MATCH: AFC Fylde (H) 29/03/24

2 minutes ago, deckyd said:

If we get a performance resembling anything like that of last Sat, think its going to turn very very negative, (even more so than some fans are feeling currently).  We need to pull a performance out of somewhere, which can happen with this team and hopefully today is one of those days.  

Graeme Souness (podcast) used to tell one of his players back in the day, if they were under the cosh, losing or game was dead, that one of them put in a massive tackle (fair or otherwise) or to start a ruckus to get the fans involved and galvanise the team, anything to gee them up.  Not a bad idea, within reason of todays standards,  so many home games this season there has been nothing to shout about, a bit of commitment or passion from the players may at least keep the fans motivated to stay with them so to speak.  

True but it can work both ways.

This was epitomised in the Liverpool v Arsenal match last season when the away team were cruising it at 2 nil only for Xhaka to needlessly "pick a fight" with Trent Arnold which galvanised a sleepy Kop and turn the match around.

I'm convinced Arsenal would have gone on to win the match and the title had Xhaka not tried to play the hard man ! 🙄

5 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

True but it can work both ways.

This was epitomised in the Liverpool v Arsenal match last season when the away team were cruising it at 2 nil only for Xhaka to needlessly "pick a fight" with Trent Arnold which galvanised a sleepy Kop and turn the match around.

I'm convinced Arsenal would have gone on to win the match and the title had Xhaka not tried to play the hard man ! 🙄

Exactly this, think his idea being when team is losing, no need when your in front!

Anything at all from the players to give the indication they give a toss!  So many times it seems they are going through the motions.

Edited by deckyd

16 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Another comment from Brabin saying we were near the bottom when they come in. We were 13th 3 points from the play offs 

On the website Brabin is quoted as saying: "When we came in we had a squad which on paper should be competing, but wasn’t, it was struggling near the bottom."

When Unsworth was sacked we were 23rd, but when MM was appointed we were up to 13th on 19 points, 5 pts off the play-offs and 6 pts off the relegation places.

If you wanted to be pedantic you could argue that were were in the bottom half of the table. However, as far as points were concerned we were closer to the play-offs (just).

Brabin said it wrong in one of the very few interviews he does. I have checked and it didn't quite make it into the top ten crimes of the century :)

My god, come on,  we all know what he was meaning he just said it wrong!!! 

I don't know why people get so annoyed with these interviews. It's all mainly waffle which you're slated for or brutal honesty.... which you are slated for.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Tis the season for resurrections.

Although the great man himself might have thought this one was a step too far...

Have faith brother, let's make that first step together.... 3 points today.

Today is the first "must win" of the run-in for me. Gives slightly better hindsight to an away point at a beach-ready Dagenham but more importantly picks up three points from a round of fixtures where other sides around us are facing each other (Solihull, Barnet, Halifax, Rochdale, Gateshead) or are away at sides scrapping for points in a tight relegation block (Aldershot, Altrincham, Southend, Bromley).

A few of these go our way and the giddiness begins again ahead of Monday. 

If I have to go to Halifax (unfortunately sober) with nothing to play for but finishing above Rochdale or something asinine, I'm booing for 90 mins.

4 minutes ago, Gentleman said:

Today is the first "must win" of the run-in for me. Gives slightly better hindsight to an away point at a beach-ready Dagenham but more importantly picks up three points from a round of fixtures where other sides around us are facing each other (Solihull, Barnet, Halifax, Rochdale, Gateshead) or are away at sides scrapping for points in a tight relegation block (Aldershot, Altrincham, Southend, Bromley).

A few of these go our way and the giddiness begins again ahead of Monday. 

If I have to go to Halifax (unfortunately sober) with nothing to play for but finishing above Rochdale or something asinine, I'm booing for 90 mins.

90 mins!! I admire your resolve to stick it out until the end :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Tis the season for resurrections.

Although the great man himself might have thought this one was a step too far...

Be in the book of revelations if we go up this season 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We are due a win I think we will get one tomorrow. I'm hoping last week was a slap in the face for a few of the players.

Or water off a duck's back, more likely.

1 hour ago, deckyd said:

If we get a performance resembling anything like that of last Sat, think its going to turn very very negative, (even more so than some fans are feeling currently).  We need to pull a performance out of somewhere, which can happen with this team and hopefully today is one of those days.  

Graeme Souness (podcast) used to tell one of his players back in the day, if they were under the cosh, losing or game was dead, that one of them put in a massive tackle (fair or otherwise) or to start a ruckus to get the fans involved and galvanise the team, anything to gee them up.  Not a bad idea, within reason of todays standards,  so many home games this season there has been nothing to shout about, a bit of commitment or passion from the players may at least keep the fans motivated to stay with them so to speak.  

We need something to hang onto today.

If they don't have a right good go, I'd honestly play the kids for the rest of the season.

24 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Or water off a duck's back, more likely.

That's the spirit!

We've thrown in a number of stinkers this season and on numerous occasions have gone on to pull of wins it can happen today.

55 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Brabin said it wrong in one of the very few interviews he does. I have checked and it didn't quite make it into the top ten crimes of the century :)

My god, come on,  we all know what he was meaning he just said it wrong!!! 

I don't know why people get so annoyed with these interviews. It's all mainly waffle which you're slated for or brutal honesty.... which you are slated for.

Some interview though, I'm actually staggered he's been allowed anywhere near one before given the tripe he's spouted.

"We've got ourselves in a position where we can turn the season in to a successful one".

Really? Did he do this interview 5 games ago?.

"I think we are going in the right direction".

He doesn't seem convinced.

"We strive for consistency in performance and results".

Spectacular fail on that front then, infact I'd go as far to claim the thing he strives for most is our achilles heel.

"Squad which on paper should be competing but was struggling at the bottom".

Not entirely true, we were seven unbeaten in between Rhino going and Mellon coming in, 4 wins and 3 draws including a win away at Altrincham in the Cup so the suggestion we were a lost cause is frankly bollocks.

"We've been saying for weeks now that we don't want to be relying on results that other teams get".

That's exactly were we are at now though isn't it and reaching the playoffs is no longer in our own hands.

"Obviously it's nice when you look at results and your competitors drop points ".

Nobodies dropping more than us at the minute.

"I believe fitness and consistency are getting closer together each week"

Nice to know the fitness is coming along - nearly six months in to their tenure, as for consistency the only thing we are consistent at is being inconsistent. 

I know pre match interviews are something nobody wants to do but that one there is about as car crash as it gets.

2 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Another small team turning up like it's their cup final. 

I don't have high hopes for today.

Once we work out a way of subduing that cup final mentality in the opposition we will be onto something 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Some interview though, I'm actually staggered he's been allowed anywhere near one before given the tripe he's spouted.

"We've got ourselves in a position where we can turn the season in to a successful one".

Spectacular fail on that front then, infact I'd go as far to claim the thing he strives for most is our achilles heel.

Not entirely true, we were seven unbeaten in between Rhino going and Mellon coming in, 4 wins and 3 draws including a win away at Altrincham in the Cup so the suggestion we were a lost cause is frankly bollocks.

"We've been saying for weeks now that we don't want to be relying on results that other teams get".

That's exactly were we are at now though isn't it and reaching the playoffs is no longer in our own hands.

"Obviously it's nice when you look at results and your competitors drop points ".

Nice to know the fitness is coming along - nearly six months in to their tenure, as for consistency the only thing we are consistent at is being inconsistent. 

I know pre match interviews are something nobody wants to do but that one there is about as car crash as it gets.

It sounds bad, I honestly don't listen to them because as I said it's all waffle and trying to put a positive spin on things. Also if he was brutally honest and slagged the players off people would say that he should keep those thoughts in-house.

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I mean you could interpret most of it positively - the first line about "getting us into a position to be successful" is a good message, as he's saying we've not given up.

It is in our hands, but we'd have to beat Alty and Halifax.

Mystified by the "fitness is coming along" one.  It's nearly the end of the season!  Then they'll lose fitness over the summer.  Then they'll have to build it up again!

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Paid to watch on NLTV and now find I can't watch live. How soon after the game are replays usually available?

Use a VPN with a hotel address abroad.

EDIT:I am sure you know this

Edited by Lags

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

That's the spirit!

We've thrown in a number of stinkers this season and on numerous occasions have gone on to pull of wins it can happen today.

Of course they can win, they just have to behave like a team of footballers and not incompetent strangers.
It's 50/50 really, isn't it?

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Once we work out a way of subduing that cup final mentality in the opposition we will be onto something 

The attitude should be that the whole 'Cup final mentality' of the opposition should be a compliment to Latics and the club, not a fucking handicap.

Just now, Wardie said:

The attitude should be that the whole 'Cup final mentality' of the opposition should be a compliment to Latics and the club, not a fucking handicap.

Or maybe they just look at us and think it's a winnable game.