MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 30/09/23

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

DU played them both as holding midfielders in a defensive looking team. Problem is I don’t think either of them are holding midfielders. Sheron has always been a defender and I think Shelton is a more attacking player. 2 players out of position in a key area of the pitch is a recipe for disaster. 

I don’t think DU knew what he wanted his central midfield to look like plus we’ve had a few injuries there. ST hasn’t been settled in that area either. It’s our biggest problem. Whoever gets the job next needs to decide how they want the central midfield to look and sort it out. That’s the key to sorting our whole season. 

agreed. was the key to DU not getting a managers job ever again. for me the GK is the most important position but for everybody (surely) the midfield is the most important area of the pitch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

https://youtu.be/FPAbAOB14aI

Hmmm...did seem a lot of token jogging towards the opposition when they had the ball, rather than genuine pressing.

How is their disallowed goal off-side if Sutton touched it??

It’s still offside if he’s offside when their player passes it. PL had a very similar decision a few weeks ago. 

Bit random but how are these stats compiled for these various lower league stats websites? I assume it’s that sports vest/bra thing they all wear? how can that track pass completion, forward/back passes etc?

Legit question, never looked into how it all works. Can understand higher up the leagues where there’s a million eye balls and club staff members watching every aspect of every player but lower league I assume its compiled from the vests?

1 minute ago, aaronoafc said:

Bit random but how are these stats compiled for these various lower league stats websites? I assume it’s that sports vest/bra thing they all wear? how can that track pass completion, forward/back passes etc?

Legit question, never looked into how it all works. Can understand higher up the leagues where there’s a million eye balls and club staff members watching every aspect of every player but lower league I assume its compiled from the vests?

analysts sit in the stand and count them.

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

analysts sit in the stand and count them.

Don’t most clubs at this level have like 1 part time analyst if that? How can he track everything.

It probably is a combination of an analyst and the sports vest things I just find it amazing there’s so many stats available for players in the 5th division where sometimes a few hundred people go and watch lol 

Edited by aaronoafc

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/september/30092023-thompson-post-wealdstone-a/

1. l'm getting new midfielder, new winger vibes.

2. give him the job until june and free hit ourselves to the title. he's been everywhere and seen everything, but still got Gawbie in his accent. lve said you can see his thought and honesty in interviews and to see him pulling his earlobes proves it (sorry for the cheap psychology).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Don’t most clubs at this level have like 1 part time analyst if that? How can he track everything.

It probably is a combination of an analyst and the sports vest things I just find it amazing there’s so many stats available for players in the 5th division where sometimes a few hundred people go and watch lol 

we have got a few l think theres two or three in the stats dept? they will also be tuned to that type of stuff. hopefully theyre massively OCD and sit on the autism scale.

10 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

I have a premium account through my work so I cant link you to it but I can tell you anything you like stats wise 😀

Does it have up to date stats based on games for us this season? If so who do the stats suggest are our current best players?

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ok so I have a theory on both Sheron and Shelton and why their numbers would look quite good. Firstly I imagine that their pass completion is quite high as when they get the ball they usually play a safe pass so when it's played to their feet from the centre back it usually goes straight back to the centre back or a side ways pass to the full back. Neither of them are inventive passers of the ball they don't take the ball on the half turn and play balls through the lines that cut open the opposition and create chances.

Do the stats back that Theory up do they have a comparitively high pass completion rate?

I've got a theory that completed passes means bollock all.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

I imagine their is a technological aspect to this which calculates it automatically rather than say a bloke with a piece of paper counting passes.

43 minutes ago, JoeP said:

https://youtu.be/FPAbAOB14aI

Hmmm...did seem a lot of token jogging towards the opposition when they had the ball, rather than genuine pressing.

How is their disallowed goal off-side if Sutton touched it??

Offside if accidentally touched it, onside if deliberately played it.

Law 11.2

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Does this mean the head of recruitment isn't impressed with the recruitment already made...?

in one glaring area yeah, like allott of us have been mentally screaming for a year. winger needed bc we play with wingers but you cant do a season with just two.

Edited by Monty Burns
another sentence

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Does this mean the head of recruitment isn't impressed with the recruitment already made...?

I suspect it does and there’s nothing particularly wrong with that. All leagues are littered with players that looked good playing for another team then fail to impress after you acquire them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

To some extent - probably.

You may have more insight into what was going on behind the scenes but it looks a bit like Unsworth had his targets which weren't necessarily what ST was bringing in.

51 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I’m not sure the recruitment was fully completed before DU went . Think we were still short of a full back and defender 

44 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ok so I have a theory on both Sheron and Shelton and why their numbers would look quite good. Firstly I imagine that their pass completion is quite high as when they get the ball they usually play a safe pass so when it's played to their feet from the centre back it usually goes straight back to the centre back or a side ways pass to the full back. Neither of them are inventive passers of the ball they don't take the ball on the half turn and play balls through the lines that cut open the opposition and create chances.

Do the stats back that Theory up do they have a comparitively high pass completion rate?

So ive compared 3 other midfielders with similar minutes this season alongside Sheron and Shelton for comparison. Reagan Booty at Gateshead, as we were interested in him over the summer and they are a pass heavy team, Joe Leesley at Kidderminster, as they are a long ball team and Dan Gardner. Ive compiled the pass per 90 and extrapolated the forward passes and shown their accuracy but the problem with forward pass is that it can be sideways but like a yard in front so in an attempt to build an overall picture of their creativity I’ve added passes to final 3rd, through balls, progressive passes per 90 and total expected assists.

Accurate passes %|

Pass per 90|

Forward passes per 90|

Accurate forward pass %|

Passes to final third per 90|

Through balls per 90|

Progressive pass per 90 (Acc %)|

xA|

Gardner

8.09 (82.61%)

0.61 (1 assist)

Sheron

80.21%

6.24 (66.67%)

Shelton

84.38%

5.23 (72%)

Maguire

75.9%

9.76 (85.22%)

Booty

15.19 (82.16%)

0.66 (2 assists)

8 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

So ive compared 3 other midfielders with similar minutes this season alongside Sheron and Shelton for comparison. Reagan Booty at Gateshead, as we were interested in him over the summer and they are a pass heavy team, Joe Leesley at Kidderminster, as they are a long ball team and Dan Gardner. Ive compiled the pass per 90 and extrapolated the forward passes and shown their accuracy but the problem with forward pass is that it can be sideways but like a yard in front so in an attempt to build an overall picture of their creativity I’ve added passes to final 3rd, through balls, progressive passes per 90 and total expected assists.

Accurate passes %|

Pass per 90|

Forward passes per 90|

Accurate forward pass %|

Passes to final third per 90|

Through balls per 90|

Progressive pass per 90 (Acc %)|

xA|

Gardner

8.09 (82.61%)

0.61 (1 assist)

Sheron

80.21%

6.24 (66.67%)

Shelton

84.38%

5.23 (72%)

Maguire

75.9%

9.76 (85.22%)

Booty

15.19 (82.16%)

0.66 (2 assists)

So basically we should have signed Booty who we where linked with 😂😂

I do realise his stats for most things will probably be higher this season given how Gateshead play

Edited by aaronoafc