MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 30/09/23

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So, you’ve cast a player aside on training games. . dear me. 

He wasn’t fit, because he hadn’t played a lot. But despite that was still class when he played. So we have a very good right back on the books. 

Who? 

Cover for Kitching. 
Cover for Freeman

A ball playing centre mid. 

Two are cover signings, so really we need one player. And we can’t be desperate after 10 points in 12, that’s nonsensical. 

. . . And took 4 points after supposedly being played off the park. 

The argument - we’re winning but it’s not good enough just doesn’t cut it. 

I’m not giddy, more just pleased how’s it going. 

Given Dickinson and Green both looked fucked today I'd suggest we need some wide players Thompson is prepared to use, neither really give you a full 90 but we've that many other issues they rarely name cover on the bench.

10 points from 12 is a good return, I don't think anybody is disputing that. Saying performances (at least the last 2) haven't been great is, at least to me, pretty reasonable. I was concerned with the setup today with Reid and Willoughby upfront and I don't think it worked. Those 2 will work hard for you but they need the ball either in behind or in to feet. Too often we ended up lumping balls up to them because we lack the composure to do anything other than that, especially on turnovers. I remember Reid getting played in behind twice, once because wealdstone gave it away in their own half and the other they actually played him in for us. I thought throughout the game we were a bit too rigid in attack, green hardly ever drifted infield which is where he's been most dangerous the last few games. It may have been due to us wanting to be more compact defensively and I think we probably didn't quite get the balance right today. Sutton had a poor game, was really targeted by their quick skillful players. The same problem we always have when Sheron and Shelton start together is that it puts a lot of responsibility for playmaking onto the shoulders of Dickenson, and they did well to get men on him quickly and it really hurt our attack. I thought on the balance of play we were maybe a shade fortunate to come away with a point but I'll take it nonetheless.

I would have snatched your hand off for 10 points from 4 games after unsy bit the bullet but these were 4 very winnable games and improvements will be needed.

• Like 2

We were on the whole pretty poor overall today, and yes they looked a decent side and played some good football, and had that identity within their game which ST has said he wants us to have, but they created very little in the final third, with Hudson not having to make any saves of note that I remember. We created as many clear cut chances as them. 
I don’t buy this “we’re a million miles off it” bollocks. The gaps are clear for all to see…. Fill those 2 gaps, and fill them well, and we’ll be challenging, and I think we’ll challenge even with our current squad. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, daniel said:

don’t buy this “we’re a million miles off it” bollocks. The gaps are clear for all to see…. Fill those 2 gaps, and fill them well, and we’ll be challenging, and I think we’ll challenge even with our current squad. 

Spot on Dan. 

The first two games Gardner played and we looked really good. He gets injured and we have to grind because we can’t keep possession or play through the lines. 

With Freeman coming back in. We’re one player short of being a decent side. 

• Like 1

Personally, id still go for a seasoned man. And that would be Mellon (now Clarke has gone to Cheltenham).

Its no slight on Thompson, I just want experience both in this league and getting promotion.

I also think Reid and Kurt won’t ever work as a starting frontline, but it does make a difference when they both come on against tiring defences as there’s some unfit fodder of defences in this league. Preference would be Norwood and one of them, probably Kurt as Reid has proven to be effective off the bench.

I agree with @yarddog73 in that we’re still light. I think we need another CM so we’re not fucked when Gardner and Lundstram are out, and another winger because we’re playing Green into the ground.

Edited by sjk2008

Ward is a good player for me, although yarddog has already written him off weeks ago based on training games. Which I think is harsh but thats why we are here its all about opinions. Reid for me today flattered to decieve given his chance yes he scored , but he doesnt do enough of the dirty work . Was a great finish but that starting pairing does not work. Can see why Reid has had a few clubs , think he is a difficult player to find a system and partners that work with him. Maybe we should use him as a winger. He has only ever hit double figures for a season once in his career . Apart from Norwood  you could describe our so called striking riches as being over rated . Probably a bit harsh also,but at the end of the day as Thommo said we need to find a playing identity.  And we need to add players to fit with that, and one of them is most certainly a midfielder along with a fit right back. And develop a system that suits the players , whoever gets the job will have to make some tough decisions . Can see a few leaving to be honest depending on who gets it .

11 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

No one realistically thinks Thompson should get the job do they? He's a caretaker. We definitely need a proper manager in. Plenty of positives to take from the last 2 weeks though 

yeah l do 10pts from 12 keep rolling be playin again in a couple of days go easy on the sunday roast, late start monday.

see what tues looks like. l reck it will look like we want it to.

Let’s be honest it was pants for most of that game. 

Sutton may go on to be a decent CB but for me he’s way out of his depth currently. Yes he’s out of position but he can’t even get most of the basics right. He’s painfully slow, can’t pass and has horrific positional sense. Massive weak link and should be nowhere near a potential promotion chasing side, the same with Shelton.

Norwood did well when he came on. Should be starting every game unless he’s shattered or injured. 

Hobson is a wonderful player, if he continues like this every week he’ll have L1 teams bidding for him next summer. 

The midfield will improve now Josh is back but that yesterday was a tough watch. SAS can’t start another game together. 

Don’t shoot the messenger but was told during the week by someone who is usually spot on with info that ST has made it known to Frank he wants a new RB and winger ASAP. I can’t imagine another CM isn’t on that list either especially after today.

Ward is struggling with injuries, Gardner is mint but made of biscuits so plays 1-2 then he’s out for a month, Lundstrams just come back so may be a month or 2 before we see really what he’s about, Shelton is atrocious, Sheron i’m not convinced by but willing to give him a proper look next to someone NOT named Shelton. That midfield pack isn’t good enough really.

It’s hard to complain after 10 points from 12 and there’s a good chance after 2 winnable home games this time next week we are sat in the play off places. However, for me personally we are still 2-3 quality players from finishing in the play off places.

5 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but was told during the week by someone who is usually spot on with info that ST has made it known to Frank he wants a new RB and winger ASAP. I can’t imagine another CM isn’t on that list either especially after today.

ST was head of recruitment so what responsibility does he have for this unbalanced squad?  Significant midfielder not mentioned here.

Not sure he should be given manager’s job just yet.

7 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

ST was head of recruitment so what responsibility does he have for this unbalanced squad?  Significant midfielder not mentioned here.

Not sure he should be given manager’s job just yet.

I feel like the initial signings where part of the collective that’s been mentioned on the podcast (Unsworth, ST, Darren Royle) etc as it seemed well thought out early summer. 

Then Unsworth tells us L1 and L2 standard players phone him everyday (or agents) wanting to come here because we’re close to Manchester (and probably because we now pay well) and the signings then while exciting, all go a bit random (Raglan and Norwood). 

I’m lead to believe Freeman was a 100% Unsworth only signing and was rushed because fans where going ape shit for a right back that week. ST (head of rec at the time) wanted Cropper or a lad at Stockport

I don’t really understand why Shelton isn’t given the same tolerance as others. DU was roundly criticised for wrecking various players but with Shelton it seems that doesn’t apply.

It looks like he’s spent the last year being played as a defensive midfielder that sits back whereas that might not actually be his game at all. 

10 hours ago, doctor evil said:

10 points from 12 is a good return, I don't think anybody is disputing that. Saying performances (at least the last 2) haven't been great is, at least to me, pretty reasonable. I was concerned with the setup today with Reid and Willoughby upfront and I don't think it worked. Those 2 will work hard for you but they need the ball either in behind or in to feet. Too often we ended up lumping balls up to them because we lack the composure to do anything other than that, especially on turnovers. I remember Reid getting played in behind twice, once because wealdstone gave it away in their own half and the other they actually played him in for us. I thought throughout the game we were a bit too rigid in attack, green hardly ever drifted infield which is where he's been most dangerous the last few games. It may have been due to us wanting to be more compact defensively and I think we probably didn't quite get the balance right today. Sutton had a poor game, was really targeted by their quick skillful players. The same problem we always have when Sheron and Shelton start together is that it puts a lot of responsibility for playmaking onto the shoulders of Dickenson, and they did well to get men on him quickly and it really hurt our attack. I thought on the balance of play we were maybe a shade fortunate to come away with a point but I'll take it nonetheless.

I would have snatched your hand off for 10 points from 4 games after unsy bit the bullet but these were 4 very winnable games and improvements will be needed.

😳😳😳😳

ok maybe we can take you seriously afterall!!!

Just now, nzlatic said:

I don’t really understand why Shelton isn’t given the same tolerance as others. DU was roundly criticised for wrecking various players but with Shelton it seems that doesn’t apply.

It looks like he’s spent the last year being played as a defensive midfielder that sits back whereas that might not actually be his game at all. 

can nothing but agree with this. its like some fans are just a lightning rod for anger and misery.

9 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

I have a premium account through my work so I cant link you to it but I can tell you anything you like stats wise 😀

Ok so I have a theory on both Sheron and Shelton and why their numbers would look quite good. Firstly I imagine that their pass completion is quite high as when they get the ball they usually play a safe pass so when it's played to their feet from the centre back it usually goes straight back to the centre back or a side ways pass to the full back. Neither of them are inventive passers of the ball they don't take the ball on the half turn and play balls through the lines that cut open the opposition and create chances.

Do the stats back that Theory up do they have a comparitively high pass completion rate?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ok so I have a theory on both Sheron and Shelton and why their numbers would look quite good. Firstly I imagine that their pass completion is quite high as when they get the ball they usually play a safe pass so when it's played to their feet from the centre back it usually goes straight back to the centre back or a side ways pass to the full back. Neither of them are inventive passers of the ball they don't take the ball on the half turn and play balls through the lines that cut open the opposition and create chances.

Do the stats back that Theory up do they have a comparitively high pass completion rate?

DU played them both as holding midfielders in a defensive looking team. Problem is I don’t think either of them are holding midfielders. Sheron has always been a defender and I think Shelton is a more attacking player. 2 players out of position in a key area of the pitch is a recipe for disaster. 

I don’t think DU knew what he wanted his central midfield to look like plus we’ve had a few injuries there. ST hasn’t been settled in that area either. It’s our biggest problem. Whoever gets the job next needs to decide how they want the central midfield to look and sort it out. That’s the key to sorting our whole season.