MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Had chances, didn’t take them. Struggling team complete a smash and grab. A tale as old as time and not an Oldham exclusive. 

Thought we looked better football wise when Fondop went off as players didn’t just look to hit it long. 

As Mellon says even after a good win “there’s still work to do”.

Other results very favourable. 

That was definitely not a 'smash-and-grab.' Once again, it's another lower-ranked side outclassing us in every department. They were first to every ball, moved it more effectively, and showed a greater desire for the result - they thoroughly deserved the win.

There is a noticeable mental problem within the team that, for one reason or another, just can't get going when a supposed underdog rocks up at our ground.

34 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Fully deserved win for Woking,  an absolute shambles at home. Not one positive to take out of that shit show. Not one of those players get above a 3/10. 

MM handed the initiative at home yet again with a back 5.

When will he ever learn?

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

That was atrocious. We've brought Conlon in precisely to break down teams like this, and the ball flew over his head all game. Absolutely no imagination, just get the ball, look up, and hoof it to the wing. Rinse and repeat. 

Woking haven't done a smash and grab. They were just better than us.

So fucking frustrating 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

oh fuck off

😆 I'll put that down to the understandable frustration of getting beat 0-1 at home to Woking.

On a more serious note I think this highlights where we are at the moment a team that will win more than it loses and should get 75-80 points but is unfortunately capable of throwing in the odd typical Latics moment like today. We will get in the play offs it could go either way we could very well still get promotion the teams around us are equally fallable as today's results show.

But if we don't go up this season then it won't be much of a jump to improve it for the season after and make the extra steps to promotion.

Today was frustrating but the roof hasn't fallen in on our promotion hopes yet.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

😆 I'll put that down to the understandable frustration of getting beat 0-1 at home to Woking.

On a more serious note I think this highlights where we are at the moment a team that will win more than it loses and should get 75-80 points but is unfortunately capable of throwing in the odd typical Latics moment like today. We will get in the play offs it could go either way we cpuld ver well still get promotion the teams around us are equally fallable as today's results show

But if we don't go up this season then it won't be much of a jump to improve it for the season after and make the extra steps to promotion.

👍 still think we'll comfortably make the playoffs but days are like this so irritating, after Tuesday we're looking up at the top 3 then brought back down to earth with a big bump. Probably naivety on our part, it is still Oldham Athletic after all...

• Like 1

Thought Hobson and Raglan played well in spells but the rest were a crock of shit.

What exactly was the plan because played more football in a hurricane on Tuesday than we did today, that cross field ball from defence to their number 4 failed from the first minute but we persisted in serving it up to the big fat pudding, weird.

New lads all struggled today and we couldn't carry them all but we were off the pace from minute one, dare I say it we missed Hogan's leadership and battling qualities. 

Lundstrum is enigma does absolutely fuck all, same for Sheron. I reckon you could count the forward passes they made today between them on one hand. Piss piss poor with the ball at their feet the pair of them.

What was wrong with Kitching today? Looked shit scared of the football, same goes for Sachdev who needs to step up markedly, not sure I've seen him go on the outside yet and even attempt to beat a man.

Walker added a bit of graft and that's about it, sick to fucking death of going to BP now and seeing us camp in with a back five or seven, has anyone got any fucking balls to serve it up to these fucking tinpot who are taking the piss out of them?. Could of been worse that if they had a striker.

Also what was Kitching doing leaning back on them shots in the first half, technique of a fucking 8 year old in front of goal.

No doubt we'll get all the 'lots of work to do' spiel post match. They probably need to get a psychologist in for some of them they are that weak.

As for McGahey if he's in that team again I'm staying in the pub, he's a donkey and should of been subbed after 20 minutes.

• Like 1

That was terrible. 

Midfield non-existent. Did we definitely sign the Josh Lundstram who did so well at Alty? 

Dodgy keeper, yet didn't trouble him once. 

Hobson the only one who turned up. 

A bad day at the office..

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What annoys me, is the type of performance. If we still created and were just unlucky I wouldn’t have any issue. But we looked half a yard off of it all game and had no tempo to our play. Really lacklustre.   

I didn’t go but was there by any chance resting on laurels after our magnificent victory on Tuesday ? I saw this result coming down the road  a mile off, why on earth didn’t we prepare for a team fighting for their league lives. Not sure either why Dallas came on so late? We’ve only got him til end of the season so he needs to be used. 

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

On a more serious note I think this highlights where we are at the moment a team that will win more than it loses and should get 75-80 points but is unfortunately capable of throwing in the odd typical Latics moment like today. We will get in the play offs it could go either way we could very well still get promotion the teams around us are equally fallable as today's results show.

Exactly this. I just think too many are searching for proof we won’t go up. Self preservation so hopes aren’t dashed like they have been over the last 3 decades?

We will finish in the top 7 so will have a shot at it. Plenty of time left to improve more in the areas we need to. And we have the manager and plenty of players in the squad who’ve done it before. Most other fans have experienced lots of promotion seasons so will know that it’s never perfect and bad games do happen. 

Too many poor performances today but if you add Conlon to the team that finished the game then I think that could be quite an exciting forward line. And even with that lower level of performance we still created chances. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Thought Hobson and Raglan played well in spells but the rest were a crock of shit.

What exactly was the plan because played more football in a hurricane on Tuesday than we did today, that cross field ball from defence to their number 4 failed from the first minute but we persisted in serving it up to the big fat pudding, weird.

New lads all struggled today and we couldn't carry them all but we were off the pace from minute one, dare I say it we missed Hogan's leadership and battling qualities. 

Lundstrum is enigma does absolutely fuck all, same for Sheron. I reckon you could count the forward passes they made today between them on one hand. Piss piss poor with the ball at their feet the pair of them.

What was wrong with Kitching today? Looked shit scared of the football, same goes for Sachdev who needs to step up markedly, not sure I've seen him go on the outside yet and even attempt to beat a man.

Walker added a bit of graft and that's about it, sick to fucking death of going to BP now and seeing us camp in with a back five or seven, has anyone got any fucking balls to serve it up to these fucking tinpot who are taking the piss out of them?. Could of been worse that if they had a striker.

Also what was Kitching doing leaning back on them shots in the first half, technique of a fucking 8 year old in front of goal.

No doubt we'll get all the 'lots of work to do' spiel post match. They probably need to get a psychologist in for some of them they are that weak.

As for McGahey if he's in that team again I'm staying in the pub, he's a donkey and should havebeen subbed after 20 minutes.

Other than that, did you enjoy the game? 

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

I didn’t go but was there by any chance resting on laurels after our magnificent victory on Tuesday ? I saw this result coming down the road  a mile off, why on earth didn’t we prepare for a team fighting for their league lives. Not sure either why Dallas came on so late? We’ve only got him til end of the season so he needs to be used. 

It was the same against Ebbsfleet. We huff and puff, but just look devoid of ideas or have any zip about us. 

It’s really frustrating, but Mellon hasn’t had two poor performances in a row so I’m sure we’ll bounce back. 

39 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Another team coming to BP and playing out their skins. When are we going to figure out how to fucking deal with it?

Because we sit back early on, and that's down to MM, he thinks every home game should be set up like away with his  back 5.

35 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Disgraceful performance by a team that is simply not good enough to be promoted, which is embarrassing considering the amount of money that has now been spent.

39 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

oh fuck off

You two pulling your todgers off in excitement with that result today, fingers burning in anticipation 

Honestly what have they been working on since Tuesday because they looked like a team of fucking strangers, most of them trying to control a ball with their fucking shins, most of them can't win a header or pick up a second ball and the lack of pace and urgency is frightening. 

That today was as Unsworth as you  can get, absolute dog shit. Like Hendon and Ebbsfleet and Fylde all rolled in to one.

Edited by yarddog73