well.Scored after 10 minutes. 

He needs more time on the pitch and will bag more.Good to see Hope on as well.

Confidence must be growing now the main problem  has now gone.

Edited by Flemboy
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

very good summary 

So refreshing that, wasn't it? Good thing is, we have miles more than that in the tank. It wasn't a vintage performance, by any stretch. Tons to work on, mostly in midfield. It harks back to last season; we only have Shelton, in that midfield four who's a ball-winner. The shift he put in was outrageous and was my MOM. There were a few contenders though.

The Latics socials said it was Green that pulled the ball back for Nuttall's goal but I was convinced it was Willoghyby. Either way, the chasing of a lost cause set all that up and Nuttall's brushing off of the defender was classic centre forward play. He took his goal so well. Reid is a breath of fresh air coming on like that. Looked desperate for a goal and got what his performance deserved, albeit a cameo.

If we get someone with Sheron who can tackle and control a match from midfield, it'll be the missing cog. As decent as York were, there are teams far better equipped than them to boss the midfield and on another day, we'll get overran us in midfield. Not far off a team that can go right up this division though. 

14 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

So refreshing that, wasn't it? Good thing is, we have miles more than that in the tank. It wasn't a vintage performance, by any stretch. Tons to work on, mostly in midfield. It harks back to last season; we only have Shelton, in that midfield four who's a ball-winner. The shift he put in was outrageous and was my MOM. There were a few contenders though.

The Latics socials said it was Green that pulled the ball back for Nuttall's goal but I was convinced it was Willoghyby. Either way, the chasing of a lost cause set all that up and Nuttall's brushing off of the defender was classic centre forward play. He took his goal so well. Reid is a breath of fresh air coming on like that. Looked desperate for a goal and got what his performance deserved, albeit a cameo.

If we get someone with Sheron who can tackle and control a match from midfield, it'll be the missing cog. As decent as York were, there are teams far better equipped than them to boss the midfield and on another day, we'll get overran us in midfield. Not far off a team that can go right up this division though. 

Sheron  👍

• Thanks 1

I understand why people rate Sheron because he runs around a lot and is busy but if we're going to play a 442 I don't think we can carry him in midfield. If you're the opposition you just stick a man on the other cm and we're done for. We can maybe get away with him playing CDM in a 3. He's just not good enough on the ball in an attacking sense. I'd personally only play him as a CB in a 3 and have him as the one to step into midfield in possession...

As for the game it was a definite improvement in attitude and intent. We started on the front foot which we haven't been doing and we actually tried to press them a bit at times. There's definitely still loads for whoever comes in to work on with this group, it won't be an easy fix. One of our main problems is losing the ball after winning it back. So many times we either just launch it forward or try to play ridiculous passes and end up losing it straight away. That not only invites pressure but also just ends up tiring us out. I still don't think we created an awful lot either so there's definitely work to be done.

As for the players

Hudson 8 - Was fine, didn't have an awful lot to do but did it well, think his distribution is better than Norman so he stays in for me.

Sutton 7 - Square peg in a round hole, can't fault his effort but I just don't see who's benefiting from him playing there. It ain't us and he's not progressing trying to learn to be a full back that he'll never be. Couple of good tackles first half. Fell asleep a few times defensively.

Hobson 9 - If he's better in a 3 we need to play it because he was seriously on it tonight. Strong and quick, can't remember him putting a foot wrong.

Hogan 7 - Solid if unspectacular. Always seems to end up on the deck. Between the 2 CBs they dealt with the 2 York big strikers well.

Kitching 8 - Runs all day, always an attacking threat (often our only) and again put in some decent balls. Defensively solid enough too. Ridiculously booked for being fouled.

Green 4 - Their LB had him in his pocket all match pretty much. Very little end product, not strong enough, made the wrong decision most of the time.

Gardner 6 - Guaranteed effort and overhit passes. Wish he'd turn and run with the ball more because I think that's his strength. At least attempts to pass forwards.

Sheron 6 - Already said my piece.

Dickinson 4 - Poor I thought, numerous times his first touch let him down, another who's end product has vanished in recent weeks. Could he play rwb?

Nuttall 8 - Took his goal well, always puts himself about. Needs to be in the box more often, 2nd half especially he'd end up on the edge or out on the wing.

Willoughby 6 - Effort was there, still finding his feet in the team and unfortunate that his minutes are limited at the moment. Needs to pick his head up more when on the ball.

Subs - Reid took his goal well, another who's unlucky to not be getting more minutes (anybody think we might have too many strikers?). Can't remember who else came on 😂.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I understand why people rate Sheron because he runs around a lot and is busy but if we're going to play a 442 I don't think we can carry him in midfield. If you're the opposition you just stick a man on the other cm and we're done for. We can maybe get away with him playing CDM in a 3. He's just not good enough on the ball in an attacking sense. I'd personally only play him as a CB in a 3 and have him as the one to step into midfield in possession...

As for the game it was a definite improvement in attitude and intent. We started on the front foot which we haven't been doing and we actually tried to press them a bit at times. There's definitely still loads for whoever comes in to work on with this group, it won't be an easy fix. One of our main problems is losing the ball after winning it back. So many times we either just launch it forward or try to play ridiculous passes and end up losing it straight away. That not only invites pressure but also just ends up tiring us out. I still don't think we created an awful lot either so there's definitely work to be done.

As for the players

Hudson 8 - Was fine, didn't have an awful lot to do but did it well, think his distribution is better than Norman so he stays in for me.

Sutton 7 - Square peg in a round hole, can't fault his effort but I just don't see who's benefiting from him playing there. It ain't us and he's not progressing trying to learn to be a full back that he'll never be. Couple of good tackles first half. Fell asleep a few times defensively.

Hobson 9 - If he's better in a 3 we need to play it because he was seriously on it tonight. Strong and quick, can't remember him putting a foot wrong.

Hogan 7 - Solid if unspectacular. Always seems to end up on the deck. Between the 2 CBs they dealt with the 2 York big strikers well.

Kitching 8 - Runs all day, always an attacking threat (often our only) and again put in some decent balls. Defensively solid enough too. Ridiculously booked for being fouled.

Green 4 - Their LB had him in his pocket all match pretty much. Very little end product, not strong enough, made the wrong decision most of the time.

Gardner 6 - Guaranteed effort and overhit passes. Wish he'd turn and run with the ball more because I think that's his strength. At least attempts to pass forwards.

Dickinson 4 - Poor I thought, numerous times his first touch let him down, another who's end product has vanished in recent weeks. Could he play rwb?

Nuttall 8 - Took his goal well, always puts himself about. Needs to be in the box more often, 2nd half especially he'd end up on the edge or out on the wing.

Willoughby 6 - Effort was there, still finding his feet in the team and unfortunate that his minutes are limited at the moment. Needs to pick his head up more when on the ball.

Subs - Reid took his goal well, another who's unlucky to not be getting more minutes (anybody think we might have too many strikers?). Can't remember who else came on 😂.

Well said and also what a refreshingly  honest post match speech by Thompson

1 hour ago, doctor evil said:

As for the players

Agree with all that bar Green, he got some decent crosses in tonight against a fullback as pacy as him , a bit careless at times but he had his work cut out tonight and still got the ball into the box 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, St92 said:

The question is, how much of that was down to Thompson? And how much was down to just not having DU/the handbrake coming off?

Thompson told individual players they weren’t affecting the game in the way they could and should. Between the lines that was the green light for them to play to their strengths and impact the game rather than the awful stifling way Unsworth had them playing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Wait until you see Lundstram if you’re getting excited about Sheron. Lundstram is a proper player on another level 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

This is not at all a dig at you and I’m probably going to be accused of being a dinosaur, but the modern game’s insistence that every player, including strikers, must “close down” does my head in. If Nuttall can’t do that, but scores regularly from now on, then it’s Saul Goodman in my book.

Hardly a modern thing Graham Taylor was getting his Watford team to do that in the 70's and 80's. Ian rush would always be an excellent first line of defence for Liverpool. Its a repackaged thing if anything with the likes of Klopp and Guardiola bring it back in recent years. It certainly benefits the team to defend from the front. but having said that the most important thing for a striker is that he scores and thats what Nuttall did last night.

Edited by GlossopLatic

13 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Some embarrassing comments on here by a number of people about Green. It's like now DU has gone, people need a source for their frustration. The lad got numerous crosses into the box AND he got an assist, yet there are people talking about him having no end product. Stop embarrassing yourselves

I agree.  Thought he was tremendous.  Getting to the line and getting crosses in.  Getting early crosses in when appropriate. Adams/Holden-esque.  Kitching did the same.

Thought Sutton had his best game at right-back for us.  Not sure how anyone can knock Sheron's performance last night. POTS last season for me and is first choice next to Lundstram, when he's fit.

Nuttall had his best game for us too.  Great to see Reid back.  The "embarrassment of riches" we've got in attack finally given the opportunity to shine. 

It's a long way back to get up to speed, but HMS PTS couldn't have re-launched better.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lags said:

Party pooper here going off these posts. We weren't great and they can't shoot.

I'll take the win.  Same script for me,  lost control of the game after 20 mins then york passed it round our midfield Green isn't good enough full stop. Did zero after 20 mins. 

Sheron put himself about a bit. Nuttall plays at closing down, always does it jogging and never actually challenging. Sorry guys, this side is way off at the moment. 

I see Chesterfield won their basketball game again!!. 

Anyway,  a win is a win and out of the relegation spots replaced by tonight's opponents. 

Good win and a clean sheet. Better attacking play from Latics but some of the familiar failings (dropping deep, giving the ball away, players out of position, weak in the tackle) still evident - but it's early days  …York looked okay.

Thompson spoke of ‘keeping the shirt’ or similar - on last night’s performance, I would expect Lundstram in for Dickenson on Saturday with Norwood returning to the bench. Willoughby earned the right to keep his place alongside Nuttall. 

The side still has some way to go I agree - I still have reservations about Sutton as a right back and Green’s overall game - but what a refreshing approach last night. Let’s keep building and winning games.

Just seen footage of that free kick incident again. Even more bizarre. I thought that he must have given it to them but both teams assumed it was ours. But he actually gave us the free kick. Booked Kitching presumably for complaining about being fouled. Then seemingly changed it to them having the free kick because Kitching was still complaining? Is that even in the rules?! 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Just seen footage of that free kick incident again. Even more bizarre. I thought that he must have given it to them but both teams assumed it was ours. But he actually gave us the free kick. Booked Kitching presumably for complaining about being fouled. Then seemingly changed it to them having the free kick because Kitching was still complaining? Is that even in the rules?! 

A referee can change a decision if the ball hadn’t come back into play. He probably gave a free kick against Kitching because, as you say, he was guilty of dissent insofar he was moaning about something.