MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (A) 23/03/24

That was such a poor game and a poor performance from our team overall

What pissed me off most was the complete lack of urgency especially going into last 15 minutes. Long delays taking throw ins and kick outs etc. Even near the end when  it  was almost a penalty for them and we were given a free kick, Hudson just stood there instead of going to get the ball which was behind the end line.

Very disappointing and hard to see where we can get enough points now to scrape into 7th

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Not necessary. 

Neither is his constant negativity. Season over, won't watch again. Worst he's ever seen. 

Him, @AndyB2, @deyres42 and a few others frothing at the gash to get on here when we play poorly and don't win.

Poor today. Season isn't over. Not the worst we've ever seen.

Small way into a huge rebuild. 

• Like 6

I suppose you could say that we're still in the race for the playoffs, so if we do pick up at least four points from the Easter weekend we'll still have a decent chance of nabbing a top 7 spot (nabbing it is the best I can hope for with the way we're playing).

But that was the most disappointing performance of the season, on the back of a good performance last week, that has shot to pieces much of the hope that we are a playoff or promotion-winning team.  That was the game that we needed to step up and prove that we are the team to beat in the playoffs but it was such a laboured and turgid performance that was lacking in intelligence on the pitch.

Mellon should absolutely get the summer transfer window and I think we'll have the chance to get a lot of players with the wrong mentality out of the club which I can see him doing, but the performances are so bad that it's losing him credit with the fans ahead of next season which could put unnecessary pressure on him.  He could be doing a lot better than this with the players we have, regardless of their flaws.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
  • Like 1

Watching Mellon post match he looks a beaten man and totally perplexed. Not surprisingly really.

Looking at his transfer business it's been a disaster really and we need to get away from signing shit players who make us no better, in fact I'd go so far as to say we are worse off. Problem areas still not been addressed and Mellon has ostracized at least a dozen players many of whom we will have to pay wages to throughout next season as there will be few takers on the contracts they are on, players on a couple of grand a week are going nowhere.

He's signed about half a dozen the best of those is Garner and he can't get a start. How's that even possible.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Watching Mellon post match he looks a beaten man and totally perplexed. Not surprisingly really.

Looking at his transfer business it's been a disaster really and we need to get away from signing shit players who make us no better, in fact I'd go so far as to say we are worse off. Problem areas still not been addressed and Mellon has ostracized at least a dozen players many of whom we will have to pay wages to throughout next season as there will be few takers on the contracts they are on, players on a couple of grand a week are going nowhere.

He's signed about half a dozen the best of those is Garner and he can't get a start. How's that even possible.

Transfer business has been a disaster since Rothwell took over, and thats not a dig at him at all. We’ve made a lot of off field improvements, but the pitch is where it’s the most important and if I were Frank i’d be asking questions as to why he’s wasted so much of his money on signings that aren’t working. I thank DR for all he did getting Rothwell on board, and he doesn’t get any pressure from me at the moment, but at the end of the day he’s in charge of the football side and he’ll eventually be held accountable if we carry on recruiting badly. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 11:46 AM, Worcester Owl said:

Looking at the last 5 46 game seasons, the team finishing 7th had the following points:

16/17 75

17/18 73

18/19 74

20/21 69

22/23 71

I'll stick my neck out and say we'll get the following results:

Dagenham - draw

Fylde - win

Altrincham - draw

Rochdale - draw

Halifax - draw

Oxford - win

Wealdstone - win

That would give us 72 points, so let's hope @Monty Burns is right! It's going to be incredibly tight. We don't lose many, which is a plus, but we have been drawing too many also. The Rochdale game looks pretty crucial actually, and like any local derby is impossible to predict. If we lose that, it's probably curtains, even though it would only knock us down to 71 points. Of course none of the above takes any account of what other teams do! 🤷‍♂️

I had Dagenham down as a draw. I don’t particularly care about performances at this stage, only points matter. There are limp rags on here who either blub about another terrible performance, or get off in their delight at same - you know who you are - but I remain confident that we will end with 72 points. Whether that will be enough, who knows. Why said limp rags expect this fairly average squad to suddenly produce promotion form at the business end of the season is a mystery.

Edited by Worcester Owl

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

That centre mid for them, think his first name was Keenan ? Absolutely fantastic. Tackled, passed the ball well, kept hold of it. That’s a proper holding midfielder. On loan from West Ham. 

Not chasing your own mistakes. 

Not long back and have a Red Stripe in my hand (other beers are available) so the days slightly improved.

He was head and shoulders above anything on the pitch today, despite being about 5 foot 5, and rightly got MOM.

Less said about us the better, someone sat behind us said it felt like a meaningless end of season game the way it was being played by us and it did we just never turned up.

Anyone know why there was a Cameroon flag hung up in the Latics section, had the Yaoundé supporters club nipped over for the game?

Edited by Inspectormorose.

Just now, Inspectormorose. said:

Anyone know why there was a Cameroon flag hung up in the Latics section, had the Yaoundé supporters club nipped over for the game?

Karl Mike Fondop Talom

We must have gone through 9 different centre midfielders this season but some how Nathan sheron outlives them all. 

again another woeful performance. Scared to control the ball and just aimless hoofing.

compare to their number 20 who ran their midfield 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I had Dagenham down as a draw. I don’t particularly care about performances at this stage, only points matter. There are limp rags on here who either blub about another terrible performance, or get off in their delight at same - you know who you are - but I remain confident that we will end with 72 points. Whether that will be enough, who knows. Why said limp rags expect this fairly average squad to suddenly produce promotion form at the business end of the season is a mystery.

What are you going on about? If you were there today then surely you saw what I saw - namely another shocking performance where too many individuals simply do not display the most basic skills: we could not trap the ball, hold on to the ball, pass to a team mate - it was back to aimless lumping the ball forward with no skill or thought. Even average footballers should be able to do the simple things. 

Once again they let the fans and themselves down - and they deserved the derision they got as they walked off.

I am disappointed and angry at another woeful display - this dross is being served up far too often and I am heartily sick of it.

Mellon looks at a loss as to why and his post match excuses are wearing thin.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

People pay their money and are entitled to react how they see fit, personally I've booed them off once this season at Southend, now I just walk out - generally early to avoid the piss boil. 

Worry for me is the season ticket sales for next season which is a bit ironic as I'm probably going to give it a swerve myself if they go up in price.

It's not so much the booing that I can't get my head around - it's the amount of abuse shouted at the players that blows my mind.

In fact, the only reason I clapped them yesterday is cos they were getting an unnecessary amount of grief from a section of the fanbase...

• Like 6

8 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We must have gone through 9 different centre midfielders this season but some how Nathan sheron outlives them all. 

again another woeful performance. Scared to control the ball and just aimless hoofing.

compare to their number 20 who ran their midfield 

Didn't look too much of him size wise but he had heart, popped up in both boxes and could play a bit as well and was brave on the ball.

Surely a team with our budget can find a couple of players like him who keep the midfield ticking over or at least make it competitive. 

Our midfield other than Sheron actually look like they don't want to be here, what changed from the week before?

Our squad was badly exposed yesterday, throwing on four strikers at the end if you count Hope with nobody who can find a pass behind was stupid, Walker was disappointing but he's probably seen his arse as he's been given zero opportunity until yesterday - despite previously playing well. Conlon was rightly pulled and could have been after half hour but he's the only one capable of controlling a game in there, Gardner looks like he's going through the motions for us and looks ready for the knackers yard and other than that we've little to offer. McGahey is doing his best but he's played in half a dozen positions since Christmas and looks exposed in every one. 

Finally and this will be controversial, these same players didn't down tools as often as this for Unsworth, it's almost every other game now under Mellon and I'm scratching my head as to why, are the players picking and choosing when they want to play or has Mellon lost parts of the dressing room? He's banished around a third of the contracted players and left himself with the ones he can 'trust' but they are making him and Brabin look like a cunt - or does the problem still exist in that group?.

Honestly after yesterday I'd be happy if I didn't see 90% of that group again and you can probably start to count the manager in that now, where are we going with it?, it's turgid, tedious, uninspiring. What are they doing on the training ground? Where are the youth players coming through? That's ground to a halt in favour of 35 year old journeyman. Since Murray's been involved in training we've turned in to the most negative, boring team I've ever seen, we have a team now that would make Ronnie Moore's look like prime Brazil. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's not so much the booing that I can't get my head around - it's the amount of abuse shouted at the players that blows my mind.

In fact, the only reason I clapped them yesterday is cos they were getting an unnecessary amount of grief from a section of the fanbase...

It's the ones doing it throughout the game I don't understand, they've gone there to support them I presume but they are giving certain players pelters from the off. At full time I'm not really arsed, I thought the players made an effort to come over yesterday and they showed more balls doing that than they did in the game but the abuse was predictable. Unfortunately this group are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and getting worse by the week.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This giving grief doesn't do anyone any favours. There was an element of performative nonsense about it too.

Due to the remaining fixtures I think making the playoffs might still be in our hands. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's the ones doing it throughout the game I don't understand, they've gone there to support them I presume but they are giving certain players pelters from the off. At full time I'm not really arsed, I thought the players made an effort to come over yesterday and they showed more balls doing that than they did in the game but the abuse was predictable. Unfortunately this group are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and getting worse by the week.

Wasn't the tunnel right next to the away fans, so they didn't have much choice??

The abuse displayed on the  video on Twitter does seem OTT.  What's the point in doing that now?  We need everyone pulling together to get us in the play-offs (which we can still get into!) - the abuse isn't going to help with that.  We didn't lose and the performance can't be a complete shock, given it's in keeping with the rest of season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Wasn't the tunnel right next to the away fans, so they didn't have much choice??

The abuse displayed on the  video on Twitter does seem OTT.  What's the point in doing that now?  We need everyone pulling together to get us in the play-offs (which we can still get into!) - the abuse isn't going to help with that.  We didn't lose and the performance can't be a complete shock, given it's in keeping with the rest of season.

Fans were behind the goal yesterday. Problem is some people spend all their money following this bunch around so they feel let down. I wouldn't go that far for free at the moment but I'm happy to pay £10 to watch it on NLTV in the comfort of my own home. I agree we need to stick together but that starts with those on the pitch giving the minimum. 

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Eyresy comes on here and gets grief for saying our fanbase is entitled, but stuff like yesterday, and post-Aldershot backs up his theory. Especially when people are chucking it over social media to get views and likes...

Anyway, the game. Hudson seemed to forget what kit we were wearing - every kick went to a Dagenham player. Sheron was so bad that he should be fined two weeks wages. Garner pissed me off chucking himself to the ground every time, deliveries into the box were a shambles. Fondop's chance at the end is an absolute sitter and we failed to lay a glove on the little number 30 in midfield. 

Plenty of time to put it right...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No one did that yesterday. Little bit of abuse at the end with some clapping it off. Fans were singing most of the game.