MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

12 hours ago, daniel said:

Anyone think he may revert to 433? He may think it a perfect opportunity to change with Hogan banned, and with the new signings we may now be equipped to do so. I think that may be his preferred formation long term. Or do we think he’ll stick to whats been working recently?

A 433 option could be:
Hudson

Sadchev

Raglan

Hobson

Kitching

Sheron

Conlon

Lundstram

Walker

Dallas

Norwood

Fair point as I imagine Woking will be expecting us to play 532. 

Hoping to get down to BP today....seems ages since I've been home for a match.

The recruitment under DU truly was shocking and cost the Rothwell's plenty given we've require another round of signings to compete. No surprise the big money boy's are staying put, unfortunately that's their right.

COYB's

50 minutes ago, Lags said:

Hoping to get down to BP today....seems ages since I've been home for a match.

The recruitment under DU truly was shocking and cost the Rothwell's plenty given we've require another round of signings to compete. No surprise the big money boy's are staying put, unfortunately that's their right.

COYB's

6 of the current first team were recruited under Unsworth and Thompson and I don’t think you’d get many arguing they shouldn’t be in the team (Hudson, Kitching, Hobson, Raglan, Lundstram and Norwood). Of the main first team signings (ie longer than 1 year contract) there’s only really Nuttall and Shelton that I would say haven’t worked at all. I really think this past recruitment thing is overblown.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

6 of the current first team were recruited under Unsworth and Thompson and I don’t think you’d get many arguing they shouldn’t be in the team (Hudson, Kitching, Hobson, Raglan, Lundstram and Norwood). Of the main first team signings (ie longer than 1 year contract) there’s only really Nuttall and Shelton that I would say haven’t worked at all. I really think this past recruitment thing is overblown.

All about opinions...but the vast majority of performances under DU were shockingly poor.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That is a completely different statement. 

Not really. They both tie together.  If you think 6 players out of the entire recruitment constitutes good business then that's your opinion, it's certainly not mine.

Hudson wasn't even first choice, he was back up, so now it's 5 first teamers. Plus Hobson and Raglan hardly featured!!

Edited by Lags

1 hour ago, Lags said:

COYB's

Just a reminder of the strength depth of our first team squad: 

1. Magnus Norman (2025)

13. Matt Hudson (2025)

2. Sai Sachdev - on loan from Sheff U till end of season

3. Mark Kitching (2025)

4. Liam Hogan (2024)

5. Shaun Hobson (2025)

16. Charlie Raglan (2025)
17. Harrison McGahey (2024?)
21. Will Sutton (2025)

6. Mark Shelton (2025)

8. Josh Lundstram (2025)

11. Dan Ward (2025)
14. Nathan Sheron (2025)
15. Devarn Green (2024, with option for 1 more year)
18. Ben Tollitt (2024) - on loan at Kiddy till January?

19. Dan Gardner (2024)

22. Brennan Dickenson (2024)

26. Oliver Hammond (2025)

28. Ethan Walker - on loan from Blackburn till end of season

32. Tom Conlon (2026)

7. Kurt Willoughby (2025)

9. Mike Fondop (2024)

10. Joe Nuttall (2025)

20. Hallum Hope (2024?)
25. Alex Reid (2025)

29. Andrew Dallas - on loan from Barnsley till end of season

30. James Norwood (2025, with option for 1 more year)

Thanks to @oafcmetty 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lags said:

Not really. They both tie together.  If you think 6 players out of the entire recruitment constitutes good business then that's your opinion, it's certainly not mine.

Hudson wasn't even first choice, he was back up, so now it's 5 first teamers.

Urgh if I say that something isn’t “truly shocking” it doesn’t mean I’m praising it or that it’s without criticism (eg no right back and lacking creativity). I’m just saying I don’t think it’s truly shocking. Reason being is we have 6 of the first team who not many would question any of their places. Plus some handy back up players who most would be happy to have in the squad. Obvious errors were made of course, but they also signed some real quality.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I get what you’re saying but It just illustrates that recruitment wasn’t the only thing he’s not good at…..but What about Willoughby, Ward, Tollit* Green* Freeman, & Dickenson ?😆

* extended by ‘Unsworth’ for +yr

2 year contracts for Nuttall for who we paid a fee reported to be around £100k, Shelton, & Willoughby will have cost the club about £600k over the two years for absolutely zero return!!😳😳😳

Considering he chased Willoughby & Nuttall for a considerable amount of time shows that this  ‘past recruitment thing’ is absolutely not overblown….for a National League club that’s a colossal amount of money to have chucked down the drain!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I get what you’re saying but It just illustrates that recruitment wasn’t the only thing he’s not good at…..but What about Willoughby, Ward, Tollit* Green* Freeman, & Dickenson ?😆

2 year contracts for Nuttall for who we paid a fee reported to be around £100k, Shelton, & Willoughby will have cost the club about £600k over the two years for absolutely zero return!!😳😳😳

Considering he chased Willoughby & Nuttall for a considerable amount of time shows that this  ‘past recruitment thing’ is absolutely not overblown….for a National League club that’s a colossal amount of money to have chucked down the drain!

There’s so much guesswork and assumption there. And no club gets 100% of its signings right.

At the time, how many thought Shelton was a disastrous signing? It hasn’t worked out, but that doesn’t mean at the time the signing was wrong given his record in this league and how he was thought of by Hartlepool fans. It’s only with hindsight you know things like that for sure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well, I think that team and bench selection suggests Mellon doesn't think as highly of Sutton as some.

Or maybe he doesn't want to try and fix what ain't broke?, McGahey straight in for Hogan makes sense and Hope is probably in the 16 as he provides more options.

Personally a loan out a division below wouldn't harm Will to get some minutes under his belt in the centre of defence in the same way Edmondson benefitted from that.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

And then there was the John Rooney fiasco. 

40 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well, I think that team and bench selection suggests Mellon doesn't think as highly of Sutton as some.

I don't think he's good enough to start, and the 5 subs limits who you can stick on the bench. You're going to want players that can impact a game offensively on there. You can always drop to a back 4 if there's an injury. Though it must be said I'd rather have a defender than Norman on the bench.

Just watched 17 minutes of Augsburg v Bayern.

VAR has interrupted the game for 10 mins.

So glad that we do not have it in the NL.

Having said that, the officiating in th BL is as bad as the NL.

Ref gave a pen for a handball 2 yards outside of the pen area.