• Release
  9. 9. Mike Fondop

• Retain
    • Release
  10. 10. Hallam Hope

• Retain
    • Release

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2024 at 12:55 PM

34 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I am too but it's not a personality contest. He missed seven matches because he wasn't professional enough. Fans love to see a committed player, but with Fondop it borders on reckless and stupidity. Four red cards over his two and bit seasons with us is fairly damning.

Bit harsh given he missed four matches because of a refereeing decision that was simply wrong

• Like 5

l expect all the outers to leave bc of some of the shite already on deals. resulting in teams further up the leagues. swooping for the likes of Cookson and Couto. or a lesser club for a short spell with less of the total wanker types in the stand, where they thrive.

again 🙄.

then those total wanker types in the stand go online and wonder why they did it elsewhere.

again 🙄.

I detect a certain apathy over the retained list, If most of those of play regularly season ticket sales and match days crowds will plummet 

Edited by BP1960

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

I detect a certain apathy over the retained list, If most those of play regularly crowds will plummet.

It's fine. We'll welcome them all back when it all eventually clicks and we turn into the National League's end of level boss. Fannies.

14 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I am too but it's not a personality contest. He missed seven matches because he wasn't professional enough. Fans love to see a committed player, but with Fondop it borders on reckless and stupidity. Four red cards over his two and bit seasons with us is fairly damning.

Can't argue with a word of that. The game where he got 2 yellow cards in the first 5 minutes I'd have driven him out of town myself. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Something like this is what I thought we were getting today - was the intention of what we've put out supposed to just confirm what we already know? 

The key part of communication is communicating. If we're being asked to fill in the blanks, then our statement hasn't done it's job. 

I know we fans have a reputation for moaning too much but come on, lads and lasses - basics...

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Something like this is what I thought we were getting today - was the intention of what we've put out supposed to just confirm what we already know? 

The key part of communication is communicating. If we're being asked to fill in the blanks, then our statement hasn't done it's job. 

I know we fans have a reputation for moaning too much but come on, lads and lasses - basics...

Seems to me as if we are waiting to see if we can get rid of some of the contracted players first. e.g. If we get rid of Nuttall/Reid/Willoughby we would offer Fondop a contract. Similarly if we get rid of Shelton/Ward we might offer Gardner one etc. They cant say that in any statement obviously.

• Like 1

The retained list could more accurately be described as the "under contract" list with the possible exception of Kofi Moore.

From those still under contract you might reasonable expect the club to make efforts to move on Shelton, Nuttall, Reid and Willoughby. You might add Dan Ward to that list.

As things stand we have 19 contracted professionals so Mellon and Brabin have some scope to bring players in and address the imbalances in the squad they identified. If they can move on the outcasts, even greater scope particularly as they're all presumably on pretty decent money.  

3 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Seems to me as if we are waiting to see if we can get rid of some of the contracted players first. e.g. If we get rid of Nuttall/Reid/Willoughby we would offer Fondop a contract. Similarly if we get rid of Shelton/Ward we might offer Gardner one etc. They cant say that in any statement obviously.

You might be onto something there. 

5 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

We might have to wait until August then.

6 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Hmmmmm...I don't think I would've put anything out then. Maybe a statement saying "we're working on a budget for next season as it stands and we won't be making any announcement with regards the Out of Contract players until that's finalised".

That statement is really bad. It’s like they are trying to piss fans off. I still reckon two or three of them will get deals. 

why not just say the ones we are definitely not keeping and the ones we are in talks with. 

1 minute ago, BradKnowles1 said:

That statement is really bad. It’s like they are trying to piss fans off. I still reckon two or three of them will get deals. 

why not just say the ones we are definitely not keeping and the ones we are in talks with. 

He says he wants as much wriggle room as he can, why would he keep any that he can let go with no issue? And who really cares if Mike Fondop or Harrison McGahey get a new contract or not?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

The statement is really bad and will piss people off if any of them do get new deals because then the statement contradicts itself. If there is no further updates and as the statement reads everyone has been released then I don’t see any issue with it. 

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He says he wants as much wriggle room as he can, why would he keep any that he can let go with no issue? And who really cares if Mike Fondop or Harrison McGahey get a new contract or not?

He said the budget was already taken up by players under contract. Doesn't mean he didn't want to keep some out of contract players but probably its a 1 out 1 in situation. Knowing our luck the players he may want to keep will have found new clubs by the time we get rid of some of the contracted players and if the budget is really tight, do you think we will find a striker much better than Fondop on less money than he was?

Edited by PeteG

Either way it's somewhat worrying. It does appear the budget has been shot and unless we can offload the biggest earners such as Norwood etc. we aren't going to bring anyone in of any real quality. I hope the season just gone wasn't our 1 and only proper shot at promotion.

It's been made pretty clear at the start of this thread that we all unanimously wanted a pretty large clear out. The statement doesn't say we've offered contracts to any of them. So really we are saying we are letting them go. People are looking to just get pissed off for no reason.

Perhaps it's just a case of we don't want to broadcast to everyone that we don't rate these players that's why we've no offered them a deal 

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

What's the confusion... Or am I missing something...?

"We would like to thank the players who depart this summer and we wish them well in their future careers."

Seems pretty straightforward to me?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

What's the confusion... Or am I missing something...?

"We would like to thank the players who depart this summer and we wish them well in their future careers."

Seems pretty straightforward to me?

The article is titled '2024 Retained Player List' and then states: "Following the conclusion of the 2023/24 season, Oldham Athletic can confirm the retained player list for the First Team."

In previous years the articles were called 'Retained & Released List' and there was a section that was simply titled 'Released'.  

On the other hand . . .

😕