Micky Mellon Sack Watch

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Why not? we have one of the biggest budgets in the league to sign the best young attacking players  available.

At the risk of repeating myself, he clearly wasn’t employed with a brief of signing young attacking players and playing free flowing attacking football. 

His brief is to deliver promotion in the way he sees fit, not the way you or anyone else would want him to do it. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

Im not, I was suggesting that it all wasn’t rosy under Joe.

The only comparison I made was that there were spells under Joe that were horrific. I remember in that horrible post season after Leeds play offs being batttered by Branford away in the FA Cup 5.1. That was as equally as shit as yesterdays performance.

Been to practically every match under Joe and I can't remember once the team being booed off at half and full time as on several occasions this season.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

We are talking about abysmal tactics which don't work at home and will continue to do so until MM sees the light.

It was addressed a few weeks ago by MM. He tried to change up the tactical approach against Boreham Wood and at half time concluded it wasnt working so reverted back to the approach we see that has yielded a PPG of 1.79 in the league. He doesnt believe he has the personel. 

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Been to practically every match under Joe and I can't remember once the team being booed off at half and full time as on several occasions this season.

Yes they did.

I remember at least 3 times under Joe.

1.5 against Sheff Utd

0.2 against Bradford

Leeds 6  Oldham 0.

The point is like now is that after some horrendous performances under Joe the board stood by him.

What’s different now, some of the older posters on here have selective memories. Why shouldn’t the board stands behind their man, just like Ian Stott did behind Joe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Yes they did.

1.5 against Sheff Utd

0.2 against Bradford

Leeds 6  Oldham 0.

The point is like now is that after some horrendous performances under Joe the board stood by him.

What’s different now, some of the older posters on here have selective memories. Why shouldn’t the board stands behind their man, just like Ian Stott did behind Joe.

It's absolutely inconceivable that in all the years under Joe we didn't throw in some absolute stinkers. It wasn't all about 89-91

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Does he get an easy ride? Do you want him under more pressure? Or shall we just let him deliver the job he's employed for?

You could have applied that to Unsworth and all those before him, if Mellon continues to churn out shit like that at home it will all end in tears somewhere down the line, I thought Shez and Dullsworth behaved like dinosaurs, it appears we've managed to dig another up.

Tell me what the plan is then, it's a question many asked of Unsworth and rightly so, this team is actually clueless, looks devoid of ideas and plays very little football, is that how they are being coached and what we are paying the big bucks for because I think it's piss poor. He's also brought in half dozen of his own signings as well now and they've barely made a difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

We are talking about abysmal tactics which don't work at home and will continue to do so until MM sees the light.

I'll take an average of over 2 points per game. If you call that abysmal then you'll never be happy.

18 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Yes they did.

1.5 against Sheff Utd

0.2 against Bradford

Leeds 6  Oldham 0.

So Mellon has had as many in a month then.

I'm not saying we shouldn't stand by him but comparing him to Royle is just bizarre, particularly as Royle wasn't operating on the best budget in the division, half the crowds without a pot to piss in.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You could have applied that to Unsworth and all those before him, if Mellon continues to churn out shit like that at home it will all end in tears somewhere down the line, I thought Shez and Dullsworth behaved like dinosaurs, it appears we've managed to dig another up.

Tell me what the plan is then, it's a question many asked of Unsworth and rightly so, this team is actually clueless, looks devoid of ideas and plays very little football, is that how they are being coached and what we are paying the big bucks for because I think it's piss poor. He's also brought in half dozen of his own signings as well now and they've barely made a difference.

Mellon has had 19 league games (1.79ppm). Unsworth had 47 (1.21ppm). He had plenty of time, it was clear it wasn't working. He's had no pre season. He's inherited most of the players. The players he has been able to bring in are mostly those under contract but not wanted/not fit. He's basically trying to polish a turd, and doing it reasonably successfully.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I'll take an average of over 2 points per game. If you call that abysmal then you'll never be happy.

What's abysmal is our home record, under Mellon we've played eleven, won three, drew three and lost five.

Sorry but that's absolute shite, we've kept one clean sheet at home letting in more than we've scored, For 17 Against 18. We've been comprehensively outplayed by two teams at least two rungs lower than us and not looked comfortable at home all season.

I'm not happy because expectations should be higher and our home form is a massive concern, to be racking up over two points a game away from home and playing so badly at home (about a point a game) is something Mellon is going to have to sort out.

11 from 9 at home and 23 from 10 away under Mellon. If we swapped our home results with our away results there would be nowhere near the level of bed wetting going on. Which seems a bit daft to me. 

• Like 1

What is totally frustrating is that the players show some fight away from home, so they can do it.

I wish they would just say what is going through their minds at home, the manager must be asking the players and they must be saying something. Surely whatever it is they answer they are working on it. There is no evidence of it so far.

The sheer fact we hardly ever have any sort of shots at their goal is so soul destroying. 

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

11 from 9 at home and 23 from 10 away under Mellon. If we swapped our home results with our away results there would be nowhere near the level of bed wetting going on. Which seems a bit daft to me. 

Good point, I suppose it's the masses who attend home games only that feel it's not good enough, and I do appreciate that not too many can afford or have the time to traipse all over the country. 

Just now, disjointed said:

Good point, I suppose it's the masses who attend home games only that feel it's not good enough, and I do appreciate that not too many can afford or have the time to traipse all over the country. 

I get it. I live down south so I’m exclusively away games in terms of what I see live. But I do pay for and watch a lot of home games online so it’s not like I’m totally immune to the home results!

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

So Mellon has had as many in a month then.

I'm not saying we shouldn't stand by him but comparing him to Royle is just bizarre, particularly as Royle wasn't operating on the best budget in the division, half the crowds without a pot to piss in.

I didn’t compare Mellon to Joe.

2 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

I didn’t compare Mellon to Joe.

I was just saying that Joe had some shockers just like Mickey has.

it’s not fair that the old timers on here try and preach that everything was rosy under Big Joe when it actually wasn’t…..

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

With our budget there is no reason we shouldn't be able to produce a good passing attacking team rather than a defensive hoofball one.

Gateshead played us off the park at BP with I imagine with a far smaller budget and now they are in the play offs.

That's how I want it anyway.

Then again I'm a 1990s JR team style dinosaur.

I work with a Gateshead supporter and he was telling me a few weeks ago how this style of theirs has been built up over many years. They have also had their fair share of problems, particularly in terms of the ownership and finances. The notion that we should expect Mellon to revolutionise a club and its identity in a matter of months, given it has been ran over 20 years or more by people who should be banned from being anywhere near football ownership, is incredibly unrealistic and those who think that  have set their expectations at such a level that they will be bitterly disappointed on a weekly basis.

While I appreciate the sentiment yesterday, I knew it would be thrown at the manager and players if they didn't get a result. If the performance was poor, fine, but to then use it in the manner I've seen - apologising to Rothwell, donating wages to charity etc  - is not helping at all.

It is going to take time, people need to stop comparing fifth division football and what is possible to elite level football, and a sense of perspective needs to be added. Is it frustrating watching us at times? Absolutely. But I'm clear in my mind as to what I expect from Mellon. It's one of those pragmatic relationships. I backed a three-year deal, he gets stability and we get a fella in charge who has a solid record, including promotions, at this level. The added extras in terms of style and approach can come when we're back in the FL and that will probably come after Mellon. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I get it. I live down south so I’m exclusively away games in terms of what I see live. But I do pay for and watch a lot of home games online so it’s not like I’m totally immune to the home results!

At least I can see you are totally mad now, I have a ST but can't be arsed to watch it when I'm not at the game. 

46 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

I was just saying that Joe had some shockers just like Mickey has.

it’s not fair that the old timers on here try and preach that everything was rosy under Big Joe when it actually wasn’t…..

I am an old timer and everything wasn't rosy under big Joe. I remember being in the Chaddy when some people in front of me were shouting for him to be sacked, giving him the v's when he looked over.

Although when the team did lose badly they tended to have had a few shots at their goal, made a forward pass, generally tried to get a goal back and looked as though it did bother them as they left the pitch... oh and followed it up with winning loads of games after it!!!

It's the total lack of entertainment that is getting at people. It's either a gritty win (which I will take all day long) or an abject disaster of a game. You more or less know how the game is going to go after we go 1-0 down. 

It's this inevitable lack of urgency to win happening over and over again that has drained everyone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Astro said:

The notion that we should expect Mellon to revolutionise a club and its identity in a matter of months, given it has been ran over 20 years or more by people who should be banned from being anywhere near football ownership, is incredibly unrealistic and those who think that  have set their expectations at such a level that they will be bitterly disappointed on a weekly basis...

…It is going to take time, people need to stop comparing fifth division football and what is possible to elite level football, and a sense of perspective needs to be added…

…The added extras in terms of style and approach can come when we're back in the FL and that will probably come after Mellon…

I think that you and many others are missing the point of the growing frustration.

We don’t expect Melon to ‘revolutionise a club and its identity in a matter of months’

We don’t compare ‘fifth division football and what is possible to elite level football’

All we are asking for is a team that can do the basics at this level  - you know stuff like ‘trap a ball’, ‘pass to a team mate’, play with energy, be first to second balls, not panic and boot the ball away at every opportunity, maybe play through the midfield and have more than three attempts on target in 90 minutes at home against a team in the bottom four. 

Ordinary stuff like that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that you and many others are missing the point of the growing frustration.

We don’t expect Melon to ‘revolutionise a club and its identity in a matter of months’

We don’t compare ‘fifth division football and what is possible to elite level football’

All we are asking for is a team that can do the basics at this level  - you know stuff like ‘trap a ball’, ‘pass to a team mate’, play with energy, be first to second balls, not panic and boot the ball away at every opportunity, maybe play through the midfield and have more than three attempts on target in 90 minutes at home against a team in the bottom four. 

Ordinary stuff like that.

Weird that a team that can't do the basics at this level would be 2nd in the form table...

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Mellon has had 19 league games (1.79ppm). Unsworth had 47 (1.21ppm). He had plenty of time, it was clear it wasn't working. He's had no pre season. He's inherited most of the players. The players he has been able to bring in are mostly those under contract but not wanted/not fit. He's basically trying to polish a turd, and doing it reasonably successfully.

Mellon created these awful tactics, its down to him to change them. Gives me the impression he won't though.

If he does I will praise him.

Let's say we'd brought someone in that immediately tried to transform this lot into a progressive, passing team midway through the season.

How long do we reckon it would have been before the main stand were yelling at them to "stop that tippy tappy rubbish" and "gerrit forward"... and for posters on here to call for us to play 4-4-2 and "hit the big man".

Mellon's improved our form considerably, to the extent that we're near the top of the form table, and should be on course to make the playoffs. To slag him off for not having us play like Barcelona whilst doing it feels a little bit unfair to me. 

• Like 3