Micky Mellon Sack Watch

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

With our budget there is no reason we shouldn't be able to produce a good passing attacking team rather than a defensive hoofball one.

Gateshead played us off the park at BP with I imagine with a far smaller budget and now they are in the play offs.

That's how I want it anyway.

Then again I'm a 1990s JR team style dinosaur.

See what happens when a club gives a manager time when progress is being made. 

I started in watching Latics in 1982 BP and I can assure you, it wasn’t all rosy in the garden when JR was at the helm.

But, the board stuck with Big Joe as he was making progress. The 86 campaign after being beaten by Leeds in the playoffs was abysmal: But let’s forget about that, we only remember the good times.👍👍👍

5 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

8 of yesterday's starting 11, and 2 of the 3 subs introduced, were here before MM was appointed. It's not the managers fault that pretty much none of them can consistently pass the ball to a team mate. He's recognised this, and usually sets us up to give us the best chance of winning despite this - and more often that not it works. The players he's brought in at least hint towards a more competent team, but come with fitness issues. We'll probably make the playoffs this year, as the league is pretty shit, but even if we don't/don't go up via them, we'll more than likely be a challenger next year.

The mentality of "well we've binned off Unsy, we should win every game now with complete dominance" just shows how clueless many of our fans are.

Be nice to dominate the odd game though eh

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Be nice to dominate the odd game though eh

It would,  but I’m also enjoying being in the playoffs whilst taking points off plenty of teams who have dominated us.

15 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Lets be honest here, if we make the play offs this season, that has to be seen as progress, especially after our start and the DU dibacle.

Like it or not we have to trust MM to move this club forward, his past record and experience shows that.

Yes his football is direct and as it stands we dont look great playing that way. When we had Norwood and Stones up top you could see it starting to work but without those two we look like we can't play that way. Fondop and Garner are no replacement, they are back up really.

Perhaps in the window the players that suit MMs play were not available or we will wait for the summer with the hope we can get in the play offs and then it really is a lottery, they dont always go to form.

Yesterday was a missed opportunity to excite a few new and old fans to come back but they just couldn't.

And imo Sutton is better playing on the right than anyone I've seen replace him.

Get Norwood back fit and that gives us some class up top. 

No way we even consider a new manager.

If we had won yesterday fans would have said they dont mind winning ugly. 

We have to trust this manager and believe he will make us better with a summer window.

Just my opinion.

I agree and I think it's the opinion of most Latics fans .

We can't keep changing the manager every time we play badly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

See what happens when a club gives a manager time when progress is being made. 

I started in watching Latics in 1982 BP and I can assure you, it wasn’t all rosy in the garden when JR was at the helm.

But, the board stuck with Big Joe as he was making progress. The 86 campaign after being beaten by Leeds in the playoffs was abysmal: But let’s forget about that, we only remember the good times.👍👍👍

Please dont associate any of Royle's teams with that shower yesterday, never can I remember one of his teams playing in such an half arsed manner at home, granted we were never the best away from home but at home they'd never throw in performances like that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Just out of interest,  what do fans want. Would you prefer playing well and be 3rd from bottom or being inconsistent due to bad signings and early days into a new takeover and still punching in the playoffs.

I’d like to be playing well and safely ensconced in the playoff positions 👍

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Some people where I sit fucked off after 25 minutes and never returned, at least we got a quid out of them.

In 57 years that was the third time I have left a game early.  Not quite that early...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Let’s be honest, David had one full season, a full preseason and 12 games into a new campaign which left us 3rd from bottom in the 5 tier of armpit football and blowing a budget on mediocre shit at best players.

Mickey has come in, had five months and in that time had took us on a record away win sequence, platted shit the best way possible, got us in the playoffs, 3rd in form since he’s been here .

Just out of interest,  what do fans want. Would you prefer playing well and be 3rd from bottom or being inconsistent due to bad signings and early days into a new takeover and still punching in the playoffs.

Being passed off the park is shit, but we are hardly being spanked. Every football purest knows this is a shit division were anything can happen.

Why are some of you in shock, we got warned about this league when we unfortunately fell into it.

The shock is that clubs with a fraction of our resources have been able to produce teams capable of playing an attractive style whereas we seemingly aren't allowed to expect something similar.

Personally I would have been OK with taking a bit more pain this season if it meant an attractive process/style being implemented that you could hopefully take through the divisions, we aren't doing that with Mellon.

3 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Maidenhead?

What a time to be alive.

Going back to Mellon he's going nowhere but he gets a very easy ride at the minute given what's gone previous, on the signings he's made though I'm getting worried as he seems incapable of even spotting where the problems are and has a weakness in that he seems almost obliged to shoehorn some of the senior players in to the team despite them being fucking awful. 

35 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The shock is that clubs with a fraction of our resources have been able to produce teams capable of playing an attractive style whereas we seemingly aren't allowed to expect something similar.

Personally I would have been OK with taking a bit more pain this season if it meant an attractive process/style being implemented that you could hopefully take through the divisions, we aren't doing that with Mellon.

No one isn't "allowed" to expect anything. It's just futile that's all. Mellon is not the sort of manager that will play expansive, flowing football. We all know that. You mention it often enough. So what's the point in bleating on about it every time we lose a game?

It's pretty obvious he was brought in with the main objective of getting us promoted. So far he is returning the sort of points needed to give us a chance of doing that this season via the play offs. I don't think anyone sensible thinks he was brought in to remind us all of 1990.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Been abroad have you? Should have said

You're a poisonous individual aren't you? I was simply giving some background as to why I`d only returned to watch Latics recently. I`m sure not everyone on here pours over my every post like you seem to do so wouldn't be privy to the same intense knowledge as you.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What a time to be alive.

Going back to Mellon he's going nowhere but he gets a very easy ride at the minute given what's gone previous, on the signings he's made though I'm getting worried as he seems incapable of even spotting where the problems are and has a weakness in that he seems almost obliged to shoehorn some of the senior players in to the team despite them being fucking awful. 

You are right, he seems obliged to play his 4 senior centre backs when only 2 are required as though he doesn't want to upset those left out.

It also means his best young centre defender Sutton is never  considered for his best position.

Kitching is also a concern, he doesn't look happy and his form has dipped badly meaning we now have problems at right and left back.

Conlon seems a good midfielder forced into a deep defensive role he unlikely played at Port Vale.

No runners, no passers, it was  inevitable we played as we did yesterday.

I hope MM can ditch the old guard who let the team down top many times and improve the performances.

Lose at Maidstone and hope of the play offs will disappear fast with more disillusioned fans venting their feelings.

Having said that his counter attack tactics could work at Maidstone, but he really needs to change it for home games as its proved a disaster.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What a time to be alive.

Does he get an easy ride? Do you want him under more pressure? Or shall we just let him deliver the job he's employed for?

16 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

No one isn't "allowed" to expect anything. It's just futile that's all. Mellon is not the sort of manager that will play expansive, flowing football. We all know that. You mention it often enough. So what's the point in bleating on about it every time we lose a game?

It's pretty obvious he was brought in with the main objective of getting us promoted. So far he is returning the sort of points needed to give us a chance of doing that this season via the play offs. I don't think anyone sensible thinks he was brought in to remind us all of 1990.

Why not? we have one of the biggest budgets in the league to sign the best young attacking players  available.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are right, he seems obliged to play his 4 senior centre backs when only 2 are required as though he doesn't want to upset those left out.

It also means his best young centre defender Sutton is never  considered for his best position.

Kitching is also a concern, he doesn't look happy and his form has dipped badly meaning we now have problems at right and left back.

Conlon seems a good midfielder forced into a deep defensive role he unlikely played at Port Vale.

No runners, no passers, it was  inevitable we played as we did yesterday.

I hope MM can ditch the old guard who let the team down top many times and improve the performances.

Lose at Maidstone and hope of the play offs will disappear fast with more disillusioned fans venting their feelings.

Having said that his counter attack tactics could work at Maidstone, but he really needs to change it for home games as its proved a disaster.

Maidstone?

Just now, oafcmetty said:

Does he get an easy ride? Do you want him under more pressure? Or shall we just let him deliver the job he's employed for?

Wasn't delivered at yesterday, when will it be at home?

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Wasn't delivered at yesterday, when will it be at home?

Before yesterday we'd won three of the last four at home in the league.

Edited by oafcmetty
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

You're a poisonous individual aren't you? I was simply giving some background as to why I`d only returned to watch Latics recently. I`m sure not everyone on here pours over my every post like you seem to do so wouldn't be privy to the same intense knowledge as you.

I don't. You post it enough that even brief followers of this will know Wiseowl 

15 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Before yesterday we'd won three of the last four at home in the league.

We are talking about abysmal tactics which don't work at home and will continue to do so until MM sees the light.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Please dont associate any of Royle's teams with that shower yesterday, never can I remember one of his teams playing in such an half arsed manner at home, granted we were never the best away from home but at home they'd never throw in performances like that.

Im not, I was suggesting that it all wasn’t rosy under Joe.

The only comparison I made was that there were spells under Joe that were horrific. I remember in that horrible post season after Leeds play offs being batttered by Branford away in the FA Cup 5.1. That was as equally as shit as yesterdays performance.