Tony Philliskirk

The last I heard and this was about the start of the season, was the club had completed what they had to do and were satisfied, it had to be then passed onto the FA which also completed their part and again, where satisfied. (Hence why Tony can continue his work in the same/similar job role with another club).

What has happened since I do not know but its between the employer/employee and we may never know unless one of the parties tells.

Edited by underdog

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

It’s done. New guy is doing well. 

Wasn't done in a very nice way though was it and you have to give Tony credit for the way he's conducted himself throughout which is no surprise to many given the loyal nature of his service to us, it's a shame he never had a chance to part on his own terms but I'm sure every true fan would wish him all the best for the future, as for the new guy he will be out on his ear too very soon as I'm hearing the youth set up will be mothballed altogether as owner and manager don't see the benefit of it and would rather channel all the resources into the first team.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Wasn't done in a very nice way though was it and you have to give Tony credit for the way he's conducted himself throughout which is no surprise to many given the loyal nature of his service to us, it's a shame he never had a chance to part on his own terms but I'm sure every true fan would wish him all the best for the future, as for the new guy he will be out on his ear too very soon as I'm hearing the youth set up will be mothballed altogether as owner and manager don't see the benefit of it and would rather channel all the resources into the first team.

Interesting final comment. Sincerely hope that it’s just hearsay and not actually true 🤔

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm hearing the youth set up will be mothballed altogether as owner and manager don't see the benefit of it and would rather channel all the resources into the first team.

I would suspect that, rather than mothball the whole thing, they'd move from category 3 status to category 4. The likes of Hamer & Edmundson only joined the youth system at late stages (Hamer having stayed in grassroots & Edmundson having been at various other clubs). Jamie Stott (u9) and Joel Coleman (u13) had been around longer but the landscape around developing kids in our area is very different and, once cat 3 squads reach u16, there tends to be a cull with players being dropped in from cat 1 or 2 clubs to see who might get offered youth deals. There has been some money generated from selling young (u9-12) players but whether this is enough to fund the whole operation is a different matter.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I can echo the sentiment in the early part of this. 

The merits of the academy I am not qualified to comment on, I don’t know enough about it. I suspect at our level it is a very simple formula though. How much has it made/saved us financially? 

43 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I can echo the sentiment in the early part of this. 

The merits of the academy I am not qualified to comment on, I don’t know enough about it. I suspect at our level it is a very simple formula though. How much has it made/saved us financially? 

Majority of players that have come through, have come from bigger clubs academies when they reach 15/16. Would think if we don’t reach L1 this season we will get rid of the younger age groups. Had heard Bunn didn’t want the academy which is strange due to his background. AL I thought he liked it. Maybe wrong though. 

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Bit strange given how many yoof we've had on the bench recently - it was like a nursery on Saturday?

Sort of vindicates it in a way - the bench is full of teenagers beause we haven't been able to invest the necessary funds in a deep first team squad.

I think a decision to drop the younger age groups woudl be logical and understandable but a great shame and deeply regrettable at the same time.  That's modern football for you in a nutshell.

33 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Sort of vindicates it in a way - the bench is full of teenagers beause we haven't been able to invest the necessary funds in a deep first team squad.

I think a decision to drop the younger age groups woudl be logical and understandable but a great shame and deeply regrettable at the same time.  That's modern football for you in a nutshell.

Indeed it seems like the policy of the local Premier League clubs is to recruit youngsters from overseas at 15 or 16 as they become 'home-grown' for UEFA competitions by the time they get into the first team. (As an example despite it costing them £89 million to buy him back- Pogba is a 'home-grown' player for United). 

One lad I know who was in City's Academy for a few years was dropped due to issues affecting his performance that were not related to his ability. But he was at that age when those sort of issues appear. 

I think there are moral merits in keeping the Academy going at its current age levels but I don't think the financial merits are there any more. 

It may be wise to look at doing it in stages as it will give those involved time to assess. Williams who was on our bench for the cup tie was around the year before, minimum. * 

If we mothball too much we may miss out on someone like that but we can mothball some of the age groups and not miss out. 

*I'm sure those who know more will correct when he joined. 

As FB has stated, the Prem. clubs gobble up any young player they think may have a chance and pay the likes of us peanuts. The money and prospect of there kid going to a Prem. club for the parents is too much to turn down. The vast majority of them then either drop down the leagues or are lost to football altogether. It's a problem created by the greedy league and allowed by the FA and EFL to keep the greedy clubs happy. Huddersfield and Brentford have now dropped to cat. 4 academies.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

reported as being anti-English bullying.  good grief.

If it was an Englishman insulting the Welsh you can virtually guarantee it would be reported as such. 

So why not the other way round? 

(I'm part Welsh BTW) 

Reap what you sow.  

Ps. Bellamy is a Bell-end. His pseudo intellectual political rant on Skysports recently was embarrassingly simplistic and stupid.  

He’s a stupid and arrogant man.

Edited by kowenicki

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

If it was an Englishman insulting the Welsh you can virtually guarantee it would be reported as such. 

(I'm part Welsh BTW) 

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.  Meant how ridiculous it was that anyone (allegedly Bellamy in this case) would adopt a bullying stance on that premise. Bullying is horrible and if that's what he's been doing then he shouldn't be a youth coach.  But who knows.

Just now, rudemedic said:

(I'm part Welsh BTW) 

You see a lot of this in society. The Welsh on the whole seriously dislike the English (lived in Wales all my life) personally don’t understand it. Remember being in the local pub back home, England v Australia where on and several of the Welsh where dressed in Australia shirts looking for a reaction. 

Also went to another pub, group of 6 of us who wanted to watch England during the Euros and they just said we would never show England games in here. Weird because the pub essentially only trades due to the tourism from England. 

Weird mentality but hey ho