• Release
  9. 9. Mike Fondop

• Retain
    • Release
  10. 10. Hallam Hope

• Retain
    • Release

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 12:55 PM

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

As much as I'd agree, we don't have the budget for bringing in better players than them as back up choices.

If there is no budget for bringing better than them we are in trouble 

1 minute ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I reckon there will be that’s why get rid of them all. 

Course there will be. We will make 7/8 signings, which transforms the match day squad. 

Im not worried about us being able to make signings, I am worried about us getting the signings correct. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

You've missed the last bit of what @Frankly Mr Shankly has said. Are there better as back up for what they would cost? Not can we afford better full stop.

He might get rid of them all too, who knows. But if he does decide to keep them it doesn't necessarily mean we're fucked. Which is what some people seem to take from it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Course there will be. We will make 7/8 signings, which transforms the match day squad. 

Well if that’s the case then DR needs to say as much pretty damn quick as the early bird offers end in 10 days time.

The club wants us to commit early so let’s have some encouraging narrative.

All we’ve heard to date from our head honcho MM is doom & gloom!!

Unless there are some sort of encouraging noises from our CEO our ST take up is sure to suffer a substantial drop which in itself will drastically affect next season’s budget!

I have to say that communication with our fanbase is as bad as it’s ever been and I include the Lemsagam’s  ‘slowly slowly’ era!!

It shouldn’t need speculative journalism from the Oldham Times to inform us of MM’s intentions it should come straight from the club.

I expected much better!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It's not really a massive change though - it's just a theory that may or may not come about.  If he has a squad largely made up of players he'd worked with before, and largely ones he's said aren't good enough, we're in big trouble.  It all seems to swing on how many of the out of favour we can offload and how much of their wages we will still be paying.  Room for manoeuvre is clearly very limited and means that the half a dozen or so that we will probably sign all have to work out, hit the ground running and be injury free.  On recent form in the recruitment stakes I'd rate that as being a very long shot indeed.

I guess I disagree that sweeping changes are needed and that the chances of them happening are miniscule. It's defeatist for starters, which I'd rather not be. But I also don't think either of those things are true. We wouldn't have needed to convert many of our draws to wins to be in the play offs (4 to be exact) and that's with a squad that had some major positional gaps. So I don't think we're a million miles away from competing higher up.

I also think there's plenty of scope for moving players in and out. Most of the contracted players who we may be wanting to move have had decent careers elsewhere.

There's a lot of time for them to make advances over the summer and I don't think it requires recruitment to be perfect to do so.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I guess I disagree that sweeping changes are needed and that the chances of them happening are miniscule. It's defeatist for starters, which I'd rather not be. But I also don't think either of those things are true. We wouldn't have needed to convert many of our draws to wins to be in the play offs (4 to be exact) and that's with a squad that had some major positional gaps. So I don't think we're a million miles away from competing higher up.

I also think there's plenty of scope for moving players in and out. Most of the contracted players who we may be wanting to move have had decent careers elsewhere.

There's a lot of time for them to make advances over the summer and I don't think it requires recruitment to be perfect to do so.

You are right agents will soon find them clubs, it's not like in the 1960s when some had to to go on the dole.

Edited by BP1960

On 4/24/2024 at 11:27 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Do we place many of our faults on defence though. In terms of goals conceded, we were nowhere near the worst. In fact out of the top seven teams, we were one of the best if you're measuring that.

Creativity, goals scored, converting draws into wins and breaking down stubborn teams were all massive weaknesses which need severely addressing this summer. I'm not sure the likes of McGahey and our centre halves contribute in those areas, other than not scoring enough goals themselves as a collective. Therefore, for me, not too much needs changing amongst the personnel there.

Our goalkeeper was player of the season though.

None of them have a goal in them whether from open play or set pieces - I bet this seasons goals from defence figure is an all time low or very close.

None of them can pass or carry the ball particularly well which impacts us negatively further up the pitch and none of them are leaders/vocal enough.

There's not an ounce of ooomph amongst them.   

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

If he has a squad largely made up of players he'd worked with before, and largely ones he's said aren't good enough, we're in big trouble.

Spot on. 

Even if half the squad can be changed he’s still got a half squad he’s said numerous times isn’t good enough. Why would players who haven’t performed him or effectively been called shit - suddenly start doing it for him. It doesn’t make any sense. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I wasn't particularly defeatist until Mellon's interview which I found absolutely extraordinary.  I'm usually of a mind that managers shoudl be given plenty of time but I change my mind on that after listening to that. Just diabolical

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

Even if half the squad can be changed he’s still got a half squad he’s said numerous times isn’t good enough. Why would players who haven’t performed him or effectively been called shit - suddenly start doing it for him. It doesn’t make any sense. 

He’s never once said that every player in the squad is shit. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Our goalkeeper was player of the season though.

None of them have a goal in them whether from open play or set pieces - I bet this seasons goals from defence figure is an all time low or very close.

None of them can pass or carry the ball particularly well which impacts us negatively further up the pitch and none of them are leaders/vocal enough.

There's not an ounce of ooomph amongst them.   

Yes, agree. our 4/5 at the back have contributed almost nothing,  from the midfield forward.

Kitching played 43, no goals and no assists.      Hobson 33 played, no goals and no assists.  Raglan played 31, no goals and no assists.  Hogan, played 41, 1 goal, no assists.    That,, must be a record even at 5th league level.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He’s never once said that every player in the squad is shit. 

Eh? I never said that.

You’ve literally made that one up. 

I said - ‘why would players (plural but not individual or everybody) he’s effectively (as in might as well have) called shit start to play for him

If I could be arsed I’d give you the direct quotes where he said numerous times that many of the squad aren’t good enough, but there’s no point because you’ll ask me for more evidence or he might not mean what he says in the media. 

I saw your other reply, where you found the pissboil funny. I think you’re anti pissboil- nothing is much of a concern because it’s all part of an abstract bigger picture that no one really knows about because the club don’t communicate. 

This is what will happen, and if I’m wrong I will hold my hand up. 

We’ll get rid of a few in contract and Mellon will sign 6-8. (If not more)  The majority will be older players. Next season the football won’t change. We’ll grind, results will be indifferent. Teams will out run us and look fitter, and we’ll still be struggling for pace in the side. Fans will get his on his back because results aren’t great and the football is poor and Mellon (with half a squad of his own signings) will be blaming everything but himself. 

Bookmark me on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Eh? I never said that.

You’ve literally made that one up. 

I said - ‘why would players (plural but not individual or everybody) he’s effectively (as in might as well have) called shit start to play for him

If I could be arsed I’d give you the direct quotes where he said numerous times that many of the squad aren’t good enough, but there’s no point because you’ll ask me for more evidence or he might not mean what he says in the media. 

I saw your other reply, where you found the pissboil funny. I think you’re anti pissboil- nothing is much of a concern because it’s all part of an abstract bigger picture that no one really knows about because the club don’t communicate. 

This is what will happen, and if I’m wrong I will hold my hand up. 

We’ll get rid of a few in contract and Mellon will sign 6-8. (If not more)  The majority will be older players. Next season the football won’t change. We’ll grind, results will be indifferent. Teams will out run us and look fitter, and we’ll still be struggling for pace in the side. Fans will get his on his back because results aren’t great and the football is poor and Mellon (with half a squad of his own signings) will be blaming everything but himself. 

Bookmark me on it. 

Yeah I've read that prediction elsewhere. I've no desire to bookmark anything. I'm sure if that happens you'll be the first to point to it!

But to go back to my response, I don't understand the point you're making then. You said "Even if half the squad can be changed he’s still got a half squad he’s said numerous times isn’t good enough". I took that to mean you saying he's called all the players not good enough. If that's not what you meant then I don't know what you did mean.

You can call a collective thing shit, but not mean that each individual is shit. Hawaiian pizzas are shit, but I don't mean every ingredient is shit in itself.

4 hours ago, True Tic said:

What does the budget comprise of? I thought it was a five year plan or something , there must be funds available 

4 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nah, not having it. We'll be spending again...

We’ll see based on length of contracts he offers to those out of contract players. If it’s two years or more, he sees them as long term. If it’s one year deals, he’s managing his budget and they’re likely to be back up options.

what I’m saying is, our budget will not extend to 9-10 quality signings IMO. I expect 4-5 to come in as players who will be earmarked as first choices. The rest will be lower cost options and I’d imagine some of those will probably be McGahey, Fondop et al.

11 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I expect 4-5 to come in as players who will be earmarked as first choices.

As long as they’re not like Conlon, Hammond, Dallas, Walker & Sachdev I’ll be fine with it….

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

But to go back to my response, I don't understand the point you're making then. You said "Even if half the squad can be changed he’s still got a half squad he’s said numerous times isn’t good enough". I took that to mean you saying he's called all the players not good enough. If that's not what you meant then I don't know what you did mean.

Next season- he will have in contract players that have played for him this season who he doesn’t rate. 

Kurt

Nuttall

Reid 

Shelton 

Ward

They are all low hanging fruit and the first to be shifted. Forget those, they haven’t played for us months and will never play for us again. He isn’t talking about them. 

He is talking about players in the actual team that he doesn’t rate, but can’t get rid of. He will need some of them next season. . . would you put it in for a manager who clearly doesn’t rate you and the only reason your here is because he had to get rid of a handful of other players who he really really didn’t rate. Will the players from this season who he doesn’t rate start talking to the new players when they’re not in the side. . . 

He has shot himself in the foot in my view, and it’s going to bite him on the arse. 

Mellon's comments.

"The way it is now, everybody that's here has got another year's contract so it's difficult because everything's pretty much tied up, everything's already been spent on the group that's here and the frustrating part is the group needs a lot of help and we won't have the ability to do anything about that, even with the outgoings"

I take it he means the contracted players who remain and there is no budget left, even if he gets rid of some?

"It wasn't a team that was flying at the top of the league, the manager unfortunately lost his job because the team wasn't performing for him, and it's all still here."

Players deliberately not performing for Unsworth and now doing the same for Mellon, so just not performing regardless?

"But I said weeks ago this needs major surgery and I said on game two when we played Fylde at Fylde, I said to people 'I think we're in trouble. I think I've taken over something here that could be in trouble, and I mean at the other end'."

The other end of what? Does he mean the Board?

"The owners of this football club and Darren Royle are absolutely fantastic, unbelievable people. People that I couldn't speak highly enough of. Absolutely terrific people. But this, what's been put together at the minute, isn't matching up to what needs to be done in order to win games of football at this level."

I'm sure he's having a go at the Board here.

He baffles me.

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah I've read that prediction elsewhere. I've no desire to bookmark anything. I'm sure if that happens you'll be the first to point to it!

You can call a collective thing shit, but not mean that each individual is shit. Hawaiian pizzas are shit, but I don't mean every ingredient is shit in itself.

A good example is Kitching. 

Not the same player since Christmas- I wonder why. 

He’s in contract. 

But while Mellon may not his attitude he has 5/6 other priorities to shift out first. 

So he needs him for next season, is Kitching going to go back to the pre Christmas player because he has a new left winger in front him. . . Not for me. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

A good example is Kitching. 

Not the same player since Christmas- I wonder why. 

He’s in contract. 

But while Mellon may not his attitude he has 5/6 other priorities to shift out first. 

So he needs him for next season, is Kitching going to go back to the pre Christmas player because he has a new left winger in front him. . . Not for me. 

To answer your question above and in relation to Kitching, how I’d react as a player would depend entirely on what he has said to me in private or to the squad in private, not what he’s said in a post match interview. 

• Like 2