Micky Mellon Sack Watch

20 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that you and many others are missing the point of the growing frustration.

We don’t expect Melon to ‘revolutionise a club and its identity in a matter of months’

We don’t compare ‘fifth division football and what is possible to elite level football’

All we are asking for is a team that can do the basics at this level  - you know stuff like ‘trap a ball’, ‘pass to a team mate’, play with energy, be first to second balls, not panic and boot the ball away at every opportunity, maybe play through the midfield and have more than three attempts on target in 90 minutes at home against a team in the bottom four. 

Ordinary stuff like that.

With respect, I think you are missing the point as I am responding in general to points raised that ago beyond what you have listed there. I agree with all of that and made a comment a few weeks saying that our current system, especially at home, needs work, but you will see I've responded to BP1960 who, along with lots of others, keep demanding a specific brand of football - attacking and passing it on the deck, as though that immediately translates to positive and consistent results. As I say, the absence of the basics you have listed needs attention, no doubt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Let's say we'd brought someone in that immediately tried to transform this lot into a progressive, passing team midway through the season.

How long do we reckon it would have been before the main stand were yelling at them to "stop that tippy tappy rubbish" and "gerrit forward"... and for posters on here to call for us to play 4-4-2 and "hit the big man".

Mellon's improved our form considerably, to the extent that we're near the top of the form table, and should be on course to make the playoffs. To slag him off for not having us play like Barcelona whilst doing it feels a little bit unfair to me. 

We’ve had it in the past. People furious that we won the passing but not the game. 

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that you and many others are missing the point of the growing frustration.

We don’t expect Melon to ‘revolutionise a club and its identity in a matter of months’

We don’t compare ‘fifth division football and what is possible to elite level football’

All we are asking for is a team that can do the basics at this level  - you know stuff like ‘trap a ball’, ‘pass to a team mate’, play with energy, be first to second balls, not panic and boot the ball away at every opportunity, maybe play through the midfield and have more than three attempts on target in 90 minutes at home against a team in the bottom four. 

Ordinary stuff like that.

I agree with most of this Big Dog

The truth is that this group of players were unable to compete yesterday with a team which was strong and quick and took advantage of a weak referee who allowed pushing, pulling and holding all over the pitch. Players of “better” quality still have to earn the right to play.  They have to be mentally strong enough to be first to the loose ball, to win more then 50% of the 50:50 balls they complete. To find a way to win headers despite physical attentions from a defender.  Once you are winning possession, you can pass and play football.

Yesterday there were not enough with the mental strength to be physical enough and aggressive enough to best their opponent.  Most either lost the ball under that pressure or just hoofed it aimlessly before they did loose it. Motivation wise you have to wonder why the big crowd of fans, and the expectation of the owners family was not enough to make them want and need to compete. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Let's say we'd brought someone in that immediately tried to transform this lot into a progressive, passing team midway through the season.

How long do we reckon it would have been before the main stand were yelling at them to "stop that tippy tappy rubbish" and "gerrit forward"... and for posters on here to call for us to play 4-4-2 and "hit the big man".

Mellon's improved our form considerably, to the extent that we're near the top of the form table, and should be on course to make the playoffs. To slag him off for not having us play like Barcelona whilst doing it feels a little bit unfair to me. 

We were told by Stockport, Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield etc fans that it wouldn't be pretty, that it's a scrappy horrible division and took them all years to get out of it. There's almost an arrogance to it, that just being in the playoffs isn't enough, we should be doing it in style

Frankly I couldn't care if every win we get comes from Nathan Sheron farting it in if it means we go up

These are 5th division footballers, sometimes they're going to be inconsistent/shit. But as a whole the team is pretty consistent at the moment, results wise anyway 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Thoughts and prayers for the form table lads when that inevitably starts going south...

I don’t think you understand what a form table is.

If a manager has been brought in to get promotion and we’re near the top of the form table then that means he’s delivering. If he’s not then it means he isn’t and will come in for criticism from the “form table lads” as well. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

😄😄 thoughts and prayers for the absolute toddlers on here when we make the playoffs and they can't have a tantrum

Wah wah why we can't play like we did 40 years ago wah wah

It is daft comparing today with Joe Royle and that era. Completely different set of variables. 

And you're right, if we make the play-offs - or even win on Tuesday - we'll all be back aboard the promotion bus, no doubt. 

We're allowed to moan about yesterday, though. Another insipid home performance against another struggling team, but this time in front of a full-house where the mood was supposed to be celebratory after Frank's achievement. 

Just now, JoeP said:

It is daft comparing today with Joe Royle and that era. Completely different set of variables. 

And you're right, if we make the play-offs - or even win on Tuesday - we'll all be back aboard the promotion bus, no doubt. 

We're allowed to moan about yesterday, though. Another insipid home performance against another struggling team, but this time in front of a full-house where the mood was supposed to be celebratory after Frank's achievement. 

I've absolutely no issue with people complaining about yesterday's performance, I think insipid is putting it lightly. More the people like the poster I was responding to who seem to relish the prospect of Mellon failing...

The occasion and expectation yesterday was far too much for the players, given the home form is not the best. We got the footballing equivalent of erectile dysfunction. It's not going to change anytime soon and if Latics make the playoffs, it will be a huge bonus considering how the season began.

• Like 3

I find it absolutely baffling how people keep isolating Mellon to the home form. (Which isn’t good) 

However he has us on our best away run in years (I think it’s currently 8 unbeaten). 

If we go the rest the season and end up in the playoffs on away form- does anyone actually care??? And if you do, just think about that. 

What you are saying is. 

Yeah, yeah, he’s taken us into playoffs after a dreadful start, and we’ve finished the season with one of if not the best away records. But forget that-  it’s SHIT at home. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The lack of balance in acknowledging his overall record (IE home AND away) is very strange. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I find it absolutely baffling how people keep isolating Mellon to the home form. (Which isn’t good) 

However he has us on our best away run in years (I think it’s currently 8 unbeaten). 

If we go the rest the season and end up in the playoffs on away form- does anyone actually care??? And if you do, just think about that. 

What you are saying is. 

Yeah, yeah, he’s taken us into playoffs after a dreadful start, and we’ve finished the season with one of if not the best away records. But forget that-  it’s SHIT at home. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The lack of balance in acknowledging his overall record (IE home AND away) is very strange. 

You forgot over 6,000 fans actually pay to watch home games. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What you are saying is. 

What this thread shows is that we are all well are truly scarred by yesterday. It will haunt me for a while - that’s no over statement.

We all know form under Mellon has been pretty good and the rational part of one’s brain sees the bigger picture.  But my word I have never felt as low as that leaving BP. The utter incompetence on show left me gobsmacked.

• Like 4

Just now, BP1960 said:

You forgot over 6,000 fans actually pay to watch home games. 

And? 😂😂

Do you not support us away from home? Do away games not count? 

His away record is fantastic, it’s as simple as that. It’s why we are in playoffs, and while I want home form to pick up. If it doesn’t and we still win away to finish on the playoffs- I couldn’t really care less. 

E I E I E O. 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

What this thread shows is that we are all well are truly scarred by yesterday. It will haunt me for a while - that’s no over statement.

We all know form under Mellon has been pretty good and the rational part of one’s brain sees the bigger picture.  But my word I have never felt as low as that leaving BP. The utter incompetence on show left me gobsmacked.

It was a horror show Andy- no question. It’s up-to Mellon to sort it. 

But I’ll keep saying it- the exact same players generally play a lot better away that they don’t at home. Which should bring you and everyone else some solace. 

I think it’s been apparent for some time, that we are far more suited to away games with how we set up- so if we keep winning, who cares about the home form? The most important thing is promotion,  not home form or which ground you collect the points at. 

It was a horror show Andy- no question. It’s up-to Mellon to sort it. 

But I’ll keep saying it- the exact same players generally play a lot better away that they don’t at home. Which should bring you and everyone else some solace. 

I think it’s been apparent for some time, that we are far more suited to away games with how we set up- so if we keep winning, who cares about the home form? The most important thing is promotion,  not home form or which ground you collect the points at. 

Oh I agree. But most only see the beatings and it’s hard to take. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

And? 😂😂

Do you not support us away from home? Do away games not count? 

His away record is fantastic, it’s as simple as that. It’s why we are in playoffs, and while I want home form to pick up. If it doesn’t and we still win away to finish on the playoffs- I couldn’t really care less. 

E I E I E O. 😁

Your not going to get 6000 fans paying to watch Latics away, though, so I guess the point BP makes is that the majority of the support base only see the team perform at home and what they are witnessing is not very palatable.

The old adage of "Win at home, draw away gets promotion" has been turned on its head for us. Mind you, if the away form dips as well, then hope of reaching the playoffs will become a distant memory. Mellon has got his wok cut out come the close season, promotion or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

..so if we keep winning, who cares about the home form? The most important thing is promotion,  not home form or which ground you collect the points at. 

A team won't win promotion on away wins alone. The home form has to be sorted and points taken at BP as well, which at the moment, would only be improved if they played behind closed doors. Imagine if the pandemic was on now, we would be top of the league. :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

Oh I agree. But most only see the beatings and it’s hard to take. 

And you make a great point. 

The vast majority only watch us at home, and there’s this weird psyche where that becomes reflective of our form all the time. Even when fans see the away result, and it’s a win. If they return to the next home game and still shit, the away game doesn’t come into the thinking. 

Ive watched us 3 times away from home and each game we’ve played miles better than the games I watched at home. 

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

A team won't win promotion on away wins alone. The home form has to be sorted and points taken at BP as well, which at the moment, would only be improved if they played behind closed doors. Imagine if the pandemic was on now, we would be top of the league. :D 

Why won’t they? Our home form, dreadful as it is, is good enough to secure a play off spot 

And you make a great point. 

The vast majority only watch us at home, and there’s this weird psyche where that becomes reflective of our form all the time. Even when fans see the away result, and it’s a win. If they return to the next home game and still shit, the away game doesn’t come into the thinking. 

Ive watched us 3 times away from home and each game we’ve played miles better than the games I watched at home. 

It’s the manner of the home defeats though. You can excuse people for thinking we are fluking it away from home and that the whole thing is going to come crashing down 

15 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Your not going to get 6000 fans paying to watch Latics away, though, so I guess the point BP makes is that the majority of the support base only see the team perform at home and what they are witnessing is not very palatable.

Not aimed at you Wardie or any other individual, but I don’t care where our fans watch us or what they find palatable. I want us to win every game, there is no special onus on winning at home if it’s countered by cracking away form. 

• Like 1