MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 30/09/23

3 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

After 4 games unbeaten including 4 away points we find ourselves 2 points from the playoffs. 

Almost certainly any prospective new manager will have been watching our games.

Almost certainly they will now have a opinion of what needs strengthening 

Almost certainly money will be available to strengthen the team as they think necessary.

No way is it necessary for us to go banging on about our midfield and right back when we have improved our results and League position far beyond anything we could have reasonably expected 4 games ago. 

We’re doing ok in the right direction. 

FFS don't start making reasonable posts like that on here, you'll get slaughtered.

Just now, SpotTheBall85 said:

Don't know how we're going backwards when we've just picked up 10 points from the last 4 games? That's an improvement if anything.

It can happen, we played better away at Gateshead than either Tuesday or today, that wasn't an argument for keeping Unsworth and piss poor performances regardless of what they yield shouldn't for Thompson. 

We've had the bounce, it's going flat for me.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It can happen, we played better away at Gateshead than either Tuesday or today, that wasn't an argument for keeping Unsworth and piss poor performances regardless of what they yield shouldn't for Thompson. 

We've had the bounce, it's going flat for me.

What a bizarre comparison.

Gateshead came after 40 odd games of utter shite. . . and while we played well. We still didn’t win. 

Thompson is unbeaten in his first four games. . . and you’re argument is - yeah yeah, we might have taken 10 points in 12 but it’s going flat. 😂

We aren’t the finished article, and we need one or two changes- so no manager is suddenly going to turn us into a team that steam rollers everyone.

We’ll have to grind at times. Like Tuesday. Like today.

4 points from Two away trips? 

Yes please. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Does the youth team have no central midfielders? Absolutely bizarre to keep consistently picking those two together.

That is the one thing that worries me about Tommo. Why does he start Shelton again?  He has seen the same as us. Shelton and Sheron cannot be together. Again and again the Oldham performance has been terrible with those two.  Sheron had done well when with someone else. 
I get it that there is not much choice, but try something different! Shelton has to be a last resort!

• Like 1

That’s 2 games in a row where if the opposition had our strikers we’d have been beaten comfortably. 

Too often when in possession the ball is moved around quite slowly. Receive, take a touch, look up, look to pass, oh too late. 

Don’t know if that’s a hangover from DU or not but it’d be nice to see us move it around faster and create openings. Much like Wealdstone did. If we don’t have the central midfielder to dictate play then everyone needs to play their part with team passing. 

I like the way ST makes formation changes as it’s proactive but the team still isn’t clicking away from home when it comes to passing and creating chances.

I think we have the players, mostly, so just needs the right coaching team to get it working. Or more time for ST and NR if it’s to be them. 

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

That is the one thing that worries me about Tommo. Why does he start Shelton again?  He has seen the same as us. Shelton and Sheron cannot be together. Again and again the Oldham performance has been terrible with those two.  Sheron had done well when with someone else. 
I get it that there is not much choice, but try something different! Shelton has to be a last resort!

Out of interest, who would you have put in central midfield alongside Sheron, bearing in mind Lundstram has just come back from a 2 month injury?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Who else would you have played in midfield

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

This is the thing though Gardner is injured, Lundstrum has been injured, and Ward is probably injured. So Shelton is the last resort they will know this.

It's unlikely any changes in the squad will be made until a new appointment is confirmed.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Wondering if I watched a different game to everyone else on here. Wealdstone are one of the better footballing sides I’ve seen in this league. Play it around on the floor well and solid at the back. We struggled with this at times, most teams would at this level, but there were several times in the game we were on top. A draw was a fair result. They are a team well versed in a good style of play we’re a better team man for man but still not fully de-Rhino-balled. Lundstrom coming on showed a sign of what we can expect when everyone is back. Norwood looks like he’s going to enjoy playing with him. 

yes I was disappointed we didn’t win today but it was a genuinely good game with both teams having several chances. Both teams will be around the play off spots this season. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Dickinson next to Sheron. 

With tollit on the left. 

Dickinson is goosed and wouldn't last half hour in there.

Regardless of who gets the gig we STILL need a couple of bodies in the centre of the pitch, Shelton shouldn't be anywhere near our eleven, they must see he's not up to it at the minute and there is direct correlation between Shelton being on the pitch and us being given the runaround, we just cant get a foot hold in games and really we should play one up front to accommodate it because we can't get our foot on the ball. 

Picking him for me is a sackable offence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philsalt said:

Wondering if I watched a different game to everyone else on here. Wealdstone are one of the better footballing sides I’ve seen in this league. Play it around on the floor well and solid at the back. We struggled with this at times, most teams would at this level, but there were several times in the game we were on top. A draw was a fair result. They are a team well versed in a good style of play we’re a better team man for man but still not fully de-Rhino-balled. Lundstrom coming on showed a sign of what we can expect when everyone is back. Norwood looks like he’s going to enjoy playing with him. 

yes I was disappointed we didn’t win today but it was a genuinely good game with both teams having several chances. Both teams will be around the play off spots this season. 

You did watch a different game, at no stage today did we control that game or have the better of it, against part time footballers.

Same problems exist : no midfielder capable of stamping his authority on the game and controlling possesion , we need a midfielder with these qualities to blend with the existing midfielders. Also another glarringly obvious point is we still desperatley need a right back . Everything is coming at Will Sutton and he struggles to cope  He will be a great CB eventually , he has a great attitude and shows lots of desire. But he aint a RB, he gets caught out of position so much it gives the opposition so much of a lift. Some would say he was to blame for the equalizer on Tuesday night . But you cant fault the lads effort he is just being played out of position. Board needs to act this week to appoint a manager so these problems can be addressed . Dont even know who is in the hat apart from Thommo, personally I would prefer him to get the job. Although I think Mellon would also be a good choice if he is interested.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Dickinson is goosed and wouldn't last half hour in there.

Regardless of who gets the gig we STILL need a couple of bodies in the centre of the pitch, Shelton shouldn't be anywhere near our eleven, they must see he's not up to it at the minute and there is direct correlation between Shelton being on the pitch and us being given the runaround, we just cant get a foot hold in games and really we should play one up front to accommodate it because we can't get our foot on the ball. 

Picking him for me is a sackable offence.

I said Dickenson to tide us over, he can tackle, can pass and likes a shot, but he’s not the answer moving forward. 

I agree, we desperately need a ball playing midfielder. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Same problems exist : no midfielder capable of stamping his authority on the game and controlling possesion , we need a midfielder with these qualities to blend with the existing midfielders. Also another glarringly obvious point is we still desperatley need a right back .

Spot on. 

Where is Freeman?? 

24 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

Out of interest, who would you have put in central midfield alongside Sheron, bearing in mind Lundstram has just come back from a 2 month injury?

I guess that’s what I want to see worked out by the manager.  Get an emergency loan in. Try playing our best ball playing defensive CD there and give Sheron licence to roam. Dickenson as suggested by others. Try something, but don’t play Shelton. It doesn’t work!

16 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

How did Lundstram look? I’ve been out so didn’t get to watch it but I know Shelton needs putting out to pasture.

He will need two or three games to get up to speed, should start Tuesday hopefully. He isn't the Pirlo many of our fans are expecting but he's a definite upgrade and will look after the ball better.

Edited by yarddog73

as an oldham fan for 60 years i sometimes despair of our fans , given our injuries who else could have played in midfield and 10 points from 4 games what more do you want ffs , and yes wealdstone had 4 loans so hardly part time , so ok not the best football at times but come on a local guy managing with murray and redfern assisting what more do you want , have you got short term memory loss from 2 years ago , get a grip 

• Like 12

Just now, rossy52 said:

as an oldham fan for 60 years i sometimes despair of our fans , given our injuries who else could have played in midfield and 10 points from 4 games what more do you want ffs , and yes wealdstone had 4 loans so hardly part time , so ok not the best football at times but come on a local guy managing with murray and redfern assisting what more do you want , have you got short term memory loss from 2 years ago , get a grip 

I want to see something different and can see it going tits up if we give it him, being as the club are interviewing potential candidates I think it's fair game to speculate and debate.

Fresh start for me on what I've seen, Thompson can always go back in to his old role, if they are going to give it him they should announce it and back him with a couple of players.