• Release
  9. 9. Mike Fondop

• Retain
    • Release
  10. 10. Hallam Hope

• Retain
    • Release

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 12:55 PM

Hope Fondop is given a contract. Not sure about Green as he has had a lot of time out injured. Same with Gardner but he was one of the players putting effort in in last few games. 

Of those still on contract I cannot see Garner wanting to leave as at his age it is probable last season he will get anywhere. 

Would lke to see Norwood stay but he he will probably leave with other offers.

Interesting article i paper today about Mulin at Wrexham who said Mellon had no time for him when at Tranmere. MM says he knows a what godd is

On 4/25/2024 at 4:21 PM, LaticsEddie said:

The contribution from the backline was woeful last season but those stats aren't true.

Kitching G0/A4
Hobson G0/A0
Raglan G0/A2
Hogan G1/A3
Sutton G0/A2

MM wasn't at the youth game today and missed some excellent performances.

The passing and determination was light years ahead of the first team and at least 5 were better than those on the retained list

He's not attended others as well.

I like to hear him explain why not?

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The passing and determination was light years ahead of the first team and at least 5 were better than those on the retained list

I might be going out on a limb here,  but it could be the passing looks better because they’re also playing a load youths.

I do largely get your points, but you obsession with bringing Mellon into yours posts is odd. We’ve had plenty worse managers than Mellon in our time, but you’ve really got a bee in your bonnet this time…

Edited by sjk2008
  • Like 4

I would like to think Mellon has his finger on the pulse when it comes to our youth players. Any football manager at any level who ignores the youth setup is in the wrong job. 

Edited by Fervid

6 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

I might be going out on a limb here,  but it could be the passing looks better because they’re also playing a load youths.

I do largely get your points, but you obsession with bringing Mellon into yours posts is odd. We’ve had plenty worse managers than Mellon in our time, but you’ve really got a bee in your bonnet this time…

No, the passing philosophy has definitely come from the coach Chukwuma Akunto. The youth matches I've seen have been high tempo and competitive with players closed down quickly, many are big and strong and take no prisoners.

Yesterday the Latics left back was surrounded by 3 opponents, but his colleagues quickly came to help him out and passed the ball to each other to set up an attack.

No hoof ball was on display throughout the match with the coach constantly encouraging the players, but promptly making tactical changes if things weren't working out.

It's well known I'm no fan of MM and the fact he wasn't at this game and others to run over the youths endorses it even more.

The first thing I'd do is promote the coach to the first team to change the style of play, but I can't see MM doing that as it he seems stuck in his ways.

I can see we will lose this coach and many of the youth to higher clubs which would be a big mistake IMO.

I was talking to some Shrewsbury supporters at the match and they were full of praise for the excellent football from the Latics, that tells me a lot.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, BP1960 said:

How do know he wasn’t there. Did you check every part of the ground? You’re beginning to sound like a broken record. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

How do know he wasn’t there. Did you check every part of the ground? You’re beginning to sound like a broken record. 

BP goes to chapel rd regularly and if he was there you couldn’t help but see him….I didn’t see him yesterday either and one or two attendees mentioned it too so I’m guessing he probably wasn’t there!

42 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

I asked Paul Murray, who was there. Is that good enough for you?

1 hour ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

Ah, so a senior coach was there to report back to MM. Yes that will do

That's surely not a senior coach/academy manager who invites youth team players to regularly train with the first team in full view of the senior manager and coach?

1 hour ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

Ah, so a senior coach was there to report back to MM. Yes that will do

Not good enough, a manager should see players for himself. Maybe that was the problem this season with his own signings he can't have seen as they hadn't played for a long time or had been recommended by agents. You need to look at the current form not past form.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not good enough, a manager should see players for himself. Maybe that was the problem this season with his own signings he can't have seen as they hadn't played for a long time or had been recommended by agents. You need to look at the current form not past form.

It seems unless the club listen to you, it will never be good enough!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

It seems unless the club listen to you, it will never be good enough!

You have to admit, the 1st team coach should show an interest in the youth players coming through and there’s really no substitute for seeing them in the flesh so to speak.

I’ve heard loads of reports from BP1960 throughout the season but Saturday was the 1st time I’d seen them for myself and I have to admit to being impressed by 3 or 4 of them.

The No2, No4, No6, and No9, could have played some part in the last game or been on the bench. They are far more skilful confident & mobile than some of our regulars.

It’s a big step up admittedly, but it would surely have been a worthwhile exercise and a reward for having a good season.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

No, the passing philosophy has definitely come from the coach Chukwuma Akunto. The youth matches I've seen have been high tempo and competitive with players closed down quickly, many are big and strong and take no prisoners.

Yesterday the Latics left back was surrounded by 3 opponents, but his colleagues quickly came to help him out and passed the ball to each other to set up an attack.

No hoof ball was on display throughout the match with the coach constantly encouraging the players, but promptly making tactical changes if things weren't working out.

It's well known I'm no fan of MM and the fact he wasn't at this game and others to run over the youths endorses it even more.

The first thing I'd do is promote the coach to the first team to change the style of play, but I can't see MM doing that as it he seems stuck in his ways.

I can see we will lose this coach and many of the youth to higher clubs which would be a big mistake IMO.

I was talking to some Shrewsbury supporters at the match and they were full of praise for the excellent football from the Latics, that tells me a lot.

BP you have identified a lot of the issues we have had with our first team by contrasting with the good in the youth. I’m not sure you are right with your analysis of the reason though.

Players enthusiastically enjoying their football, playing for their friends and team mates. Players desperate to win, players doing what the coach has asked for are, are all much easier in a youth environment. Managing a group of men nearing the end of careers that really didn’t reach the heights that they once dreamed of, is different. (Ask DU who didn’t manage that transition).

MM has to work out how he regenerates a team that cares. Who care for the club, the manager, for the fans and for their team mates. A team that want to make a run just to support a team mate even when they are tired. A team that steps up their performance if they go a goal down.

At the moment all he can think of as a solution is to replace them all! 
Well he can’t, so he will have to get talking to them and pull them in to his plan. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

they play on a field - it wouldn't be hard to spot him

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

BP you have identified a lot of the issues we have had with our first team by contrasting with the good in the youth. I’m not sure you are right with your analysis of the reason though.

Players enthusiastically enjoying their football, playing for their friends and team mates. Players desperate to win, players doing what the coach has asked for are, are all much easier in a youth environment. Managing a group of men nearing the end of careers that really didn’t reach the heights that they once dreamed of, is different. (Ask DU who didn’t manage that transition).

MM has to work out how he regenerates a team that cares. Who care for the club, the manager, for the fans and for their team mates. A team that want to make a run just to support a team mate even when they are tired. A team that steps up their performance if they go a goal down.

At the moment all he can think of as a solution is to replace them all! 
Well he can’t, so he will have to get talking to them and pull them in to his plan. 

It depends on the personality of the coach or manager, but getting players to play for you is a big advantage at any level.

I know one player approached, now higher than us, just didn't want to play for the manager at the time as the style of football was dire. 

Edited by BP1960

15 hours ago, Boyyou said:

That's surely not a senior coach/academy manager who invites youth team players to regularly train with the first team in full view of the senior manager and coach?

To be fair, there is all the difference in the world between watching a player - youth or established - in training, and watching him in a competitive match.

And so it's disappointing that, as the play off charge evaporated towards the end, MM couldn't give at least one or two of the youth squad a run out in a NL game, even if from the bench.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

To be fair, there is all the difference in the world between watching a player - youth or established - in training, and watching him in a competitive match.

And so it's disappointing that, as the play off charge evaporated towards the end, MM couldn't give at least one or two of the youth squad a run out in a NL game, even if from the bench.

I'm pretty sure Fergie watched the class of 92 in youth games, in fact I've seen him at a youth match away against a non league club.

Imagine Matt Busby taking someone's word George Best was good enough for the first team.

He'd have said "If he's that good I'd want to see him in a youth team game".

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I'm pretty sure Fergie watched the class of 92 in youth games, in fact I've seen him at a youth match away against a non league club.

Imagine Matt Busby taking someone's word George Best was good enough for the first team.

He'd have said "If he's that good I'd want to see him in a youth team game".

A knee injury to a more senior winger, Ian Moir, a couple of days before the game, provided Best's opening: assistant manager and youth-football guru Jimmy Murphy was insistent that the teenager should be drafted into the team.

9 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Which Busby replied, agreed, I've seen him play in the youth team.

I was actually at George's debut when he hardly got a kick. However, what struck me was not only his skill, but his determination to win the ball back after being repeatedly hacked down. When he lost that desire unfortunately his career tailed off.

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Which Busby replied, agreed, I've seen him play in the youth team.

I was actually at George's debut when he hardly got a kick. However, what struck me was not only his skill, but his determination to win the ball back after being repeatedly hacked down. When he lost that desire unfortunately his career tailed off.

His fitness level was off the scale too, particularly by the standards of the day. He trained so hard and was able to keep the damage inflicted by booze at bay for longer than most could achieve.