MATCH: York City (H) 19/09/23

14 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

A referee can change a decision if the ball hadn’t come back into play. He probably gave a free kick against Kitching because, as you say, he was guilty of dissent insofar he was moaning about something. 

If changing a decision like that because of dissent is allowed in the rules then that is a much better way of dealing with it than just giving Kitching a second yellow. What would have made more sense in those circumstances though is to blow the whistle, call Kitching over, explain what he’s going to do and why, make a clear signal so everyone knows that’s what is happening and not allow York to take a quick free kick whilst most of the players and the crowd haven’t got the faintest idea what just happened. 

Kitching was booked very quickly after the initial incident which seems incredibly harsh. Especially if he could just have said “keep quiet or I’ll give them the free kick instead”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Some embarrassing comments on here by a number of people about Green. It's like now DU has gone, people need a source for their frustration. The lad got numerous crosses into the box AND he got an assist, yet there are people talking about him having no end product. Stop embarrassing yourselves

Absolute hyperbole.

He was poor. He shouldn’t be starting for us but he does because he’s quick and we have very few options at RW.

Why do we need a new source of frustration? 

• Like 3

Some embarrassing comments on here by a number of people about Green. It's like now DU has gone, people need a source for their frustration. The lad got numerous crosses into the box AND he got an assist, yet there are people talking about him having no end product. Stop embarrassing yourselves

WHY DOESNT EVERYBODY THINK LIKE ME! 😂😂😂

• Like 1

Jack stobbs used to put numerous crosses into the box or roughly near it. Doesn't mean he was good. We won 2-0, I had no frustration. None of his crosses in were accurate, he was pushed of the ball far too often and his assist was a 5 yard pass into nuttall who did all the work. If we ever get out of this league (the correct way), he won't be in the team....

1 hour ago, doctor evil said:

Jack stobbs used to put numerous crosses into the box or roughly near it. Doesn't mean he was good. We won 2-0, I had no frustration. None of his crosses in were accurate, he was pushed of the ball far too often and his assist was a 5 yard pass into nuttall who did all the work. If we ever get out of this league (the correct way), he won't be in the team....

How long does a pass have to be to count as an assist? 

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

Absolute hyperbole.

He was poor. He shouldn’t be starting for us but he does because he’s quick and we have very few options at RW.

Why do we need a new source of frustration? 

He's quick so he gets more crosses into the box hence more chances. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

WHY DOESNT EVERYBODY THINK LIKE ME! 😂😂😂

Not at all. Some people are just ridiculous. Rewatch the game and tell me you genuinely think he was shite last night 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

If changing a decision like that because of dissent is allowed in the rules then that is a much better way of dealing with it than just giving Kitching a second yellow. What would have made more sense in those circumstances though is to blow the whistle, call Kitching over, explain what he’s going to do and why, make a clear signal so everyone knows that’s what is happening and not allow York to take a quick free kick whilst most of the players and the crowd haven’t got the faintest idea what just happened. 

Kitching was booked very quickly after the initial incident which seems incredibly harsh. Especially if he could just have said “keep quiet or I’ll give them the free kick instead”.

Laws not rules 🙂

I agree , he could have managed it better.

Edited by LaticsPete
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If he'd made a different decision with the pass then Nuttall wouldn't have had the chance in the first place

True. The point I was making was that the assist last night shouldn't be used as an argument that he has end product. It wasn't an assist where he's put it on a plate for somebody. If he gets assists with easy 5 yard passes every week then I'm all for it, but the evidence of his time with us suggests that won't happen.

The most notable thing about Green in the games I've seen, even at Bromley which was a thankless task, is he wants the ball. He's been the only player other than Kitching who actually wants possession and is willing to keep the ball, look for a run or pass but without it needing to be immediate. 

His production wasn't always ideal (Bromley he ran down a dead end at least twice) but I'd be hopeful that comes with both patience and opportunity - if he makes those kinds of runs in a game where other players are also doing the same (which is what infuriated about Unsy ball most - it was so static) then he could be a very useful creative outlet.

• Like 2

I think Mcfluff is trying to say some people seem to always have to find negatives and dwell on them.

Even if Green didn't play as well as other players, do we have to slaughter him? In any match not every single player plays fantastic otherwise you would be world beaters.

There are always players who do not stand out but they all contributed enough to a 2-0 victory, that's why it's a team game, you adapt, cope and help the players who are below par on the day (not that Green was).

When the team overall played well then you don't have to find individual flaws because they happen to every team and it's the overall team play that counts.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I think Mcfluff is trying to say some people seem to always have to find negatives and dwell on them.

Even if Green didn't play as well as other players, do we have to slaughter him? In any match not every single player plays fantastic otherwise you would be world beaters.

There are always players who do not stand out but they all contributed enough to a 2-0 victory, that's why it's a team game, you adapt, cope and help the players who are below par on the day (not that Green was).

When the team overall played well then you don't have to find individual flaws because they happen to every team and it's the overall team play that counts.

I agree that there is a tendency for some to over analyse a performance, be it team or individual. It’s what we do. 

You only have to listen to the weekly phone-in to get an idea of how each perceives a game and how we all see games differently - and it’s natural to look at which players played well and which players did not.

Every player makes mistakes during a game - whether it’s missing a tackle/shot/pass or failing to spot an opponents run - but if you have the same players doing this on a regular basis, that’s when opinions can become entrenched. 

I am not one for ‘slaughtering’ a player like some (you know the ‘he’s shit get rid’ or ‘he’s a fraud’ brigade) but I do think it’s okay to argue a point as you see it.

As well as Sutton is coping with the unfamiliar position he is being asked to play, it’s clear to me that he is making the same positional mistakes and that he would be better suited to the centre back role.

Dickenson is another who still seems to be struggling for fitness and looks a spent force after an hour or so.

Then there’s Green - yes he wants the ball and is prepared to take his man on but the other aspects of his game (closing down, final ball) still need work.

I posted earlier that for all the attacking intent we showed yesterday, there is still a huge question mark over our overall structure, especially in the middle of the park.

Great result, better performance but still a way to go.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I think Mcfluff is trying to say some people seem to always have to find negatives.....

Here's my negative take on the game 😂.

Started the game well but after scoring we reverted to backing off to the edge of the area and letting York pass it around nicely (without threatening too much). Hobson and Hogan were superb but would still like to see Raglan alongside Hobson.

Sheron did the running for the entire midfield so fitness very much an issue. Would prefer Nuttall to get in the box more rather than go wide or drop deep. Still need a right back or wing back, Willoughby did well for the first goal and Reid did well for the second but Norwood has to start. We're not far off being good enough to go on a winning run 🤞:scarf001:.

• Like 1

Just basking in the fact that we got a win - desperately needed to start to instill confidence into a group of players bereft of it recently. Well done to the players for their response - and to Thompson for taking the shackles off. Not going to comment on individual performances - just delighted with a very much needed 3 points. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

How long does a pass have to be to count as an assist? 

It's a really good pass; firm, and decisive.  Any less conviction about it and it gives the defenders an easy chance to intercept.  It was also the right choice - he could easily have decided to head for the byline

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's a really good pass; firm, and decisive.  Any less conviction about it and it gives the defenders an easy chance to intercept.  It was also the right choice - he could easily have decided to head for the byline

It's actually slightly better than I thought. He still needs to improve his end product and decision making overall if he's to feature a lot this season for me.

2 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

It's actually slightly better than I thought. He still needs to improve his end product and decision making overall if he's to feature a lot this season for me.

The way this season had gone I think it's harsh judging anyone.  He scored a few last season and certainly has something different to offer.  Sure he's not the finished article but he's had a stuttery career so hope he can kick on

1 hour ago, Ackey said:

The most notable thing about Green in the games I've seen, even at Bromley which was a thankless task, is he wants the ball. He's been the only player other than Kitching who actually wants possession and is willing to keep the ball, look for a run or pass but without it needing to be immediate. 

His production wasn't always ideal (Bromley he ran down a dead end at least twice) but I'd be hopeful that comes with both patience and opportunity - if he makes those kinds of runs in a game where other players are also doing the same (which is what infuriated about Unsy ball most - it was so static) then he could be a very useful creative outlet.

I agree, I actually thought he did ok last night and caused York problems and even though his marker was as quick if not quicker than him he generally got around him. A bit careless at times but there’s a reason he’s  in the national league I suppose . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

We all see things differently, we all have different opinions after a game. If you don't think somebody played well there's nothing wrong with saying that. I call it how I see it, Someone plays well I'll say it, same if they don't. People might disagree, that's fine. But you can argue your point without the need to call people embarrassing and such.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The way this season had gone I think it's harsh judging anyone.  He scored a few last season and certainly has something different to offer.  Sure he's not the finished article but he's had a stuttery career so hope he can kick on

He's got the attributes to be a good option for sure, maybe under a new manager he can improve. And I'd be absolutely delighted if he did.

13 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Bit harsh. Thought they were a tidy side. 

couple of comments from the radio York commentary

- talking about York  'they seem to make every side look good'- how many times did we say that under DU?

-talking about the result 'a straight forward home win'- it is a while since we have put a fe of those together , lets hope this is the start.

Very happy with the win. I will take plenty more like that this season.

Re: Green.

I think with a player like him, you have to accept that a winger at conference level will not have consistent end-product. If he puts 2-3 score-able crosses in a game, that is enough.

I remember a couple last night where he whipped them in, but no on gambled at the near post.

He won‘t play at a higher level, but is ok for us at the moment.