MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 30/09/23

1 hour ago, aaronoafc said:

Bit random but how are these stats compiled for these various lower league stats websites? I assume it’s that sports vest/bra thing they all wear? how can that track pass completion, forward/back passes etc?

Legit question, never looked into how it all works. Can understand higher up the leagues where there’s a million eye balls and club staff members watching every aspect of every player but lower league I assume its compiled from the vests?

Im not actually sure you know. It has every game played in pretty much every pro and semi pro league and even academies in the world with stats and full match video so i cant imagine theres a poor bloke locked in a room counting how many times nathan sheron has misplaced yet another 5 yard pass. My guess is its a combination of human and software. 

7 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

So basically we should have signed Booty who we where linked with 😂😂

I do realise his stats for most things will probably be higher this season given how Gateshead play

yeah we really should have. Best in the league last year even at maidenhead passing wise and the best again so far this year.

10 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

1. Noor Husin at Southend

2. Corey Whitely at Bromley
3. Jamey Osborne at Southend
(Booty 4th on the index)

Was impressed with Husin when we played Southend at home last season. They bossed the midfield and he was at the heart of it. Same with Osborne who controlled everything in the middle for Solihull. We dearly need a played like that in the centre of our midfield or at least hope Lundstram becomes that player.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, Monty Burns said:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/september/30092023-thompson-post-wealdstone-a/

1. l'm getting new midfielder, new winger vibes.

2. give him the job until june and free hit ourselves to the title. he's been everywhere and seen everything, but still got Gawbie in his accent. lve said you can see his thought and honesty in interviews and to see him pulling his earlobes proves it (sorry for the cheap psychology).

I like ST. Comes across as down to earth and honest.

• Like 3

Bit of a delayed response on this but there are a few points I'd like to make about Saturday and Thomo.

Firstly we were outplayed by Wealdstone big time and anyone who thinks we were not is deluded. We were really lucky to scrape a point....as we were lucky to scrape a win at Kidderminster midweek. Wealdstone played decent football, always looking to get the ball forward and to feet, passed us off the park, and got the ball wide to quick trickey wingers which caused us all sorts of problems. It was far too easy for them to pass both around and through us, and they just looked a better drilled team than we did. Our tactics were clearly not to press our opponents, which I assume came from the manager, and which I just dont get. We just seem to sit in and invite pressure. If we had lost 2 or 3-1 we couldn't have complained.

We were just far too narrow and created very little in the whole 90 mins. The gap between our midfield and front men grew bigger as the game went on, and we lost possession time and time again trying to play passes which just were not on. I know it's been said many times but Shelton and Sheron just cant play together if we want to play a front foot progressive game.

Again as some have said already, the set up in the last 2 games, particularly at Wealdstone, have been no different than at for example Boreham Wood or Chesterfield. It was classic Rhino tactics sitting deeper and deeper, with no real ideas on how to turn things around. We should be giving our oppo far more to think about.

The positives were we squeezed out a point, are now unbeaten in 4 and Lundstram looked OK when he came on, at least looking for forward passes rather than sideways and backwards.

We need to remember Thomo has been in charge of games against relegation fodder in 24th, 20th, 19th and 15th so far. Our next 4 games are against 21st, 17th, 7th(Dogdale) and 22nd so let's not get carried away. He really couldnt have chosen a better run of games to cut his teath!

We should be sitting safely in the play off places after the Fylde game in my view, so let's judge him on the games in November and after this, before considering giving him the job full time. He says he knows what to do to put it things right so lets see what he can do, because it's not quite right at the moment.

I sat next to Frank for the 2H at Wealdstone and he made a few comments about our negative approach, and didn't seem particularly impressed with it, so I'd expect him to sanction a couple of loans/signings to bolster the midfield and wide areas in particular in the next week or so.

Dont get me wrong, I'm delighted with the results since Thomo has taken charge, and it seems to be much better at home, but I see far more away games than home games these days, and to me our away performances under Thomo have been no better under Rhino.

We have Alty, Dogdale, Woking and Barnet all away before the end of November, with hopefully a fit Ward, Lundstram and Gardiner available in midfield, which will give us a better idea of how he see's us setting up, and if we are serious promotion contenders.

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Bit of a delayed response on this but there are a few points I'd like to make about Saturday and Thomo.

Firstly we were outplayed by Wealdstone big time and anyone who thinks we were not is deluded. We were really lucky to scrape a point....as we were lucky to scrape a win at Kidderminster midweek. Wealdstone played decent football, always looking to get the ball forwrad and to feet, passed us off the park, and got the ball wide to quick trickey wingers which caused us all sorts of problems. It was far too easy for them to pass both around and through us, and they just looked a better drilled team than we did. Our tactics were clearly not to press our opponents, which I assume came from the manager, and I which I just dont get. We just seem to sit in and invite pressure. If we had lost 2 or 3-1 we couldn't have complained.

We were just far too narrow and created very little in the whole 90 mins. The gap between our midfield and front men grew bigger as the game went on, and we lost possession time and time again trying to play passes which just were not on. I know it's been said many times but Shelton and Sheron just cant play together if we want to play a front foot progressive game.

Again as some have said already, the set up in the last 2 games, particularly at Wealdstone, have been no different than at for example Boreham Wood or Chesterfield. It was classic Rhino tactics sitting deeper and deeper, with no real ideas on how to turn things around. We should be giving our oppo far more to think about.

The positives were we squeezed out a point, are now unbeaten in 4 and Lundstram looked OK when he came on, at least looking for forward passes rather than sideways and backwards.

We need to remember Thomo has been in charge of games against relegation fodder in 24th, 20th, 19th and 15th so far. Our next 4 games are against 21st, 17th, 7th(Dogdale) and 22nd so let's not get carried away. He really couldnt have chosen a better run of games to cut his teath!

We should be sitting safely in the play off places after the Fylde game in my view, so let's judge him on the games in November and after this, before considering giving him the job full time. He says he knows what to do to put it things right so lets see what he can do, because it's not quite right at the moment.

I sat next to Frank for the 2H at Wealdstone and he made a few comments about our negative approach, and didn't seem particularly impressed with it, so I'd expect him to sanction a couple of loans/signings to bolster the midfield and wide areas in particular in the next week or so.

Dont get me wrong, I'm delighted with the results since Thomo has taken charge, and it seems to be much better at home, but I see far more away games than home games these days, and to me our away performances under Thomo have been no better under Rhino.

We have Alty, Dogdale, Woking and Barnet all away before the end of November, with hopefully a fit Ward, Lundstram and Gardiner available in midfield, which will give us a better idea of how he see's us setting up, and if we are serious promotion contenders.

I agree with most of this although i disagree Kidderminster played us off the park, we were up against it for parts of the game, but we had plenty of chances to win it which we did. I only saw Wealdstone highlights but everyone is saying we were lucky. Our ball retention still worries me, a  legacy from DU tactics which needs changing asap. ST started positively enough and York was a breath of fresh air after watching us under Unsworth, probably looked better than we actually were after enduring that tripe. I don’t think we can realistically measure whether ST will be suitable or not yet but win the next two and I think he will get it, inferior opposition or not, we’ve struggled against most opponents anyway over the last year. 

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

I agree with most of this although i disagree Kidderminster played us off the park, we were up against it for parts of the game, but we had plenty of chances to win it which we did. I only saw Wealdstone highlights but everyone is saying we were lucky. Our ball retention still worries me, a  legacy from DU tactics which needs changing asap. ST started positively enough and York was a breath of fresh air after watching us under Unsworth, probably looked better than we actually were after enduring that tripe. I don’t think we can realistically measure whether ST will be suitable or not yet but win the next two and I think he will get it, inferior opposition or not, we’ve struggled against most opponents anyway over the last year. 

Sorry if unclear Tru Tic, but I didn't imply Kidderminster played us off the park. A draw would have been a fair result there I think. 

It was Wealdstone who passed is off the park....😬 

I do hope we take our time on the next mangers appointment though. There really is no rush at the moment, and if and when the board think Thomo deserves it I have no issue with that. Just think he needs to demonstrate we can go tow to toe against decent oppo. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Sorry if unclear Tru Tic, but I didn't imply Kidderminster played us off the park. A draw would have been a fair result there I think. 

It was Wealdstone who passed is off the park....😬 

I do hope we take our time on the next mangers appointment though. There really is no rush at the moment, and if and when the board think Thomo deserves it I have no issue with that. Just think he needs to demonstrate we can go tow to toe against decent oppo. 

Sorry yes I just read back and realised !! 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Won't quote the whole post, but pretty much agree with every word Londonboy said. Saturday was truly dreadful and felt like a complete re-run of the Boreham Wood match I attended a month ago. Very disappointing...

It’s fine to be disappointed/ want more from a performance, and I’m sure it will come with time and signing someone who can look after the ball.  But, let’s not forget any manager’s Job is to win football matches and Thompson is doing a good job of it so far.