1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

The sobering thought for me is that as bad as we were, I cannot remember a game where we have been anywhere near as good and as dominant as Fylde were on Tuesday night!

They didn’t just beat us they absolutely murdered us and were so much better than us all over the pitch!

If we really have what has been described as a very decent squad I really don’t know how that could possibly happen.

Yep, not only that, but after about 20 mins they took their foot off the gas, and setup a bit more defensively awaiting our response, which never came. After that (and the sending off), it was a breeze for them.

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

The sobering thought for me is that as bad as we were, I cannot remember a game where we have been anywhere near as good and as dominant as Fylde were on Tuesday night!

They didn’t just beat us they absolutely murdered us and were so much better than us all over the pitch!

If we really have what has been described as a very decent squad I really don’t know how that could possibly happen.

We let them, got there possibly thinking we just needed to turn up, they were fired up as everyone is against us. I bet Fylde dont play the same on Saturday . We really need to learn how to absorb the cup final mentality many teams use against us and overcome them . 

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

We let them, got there possibly thinking we just needed to turn up, they were fired up as everyone is against us. I bet Fylde dont play the same on Saturday . We really need to learn how to absorb the cup final mentality many teams use against us and overcome them . 

If only it was that simple!

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Yep, not only that, but after about 20 mins they took their foot off the gas, and setup a bit more defensively awaiting our response, which never came. After that (and the sending off), it was a breeze for them.

Yes they really could have been more ruthless, Chris Beech post match alludes to that and we simply didn't have the answer.

Without wanting to try and apportion too much blame on Mellon and Brabin I'm also not sure they prepared the team well enough or set up in a way that we could exploit Fylde, it was almost lazy to presume we could just turn up, tweak the team and roll them over like we did at Dale. Persisting with the same ineffective strategy and tactics would also suggest we didn't really have a plan particularly if we went behind and I'm sure going forward this will be addressed,  it was as shit as I've seen on Tuesday but it at least gives us time to refocus and I think Mellon will now know it's going to be a tougher gig than anticipated. 

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Or we can get Alfie Atherton back from his sensational week at Burscough and start our climb up the division...

Comment when you've seen him perhaps? 

Although you did see James Berry in the North West Counties league and said that was his level - so I'll take your posts with a pinch of salt.😁

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

True, but it’s a priority for me. Bottom of the league, barely won a game and they looked good and Imposed on us all the way through . That’s surely about mindsets. 

And it's surely about the quirks of football as well.

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Thinking back to Tuesday I'd be gutted more than anything if I were Mellon that a group you are now managing disrespect you that much early on in your employment that they would effectively fail to turn up for work, after what he said early in his tenure I'd imagine that is as big a slap in the face you could give him and I doubt he will give some of them another chance if that happens again, any winning team never downs tools in that way and it showed real weakness all round, hopefully he's been able to iron out whatever the issue was Tuesday.

Thinking back to Tuesday, I can understand why Frank would rather row the Atlantic, even in December!!

18 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

dunno but l 100% us this board as therapy! have you noticed l can now leave an argument (and the board)

for 2-3 days 'coolings off' without an official ban?!!!!!!

l did get a richly deserved monitoring recently for openly wishing selective, communal death of a section of the fanbase!! took me a week to realise thats just unacceptable!!

there have been others come thru stuff on here too, l can pick them up thru their writing style changes. or them just open saying it, thats usually a good clue!!

again, thanks to you and everyone and also sorry to everybody for this. you have all (yes ALL even Magister) played a small part in keeping me alive. thanks 

It's worth saying that I find you one of the most interesting posters on here and I always look forward to what you have to say. I saw your post recently about your health and wish you all the best 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thing is .tonight and M.M wasn't luck.

He really is a good manager. Tonight showed his ability and I really think we are finally going to be successful. And he hasn't even signed anyone yet.

Makes me realise and confirms how bad D.U was, he wouldn't have entertained tonight's basketball 4:1 result!!

Congratulations to M.M and the team.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Thing is .tonight and M.M wasn't luck.

He really is a good manager. Tonight showed his ability and I really think we are finally going to be successful. And he hasn't even signed anyone yet.

Makes me realise and confirms how bad D.U was, he wouldn't have entertained tonight's basketball 4:1 result!!

Congratulations to M.M and the team.

*pops up with a totally out of context, ignorant reply about foodbanks*

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We are absolute certs for the playoffs under this guy. The aim has to be 2nd or 3rd.

I know we shouldn't look back, but I'm still so incredibly pissed off that we wasted so much of this season on Unsworth...

l'm embarrassed by it but l wear it like a badge and it just means we win more!!

top 3 is 8/1 but lve not looked at the league table yet bc its not December so l don't know how far we are away. we mustnt be top 7 yet if we still 11/8, l can work that out!!

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We are absolute certs for the playoffs under this guy. The aim has to be 2nd or 3rd.

I know we shouldn't look back, but I'm still so incredibly pissed off that we wasted so much of this season on Unsworth...

Still odds against for top 7 - 11/i8.  Stonking value

10 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

if posts had a smell this would be that cheese that comes in cloth and balsa wood, opened on the day you said it and left in an airtight room with the heating on!!

If I  could understand your posts I might agree. My post was about Mellons so can't understand how cheese comes into this? I suspect your just being provactive instead of following the title of the thread.with your comments.

10 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

if posts had a smell this would be that cheese that comes in cloth and balsa wood, opened on the day you said it and left in an airtight room with the heating on!!

I know and I can now see a top seven finish as a possibility. I'm still pinching myself at the score line last night. As good as Norwood was with his clinical finishing and his assists, I personally think Hope's goal was the most enjoyable.

1 minute ago, diggleblue said:

If I  could understand your posts I might agree. My post was about Mellons so can't understand how cheese comes into this? I suspect your just being provactive instead of following the title of the thread.with your comments.

I think Monty is alluding to my post being a stinker. :D 

On 11/23/2023 at 10:49 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm confident of the play-offs, but we are a bad injury away from putting a huge hole in that. We're going to be quite reliant on Norwood and Gardner and an injury to either / both has the potential to derail us. We have to bve mindful of that and that the recent form has been largely - but not exclusively - down to their performances.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm confident of the play-offs, but we are a bad injury away from putting a huge hole in that. We're going to be quite reliant on Norwood and Gardner and an injury to either / both has the potential to derail us. We have to bve mindful of that and that the recent form has been largely - but not exclusively - down to their performances.

Agreed. Which is why they (and others) should be rested for the tinpot trophy. Couldn't bear the thought of some non-league clogger breaking Norwood's shin! 

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Agreed. Which is why they (and others) should be rested for the tinpot trophy. Couldn't bear the thought of some non-league clogger breaking Norwood's shin! 

Unfortunately at this stage in Latics' turgid history we play non-league cloggers every week mate! :lol: 

• Like 3