Norwood

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

2 goals and 2 assists for Norwood tonight.

Personally, I don't think he wants it enough.

He’ll always (and quite rightly) be judged differently because of his pedigree, status in the squad, and wage. 

In his last two games (especially tonight) he’s been superb. And every inch the striker we thought we were getting. 

• Like 3

It was as plain as the nose on your face that Norwood was miles ahead of anything in the squad from day 1, I didn't need Saturday or last night to convince me. If he stays injury free he scores 25 goals this season minimum. I said when this bollocks all started a few weeks back that we should be building a team around him and was criticised for that opinion because of his age. Well, i stand by it, let him get us back in the EFL and we can worry about replacing him in 2 years time. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

He’ll always (and quite rightly) be judged differently because of his pedigree, status in the squad, and wage. 

In his last two games (especially tonight) he’s been superb. And every inch the striker we thought we were getting. 

2 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

He's now playing. further up the pitch, as is getting service from a better balanced midfield, and in final 3rd is devastating.

Agree - it has taken a while, but Norwood is now playing to his full capability. 
👍

38 minutes ago, PeteG said:

It was as plain as the nose on your face that Norwood was miles ahead of anything in the squad from day 1, I didn't need Saturday or last night to convince me. If he stays injury free he scores 25 goals this season minimum. I said when this bollocks all started a few weeks back that we should be building a team around him and was criticised for that opinion because of his age. Well, i stand by it, let him get us back in the EFL and we can worry about replacing him in 2 years time. 

Fair enough. 

In my opinion he's been outstanding in the last couple of games, but hasn't looked anything like the player he had a reputation for being before that.

It's great that he's looking like the striker we're paying for now.  Long may in continue, but I don't think there's a "told you so" angle to it..

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Have you ever thought it’s exactly because he came so highly rated that people have questioned certain aspects of his game??

No player especially your highest earner is above critique. 

Mellon said in his post presser

I asked him to keep working and not get disappointed when things don’t come off, and tonight he did that.  

One man’s ‘professional standards’ are another man’s poor attitude. 

Last night it was noticeable that the arms didn’t go in the air once, and he was miles better player for it- having a hand in all four goals. .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Have you ever thought it’s exactly because he came so highly rated that people have questioned certain aspects of his game??

No player especially your highest earner is above critique. 

Mellon said in his post presser

I asked him to keep working and not get disappointed when things don’t come off, and tonight he did that.  

One man’s ‘professional standards’ are another man’s poor attitude. 

Last night it was noticeable that the arms didn’t go in the air once, and he was miles better player for it- having a hand in all four goals. .

I didn't say he was above critique. However, when people were having a pop at him he was still one of our best performers in my opinion. Expectations were high, rightly so but some of the things being levelled at him were out of order. We had all sorts of accusations going on mostly regarding his body language. We've got one of the best players in the league that could easily slot into a side 2 divisions higher, so let's just enjoy the fact he's wearing a blue shirt and get behind him. If he's firing on all cylinders we definitely won't be far away come May.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I didn't say he was above critique. However, when people were having a pop at him he was still one of our best performers in my opinion. Expectations were high, rightly so but some of the things being levelled at him were out of order. We had all sorts of accusations going on mostly regarding his body language. We've got one of the best players in the league that could easily slot into a side 2 divisions higher, so let's just enjoy the fact he's wearing a blue shirt and get behind him. If he's firing on all cylinders we definitely won't be far away come May.

Let's just say that Norwood has fallen on his feet with the appointment of Mellon

Now you'll see what he really has to offer and we most certainly did last night

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

We had all sorts of accusations going on mostly regarding his body language

The manager has indicated he does get frustrated and has asked him not to . . frustration affects body language. So people had every right to question it, and the affect it can have on teammates. 

Last night he didn’t do it, and in my view it massively helped his own game and the others around him. He just let his football do the talking. Superb stuff. 

• Like 2

not been in here couldnt handle the abdolute drivell that was being spouted.

l'll say again l am honoured to have him here. him and Raglan are absolute standouts first and second on the team sheet every week for me. l'll not say that anymore bc even Ant from PJ and Duncan can see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree - it has taken a while, but Norwood is now playing to his full capability. 
👍

He's now got he had at Tranmere a centre forward who can give defenders a hard time while he does what he does best, putting the ball in the net.

How is it DU never saw this?

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

The manager has indicated he does get frustrated and has asked him not to . . frustration affects body language. So people had every right to question it, and the affect it can have on teammates. 

Last night he didn’t do it, and in my view it massively helped his own game and the others around him. He just let his football do the talking. Superb stuff. 

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He's now got he had at Tranmere a centre forward who can give defenders a hard time while he does what he does best, putting the ball in the net.

How is it DU never saw this?

he doesn't feel the need to play RB, CDM, CAM and CF all at the same time which helps.

even tho he still does, just not to his own detriment. that was the blindness being shown, which was unusual for us bc we like 'people that run about'

Must admit I’ve never been all that convinced about the need to worry about a player’s body language, though I suppose it might possibly affect his team mates and can clearly alienate some fans.

I always thought Steve Archibald never looked very happy when he was playing. He wasn’t a prolific striker, but his record at Spurs and Barcelona wasn’t too bad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Must admit I’ve never been all that convinced about the need to worry about a player’s body language, though I suppose it might possibly affect his team mates and can clearly alienate some fans.

I always thought Steve Archibald never looked very happy when he was playing. He wasn’t a prolific striker, but his record at Spurs and Barcelona wasn’t too bad.

l actually like it. his bollocks are too big for division five and dont forget he lead our biggest overspill of emotions in years on live TV and got in trouble for it so he's just tryna keep our lids on!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

He        made           a        lot      of       space         for          himself

makes it look easy and the way he saves up his pace and gets it out a few times is rather exciting to see. l just assumed that would be gone now and we would see him finding pockets for himself. so for that to still be in the locker makes him playing for us borderline silly.

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

However, when people were having a pop at him he was still one of our best performers in my opinion. Expectations were high, rightly so but some of the things being levelled at him were out of order. We had all sorts of accusations going on mostly regarding his body language.

I’m not sure that many doubted his talent - but it’s also fair to say that the Norwood we have seen in the last two games is the Norwood we expected to see from the off.

Most would agree that It has taken him a while to settle in.

There are two major factors in his recent form - playing under Micky Mellon and playing alongside Mikey Fondop.

And like it or not, his body language did show that he was frustrated. Contrast that to last night and his MotM interview - he is finally enjoying his football at Latics and long may it continue.😃