MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 30/09/23

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not convinced we are getting anything different at the minute, of course we'll get a bounce with the new man... 

I often agree with the points you make, yarddog; you say it as you see it. However, I can't agree that we're not getting anything different. With regard to your observation in bold, we certainly didn't get any new manager bounce when DU came in, he won 1 in his first 11 - and lost 7!

Therein lies the problem. We had such a poor previous manager, drilling Lord knows what into the players, that there is a legacy that needs eradicating as quickly as possible. It doesn't happen overnight; cautious, nervous players need to unlearn the nonsense they have been taught previously before feeling confident in developing a new way of playing (ST's "identity"). 

Personally, I think ST is doing very well with the whole of what he inherited. Above anyone else, he should be free of criticism for a while in my book. Let him carry on the good job he is presently doing and let's not rush anything appointment wise.

Edited by wiseowl
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Asking a lot, I think, for an interim manager to have a complete reset and implement his own preferred style.  He's not going to get the job by playing in a different style and not getting results

I mean he wants the job doesn’t he ? So for me that’s the best period for him to show both the fans and board what type of football we can expect from a ST team. 

Im not expecting us to play like City overnight. I am also not on ST’s back, I think he’s doing a a very good job currently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, and even if it were true, just because players might be part time it doesn't mean they are no good or not fit. Plenty of semi-pros earn a good living from combining a job outside football with playing part time. Gives them more security and I suspect they play all the better for that.

This league is very tough to get out of. We are in it for a reason and while we're moving in the right direction, it's going to take time and patience, short of spending crazy money (and even that won't guarantee promotion).

Frustrating thing is we have spent crazy money relative to most in this division, and we're still given the runaround by a bunch of part timers....

• Matt unfeatured this topic
5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Even Unsworth would probably have managed 7 points from those 4.

As well as Thommo has done he shouldn’t be given the gig just based on the performances so far.

But are people saying to give him the job based on the 4 games so far ? People are saying we have made positive steps forward with results and they are leaning more towards Thommo getting it because of this. 

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Even Unsworth would probably have managed 7 points from those 4.

As well as Thommo has done he shouldn’t be given the gig just based on the performances so far.

I don’t think he would have even managed that. We would have stood off from York and let them get round us. Potentially we would have got something from Oxford, maybe 3 or 4 points from those 2. Kidderminster we would have folded - I went and al thought we were under pressure for good parts of the game there was a different spirit about us. Wealdstone ? no chance. Just my opinion of course but after his first 9 games this season with no signs of improvement, we weren’t getting much from the next 4 with DU. 

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I often agree with the points you make, yarddog; you say it as you see it. However, I can't agree that we're not getting anything different. With regard to your observation in bold, we certainly didn't get any new manager bounce when DU came in, he won 1 in his first 11 - and lost 7!

Therein lies the problem. We had such a poor previous manager, drilling Lord knows what into the players, that there is a legacy that needs eradicating as quickly as possible. It doesn't happen overnight; cautious, nervous players need to unlearn the nonsense they have been taught previously before feeling confident in developing a new way of playing (ST's "identity"). 

Personally, I think ST is doing very well with the whole of what he inherited. Above anyone else, he should be free of criticism for a while in my book. Let him carry on the good job he is presently doing and let's not rush anything appointment wise.

Very fair point about Thompson and I'm probably being unfair to him specifically given what they've achieved so far under him, if it's his I hop they give him the players he needs and quickly.

• Like 1

After 4 games there's no chance anyone knows whether ST is the man.  Even given his points haul is good due to the poor sides played. Let's face it even in those games we haven't been brilliant. The odd passage of decent play and some good finishes that's it. 

I always have nagging doubts about taking on a manager who were part of the team that's done shocking bad.

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We went to part time Wealdstone at the weekend and were given a footballing lesson, apparently Wealdstone are not even having a training session this week given they are away at Gateshead on Tuesday evening so it is just work-rest-play for that group, now is it too much to ask for us to be competitive against them or even have a mindset that we are better than teams like that? If nothing else we should have a competitive edge? Talking them up is part of the problem it's defeatist for me.

Now I know it's early days for Thompson but this mindset about worrying about others has to change particularly when we go to these shitty little grounds with a few hundred fans, we shouldn't be fearing no one.

Listen to opposition managers post match, they all bar none know we are going to sit in, surrender possession and hope to nick one on the break, that has to change. I don't care who we play from Chesterfield to Kidderminster we should be showing more and taking it to teams particularly with the forwards we have at our disposal.

Untill we sort out RB and Midfield expect much of the same away from home we dont have the players . Wealdstone lost at Chesterfield by the odd goal and beat Woking before playing us . Think people sometimes  over estimate our forwards and no one has found the right balance yet. One thing for sure though if fit Norwood should play. Maybe Fondop will return tonight and get sent off lol.

26 minutes ago, Lags said:

After 4 games there's no chance anyone knows whether ST is the man.  Even given his points haul is good due to the poor sides played. Let's face it even in those games we haven't been brilliant. The odd passage of decent play and some good finishes that's it. 

I always have nagging doubts about taking on a manager who were part of the team that's done shocking bad.

l don't think he was a DU appointment came more from Darren n Joe.

one person l am glad is still here is the physio/mental health monitor/medical font of knowlege/head of fitness and life Baz. cant remember his real name. Mick sumat?

14 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Untill we sort out RB and Midfield expect much of the same away from home we dont have the players . Wealdstone lost at Chesterfield by the odd goal and beat Woking before playing us . Think people sometimes  over estimate our forwards and no one has found the right balance yet. One thing for sure though if fit Norwood should play. Maybe Fondop will return tonight and get sent off lol.

I am still absolutely baffled by this right back situation. It’s completely unacceptable! 

When did Clarke get dropped, about 12 months ago ? Baffling. I feel for Sutton. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l don't think he was a DU appointment came more from Darren n Joe.

one person l am glad is still here is the physio/mental health monitor/medical font of knowlege/head of fitness and life Baz. cant remember his real name. Mick sumat?

Rathbone

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wiseowl said:

However, I can't agree that we're not getting anything different. With regard to your observation in bold, we certainly didn't get any new manager bounce when DU came in, he won 1 in his first 11 - and lost 7!

Spot on. 

I remember the early Unsworth games vividly, because I was expecting a bounce and a bright new dawn. But it was abject from the off, and me and Joe on here got pelters for saying it really early into his tenure. But it was obvious the players hadn’t had any reaction to his arrival. 

Fast forward 12 months, and we’ve got players smiling, looking like they’re at it and enjoying the environment, scoring goals and most importantly- getting results. The tactics and personal can and will evolve. But what is crystal clear straight away is that ST has credibility and respect of the players. Which is far more than Unsworth ever had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I am still absolutely baffled by this right back situation. It’s completely unacceptable! 

When did Clarke get dropped, about 12 months ago ? Baffling. I feel for Sutton. 

Sutton first played at RB against Dorking in January 2023. I think Clarke may have played in the backs against the wall draw against Notts County on New Year's Day but his confidence looked shot as the boo boy du jour. 

4 hours ago, ceskylatic said:

We’re now a National League club with National League players, bar 3, maybe 4 players.

Right - but most teams in this league don't have any players you'd consider to be of a higher bar. Indeed many teams have players of a lower one.

It's of course unrealistic to think we can win 4-0 every week, but equally our expectations given the budget and all the trimmings we have is surely to be top 2. Anything less than that is a failure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ackey said:

Right - but most teams in this league don't have any players you'd consider to be of a higher bar. Indeed many teams have players of a lower one.

It's of course unrealistic to think we can win 4-0 every week, but equally our expectations given the budget and all the trimmings we have is surely to be top 2. Anything less than that is a failure.

Anything less than top 7 is failure not top 2. But apart from that I agree with your overall point.

11 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

If we finish 6th or 7th and bomb out in the playoffs that’s definitely a failure.

Nah, not from here it isn't we currently sit 12th with no manager 2 weeks ago we were 22nd with no manager if we finish 6th or 7th with a solid management team and structure behind us allowing us to rebound to go up the following season then I won't see that as failure.

I won't see it as success, but I will see it as progress and the experience gained by being involved in a promotion push as a collective can very much do us good. We've already seen how things can go wrong, more things can go wrong between now and the end of the season (they probably will) Top 7 is high enough expectations right now.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Sutton first played at RB against Dorking in January 2023. I think Clarke may have played in the backs against the wall draw against Notts County on New Year's Day but his confidence looked shot as the boo boy du jour. 

the frustrating thing is, Clarke would have been fine if played as a right back in a back 4! He was asked to play RWB, then Unsy decided he was surplus to requirements as was to be expected given he was never a RWB. 

Clarke asked to leave the club in that summer and we said no… 

36 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

the frustrating thing is, Clarke would have been fine if played as a right back in a back 4! He was asked to play RWB, then Unsy decided he was surplus to requirements as was to be expected given he was never a RWB. 

Clarke asked to leave the club in that summer and we said no… 

One of the worst to pull on the shirt in recent times in my opinion.