MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 30/09/23

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I want to see something different and can see it going tits up if we give it him, being as the club are interviewing potential candidates I think it's fair game to speculate and debate.

Fresh start for me on what I've seen, Thompson can always go back in to his old role, if they are going to give it him they should announce it and back him with a couple of players. 

We have seen something different, though.

The first two games were unlike anything we saw under Unsworth.

The Kidderminster game wasn't like an Unsworth game in my opinion, because we didn't give them a load of chances - we were solid at the back, had a game plan that was adapted to the situation, made the right changes and it worked.

I didn't see the game today, but Thommo's showed enough in his first three to suggest he's nothing like Unsworth.

As I say, win and win well on Tuesday and it's a terrific start.

• Like 3

Football has always been divisive and fans are never going to agree with each other 100%. I wonder what the Chesterfield fans are thinking, with their table-topping team managing to scrape a 1-1 away at bottom four Maidenhead United? Shit happens, only, it would have been much shittier under Unsworth as Latics would have probably lost today and not have 10pts from 12 under their belt.

Thompson seemed to allude to him and Redfearn looking at players to bring in or did I misread that? He knows what the team needs, whether he gets it or not, who knows? I think the club will appoint someone else and I kind of agree with yarddog73 that Thompson, whilst doing okay, is not the man for the job long-term.

A win on Tuesday should be achievable, hopefully Gardner can start but yes, I agree that Shelton is the weakest link in the team and should be replaced as soon as possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Football has always been divisive and fans are never going to agree with each other 100%. I wonder what the Chesterfield fans are thinking, with their table-topping team managing to scrape a 1-1 away at bottom four Maidenhead United? Shit happens, only, it would have been much shittier under Unsworth as Latics would have probably lost today and not have 10pts from 12 under their belt.

Thompson seemed to allude to him and Redfearn looking at players to bring in or did I misread that? He knows what the team needs, whether he gets it or not, who knows? I think the club will appoint someone else and I kind of agree with yarddog73 that Thompson, whilst doing okay, is not the man for the job long-term.

A win on Tuesday should be achievable, hopefully Gardner can start but yes, I agree that Shelton is the weakest link in the team and should be replaced as soon as possible.

Gardner will be out for ages. 

12 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's a definite coin toss between Shelton and Sutton as to who gets the Ann Robinson vote of confidence.

29 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I’m sure ST definitely alluded to him and Redfern looking at bringing players “to help”, sounds like loans to me but what do I know 

Thought I’d try and watch Shelton closely today and for me he wasn’t anywhere near as bad as is being made out. 

He and the team started well and he was getting on the ball and looking forward more than he had done. Then the team was pushed back and everyone struggled to get forward after that. 

2nd half he played further forward in a 4231 it looked like. Dickenson and Sheron behind him, Green and Willoughby with Reid up top. We looked better but no one getting on the ball. 

He gets stick for tackling and stuff but I don’t think that’s his game. Seems like a lot are writing him off but I I think there’s a player in there somewhere but he’s low on confidence and I’m not sure we play the ball well enough through the midfield to suit him. We’re very slow on the ball, maybe he does better in a quick passing team?

Wasn’t the worst and I don’t think he warrants being singled out. Sutton, Sheron, Green and Willoughby all off the pace today.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’m sure ST definitely alluded to him and Redfern looking at bringing players “to help”, sounds like loans to me but what do I know 

Didn't Wealdstone have four players "helping them out"? Ironically, their top scorer is on loan from Rochdale. I can't see any new players being brought in until the managerial appointment is resolved. Hopefully Lundstrum gives us what we are missing in the midfield. 

No pressure. 

10/12 is a great return. I'd sign up for that for the rest of the season no question.

Its a sign of the turnaround that it feels like today was a missed opportunity with Chesterfield dropping points.

We remain 2/10/15 pts off the playoffs/ the better playoffs/ automatic

Could have been 2/8/13.

Let's see what Tuesday brings

Can’t believe some people are saying Thompson not the man after last two. He’s done very well for me. They have barely had time to work on anything with back to back games. He’s got us 10 points from 4 and made sensible decisions. They all seem happy and have been set up well enough, no one is coming in and getting much more out of the team in same time frame. We clearly need a fair bit of work, as everyone can see midfield is short as is right back, but confident we will be up there with Thompson or someone else. However, lundstrom ward and freeman needed asap along with some serious time on training ground 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Ward and Freeman bring little to the table for me, Lundstrum will add something but we are still short. 

Jeez Yardy. . 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ward has hardly played due to injury. 

Freeman was great against Aldershot, and it was obvious he was a class player for this level. 

Why are you so down on us? We’re on a good run, with Lundy and Freeman coming back and adding the one or two required things are looking good. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Thought I’d try and watch Shelton closely today and for me he wasn’t anywhere near as bad as is being made out. 

He and the team started well and he was getting on the ball and looking forward more than he had done. Then the team was pushed back and everyone struggled to get forward after that. 

2nd half he played further forward in a 4231 it looked like. Dickenson and Sheron behind him, Green and Willoughby with Reid up top. We looked better but no one getting on the ball. 

He gets stick for tackling and stuff but I don’t think that’s his game. Seems like a lot are writing him off but I I think there’s a player in there somewhere but he’s low on confidence and I’m not sure we play the ball well enough through the midfield to suit him. We’re very slow on the ball, maybe he does better in a quick passing team?

Wasn’t the worst and I don’t think he warrants being singled out. Sutton, Sheron, Green and Willoughby all off the pace today.

I honestly believe that Shelton will turn out to be a good player for us and will be one of the ones who will benefit from midfield reinforcements. Wouldnt mind betting he has some of the best match stats mileage wise .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

I honestly believe that Shelton will turn out to be a good player for us and will be one of the ones who will benefit from midfield reinforcements. Wouldnt mind betting he has some of the best match stats mileage wise .

You wouldnt believe it but Shelton (13th) and Sheron (24th) are in the top 30 central midfielders in the league stats wise, according to Wyscout index

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Jeez Yardy. . 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ward has hardly played due to injury. 

Freeman was great against Aldershot, and it was obvious he was a class player for this level. 

Why are you so down on us? We’re on a good run, with Lundy and Freeman coming back and adding the one or two required things are looking good. 

Watched plenty of Ward pre season and I don't think he'll add anything other than cover for Dickinson, ball retention and creativity is on a par with Shelton.

Freeman was rumoured to be not quite there fitness wise, I can't see how being out of the mix for a week or two is going to help that although the way Sutton played today he may well be reintroduced.

We need players and desperately, this lob sided squad needs some balance, I'm all for them having an identity but we are a million miles away and the way we sat off today and set up so deep worries me, we also lacked passion and desire today to win the individual battles, Green and Kitching were anonymous and Hogan was as poor as I've seen him since last season.

10 points from 12 is a good return but nobody can get away from the fact we've been played off the park twice this week by the team at the bottom and another who started the day in 13th, it's probably worth remembering we've played nobody yet under Thompson either all four currently sit 15th, 19th, 20th and 24th so sorry for not getting too giddy.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

For running around after balls they've misplaced I suspect.

"Central midfielder: Goals, Chances created, Through passes, Loose ball duels won, Shots on target, Pressing attempts, Assists, Aerial duels won, Interceptions, Defensive duels won"

I reckon so yeah 😂

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Watched plenty of Ward pre season and I don't think he'll add anything other than cover for Dickinson, ball retention and creativity is on a par with Shelton

So, you’ve cast a player aside on training games. . dear me. 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Freeman was rumoured to be not quite there fitness wise, I can't see how being out of the mix for a week or two is going to help that although the way Sutton played today he may well be reintroduced.

He wasn’t fit, because he hadn’t played a lot. But despite that was still class when he played. So we have a very good right back on the books. 

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We need players and desperately, this lob sided squad needs some balance,

Who? 

Cover for Kitching. 
Cover for Freeman

A ball playing centre mid. 

Two are cover signings, so really we need one player. And we can’t be desperate after 10 points in 12, that’s nonsensical. 

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

10 points from 12 is a good return but nobody can get away from the fact we've been played off the park twice this week by the team at the bottom and another who started the day in 13th

. . . And took 4 points after supposedly being played off the park. 

The argument - we’re winning but it’s not good enough just doesn’t cut it. 

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

so sorry for not getting too giddy.

I’m not giddy, more just pleased how’s it going. 

• Like 3