Micky Mellon Sack Watch

Just now, League one forever said:

Not aimed at you Wardie or any other individual, but I don’t care where our fans watch us or what they find palatable. I want us to win every game, there is no special onus on winning at home if it’s countered by cracking away form. 

I more or less only go to away games down South so the National League and our away form means OASIS types are having the best season we’ve probably ever had (although it doesn’t feel like a promotion team or atmosphere at games tbh)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Why won’t they? Our home form, dreadful as it is, is good enough to secure a play off spot 

I suppose W6 D5 L6 form would be enough if it continues alongside the away form continuing in the same vein.  Home form has us currently in 16th, away has us 4th on goal diff to Gateshead.

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I suppose W6 D5 L6 form would be enough if it continues alongside the away form continuing in the same vein.  Home form has us currently in 16th, away has us 4th on goal diff to Gateshead.

Naturally 

Just now, AndyB2 said:

Think we are going round in circles

We’re not. 

You keep extrapolating the home form as the entire form. I am saying we are two different sides home and away. Something you won’t acknowledge, and keep bringing back to the home form. 

Our away form is why we are in the playoffs our away form is what will get us to finish in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I more or less only go to away games down South so the National League and our away form means OASIS types are having the best season we’ve probably ever had (although it doesn’t feel like a promotion team or atmosphere at games tbh)

Yep. I’ve been away 3 times this season, and we’ve won every one. I can’t remember the last time that happened- If ever. (Think the atmosphere/promotion thing is down to low crowds and playing catch up all season) 

Just now, League one forever said:

We’re not. 

You keep extrapolating the home form as the entire form. I am saying we are two different sides home and away. Something you won’t acknowledge, and keep bringing back to the home form. 

Our away form is why we are in the playoffs our away form is what will get us to finish in the playoffs. 

I am merely pointing out the logic of people fearing the worst as most only see what they see. Try and tell me I am wrong if you like.

That we are capable of what happened yesterday (and it wasn’t the first time) is terrifying to me. 

I am the first to recognise that finishing 7th means you will most likely look shit a lot of the time, and indeed that is ok. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

We’ve had it in the past. People furious that we won the passing but not the game. 

Yes but when you don't or can't pass and loose as well .?what's left?

I'd rather we passed and lost or didn't pass and won. But really I'd prefer passing and winning.At present home games are awful to watch and results are bad.Still think Mellon will come good but for Christ sakes we desperately need a hard working creative midfielder and not an old centre forward.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

It was a horror show Andy- no question. It’s up-to Mellon to sort it. 

But I’ll keep saying it- the exact same players generally play a lot better away that they don’t at home. Which should bring you and everyone else some solace. 

I think it’s been apparent for some time, that we are far more suited to away games with how we set up- so if we keep winning, who cares about the home form? The most important thing is promotion,  not home form or which ground you collect the points at. 

And I'll stick with my general bewilderment at why we have to set up differently home and away.

11 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Weird that a team that can't do the basics at this level would be 2nd in the form table...

Form Table huh?

Let’s take a look at the last six games 

P6, Won 2, Drawn 2, Lost 2

Points 8 - Form Table 13th

That’s bottom half of the table form I think…

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 12:40 AM, Mark Collins said:

That was the first time I have ever walked out before the end. 

The most dreadful game I have ever seen. 

Every ball was like a clearance then head tennis till we lost it. 

Won't be going again till something drastic changes 

That just tells me you don't go much, because Saturday was no different than most home performances this season.

11 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Let's say we'd brought someone in that immediately tried to transform this lot into a progressive, passing team midway through the season.

How long do we reckon it would have been before the main stand were yelling at them to "stop that tippy tappy rubbish" and "gerrit forward"... and for posters on here to call for us to play 4-4-2 and "hit the big man".

Mellon's improved our form considerably, to the extent that we're near the top of the form table, and should be on course to make the playoffs. To slag him off for not having us play like Barcelona whilst doing it feels a little bit unfair to me. 

Er as someone who sits in the MSU and was at Mellon's first home game I can tell you the answer. About 60 minutes.

60 minutes. That was all it took until some of the main stand were shouting "Forward" as we kept possession in the central third.

The same main stand which is the easiest for Mellon (and Brabin) to hear. So what do some posters expect about his style and I know one heard it unless his hearing is very bad. If they didn't they certainly heard me chuntering about keeping the ball.

Unless those in the Main Stand who shout variations of "Forward" every time we keep the ball by passing it amongst our back 5/6 are called out the style of play won't change. You don't change culture by going online and moaning, you change culture by actions at games.

To the OP who was on here moaning the season was over in December, and now wants to sack a manager who has us in the playoff positions in late February (and likely in March) for the first time in 17 years. Can I suggest something - go watch another sport. Football isn't for you. Rugby (either code) is one where possession and territory are more crucial towards the outcome. Rugby League is also a sport more suited to the "Forward" lot in the MSU. 

40 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Form Table huh?

Let’s take a look at the last six games 

P6, Won 2, Drawn 2, Lost 2

Points 8 - Form Table 13th

That’s bottom half of the table form I think…

The last 10 is won 6, drawn 2, lost 2 which would have us 2nd. The way some people are wetting the bed on here you'd think we'd lost every game 

13 hours ago, disjointed said:

At least I can see you are totally mad now, I have a ST but can't be arsed to watch it when I'm not at the game. 

I'm almost always out on a Tuesday. Which is generally a relief.

11 minutes ago, shaw_blue said:

That just tells me you don't go much, because Saturday was no different than most home performances this season.

That would be true of me. I left a few minutes early and I've done that three times since I first went in 1966. To be fair I had to stay to the end with my Dad in those early years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The last 10 is won 6, drawn 2, lost 2 which would have us 2nd. The way some people are wetting the bed on here you'd think we'd lost every game 

That’s not the point and of course you know that.

What we are seeing is that our form is dropping off - that cannot be denied and it’s worrying. 

9 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Yes but when you don't or can't pass and loose as well .?what's left?

I'd rather we passed and lost or didn't pass and won. But really I'd prefer passing and winning.At present home games are awful to watch and results are bad.Still think Mellon will come good but for Christ sakes we desperately need a hard working creative midfielder and not an old centre forward.

It's not so much passing is my beef it's the lack of running directly at opponents with the ball from central midfield.

Opponents who come to BP know we cant do it, but we don't like it done to ourselves and go on the back foot.

I feel the addition of a Conn-Clarke midfielder and a couple of wingers (who are already on the books) could be the answer.

A simple change for the better IMO, we simply can't carry on at home with 7 at the back hoofball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

What we are seeing is that our form is dropping off - that cannot be denied and it’s worrying. 

Is it?

We’ve picked up 7 points in the last four games, which is one point off the ‘longer term’ pattern of 2 points game over 10 matches.

Win tomorrow and are  back on 2 points a game for the last five. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Is it? You’re basing that on 1 game. The previous 6 games we got 11 points. 

13 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Er as someone who sits in the MSU and was at Mellon's first home game I can tell you the answer. About 60 minutes.

60 minutes. That was all it took until some of the main stand were shouting "Forward" as we kept possession in the central third.

The same main stand which is the easiest for Mellon (and Brabin) to hear. So what do some posters expect about his style and I know one heard it unless his hearing is very bad. If they didn't they certainly heard me chuntering about keeping the ball.

Unless those in the Main Stand who shout variations of "Forward" every time we keep the ball by passing it amongst our back 5/6 are called out the style of play won't change. You don't change culture by going online and moaning, you change culture by actions at games.

To the OP who was on here moaning the season was over in December, and now wants to sack a manager who has us in the playoff positions in late February (and likely in March) for the first time in 17 years. Can I suggest something - go watch another sport. Football isn't for you. Rugby (either code) is one where possession and territory are more crucial towards the outcome. Rugby League is also a sport more suited to the "Forward" lot in the MSU. 

I saw MM many times on Saturday urging his players to push up.

The ball did go forward, but it was via the big boot in the air.

I think by forward fans mean taking the game to the opposition which unfortunately has been rarely seen at BP.

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Are we? 2 defeats in 10 seems still seems like decent form to me

If we lose the next couple then I'll start worrying 

45 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That would be true of me. I left a few minutes early and I've done that three times since I first went in 1966. To be fair I had to stay to the end with my Dad in those early years.

It wasn't a criticism of anybody not attending, more of an observation the performance on Saturday was no different than the vast majority of home games this season, it would have been far more of a suprise if we had played well and steam rolled Kidderminster because we haven't done that once at BP this season and i include Aldershot because even that game we were clinging on at certain points.