1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Nothing in football lasts long these days.

I don't know how old you are or how long you have watched latics. 

I have watched since 1976, Others longer than me.

Other than the Royle era and the odd cup upset its been pretty pants.

If you weren't witness to the Royle era i can tell you it was fantastic. 

I feel for the younger fan and sort of understand were you are coming from.

So onto now, any chance of something big, we should grasp because it might be a long time before something similar comes along, if ever.

If it doesn't work, so what, at least we gave it a shot.

I saw the end of the royle years, it wasn’t fun. Since then it’s been a downward depressing spiral! Your last point is true, let’s at least try. Let’s face it, it can’t get any worse ! Literally it can’t, even going down again is almost cert if we don’t try and stop the rot

14 hours ago, steveecky said:

I’m struggling to understand this apparent blind optimism that a manager who is not yet confirmed will transform the club’s fortune despite having no pedigree as a coach, let alone as a manager.  If PS takes the job I wish only the best for him and the club as a fan, I’m just more cautious. And as for the apparent cost of the appointment, if true it’s ludicrous ! If there’s that amount of money available then it could be spent on better players who could produce results on the pitch.

You mean players like Menig with pedigree? Who was on a reported 11k a week but you'd begrudge paying one of the highest profile ex-players in the country the going rate?

Part of the problem this club has had particularly in our relegation season was the tail wagging the dog, players on 5, 6, 8 or 10k holding all the power, controlling the dressing room and dictating which direction the club goes in, all whilst a succession of managers on £800 a week lose the dressing room, what other walk of life sees the manager on a 10nth of one of his subordinates earn?

I know some of the problems from last season are down to AL's controlling manner something he promised he'd change but the only way I can see an end to some of this behaviour is by appointing a coach of Scholes standing, under this chairman it's the only hope and Scholes has to be given complete control over the playing side of the club if we've got any chance of moving forward. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

You mean players like Menig with pedigree? Who was on a reported 11k a week but you'd begrudge paying one of the highest profile ex-players in the country the going rate?

Part of the problem this club has had particularly in our relegation season was the tail wagging the dog, players on 5, 6, 8 or 10k holding all the power, controlling the dressing room and dictating which direction the club goes in, all whilst a succession of managers on £800 a week lose the dressing room, what other walk of life sees the manager on a 10nth of one of his subordinates earn?

I know some of the problems from last season are down to AL's controlling manner something he promised he'd change but the only way I can see an end to some of this behaviour is by appointing a coach of Scholes standing, under this chairman it's the only hope and Scholes has to be given complete control over the playing side of the club if we've got any chance of moving forward. 

Even if he gives him complete control of picking the team I would be amazed if he allows him complete control of transfer dealings. The transfers seem to come from him, his players, often foreign ones. 

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

Even if he gives him complete control of picking the team I would be amazed if he allows him complete control of transfer dealings. The transfers seem to come from him, his players, often foreign ones. 

I agree and I suspect part of any Scholes deal will include a joint agreement with regards to future transfers. It's okay a chairman having an input along with a Sporting Director but they have to start trusting people to do their jobs otherwise he might as well as appoint himself as manager.

15 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Nothing in football lasts long these days.

I don't know how old you are or how long you have watched latics. 

I have watched since 1976, Others longer than me.

Other than the Royle era and the odd cup upset its been pretty pants.

If you weren't witness to the Royle era i can tell you it was fantastic. 

I feel for the younger fan and sort of understand were you are coming from.

So onto now, any chance of something big, we should grasp because it might be a long time before something similar comes along, if ever.

If it doesn't work, so what, at least we gave it a shot.

My Dad who’s been watching Latics since the 50’s told me during the ‘pinch me’ era to go and watch them everywhere because we’d been dreadful virtually all his life and it wouldn’t last😂

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree and I suspect part of any Scholes deal will include a joint agreement with regards to future transfers. It's okay a chairman having an input along with a Sporting Director but they have to start trusting people to do their jobs otherwise he might as well as appoint himself as manager.

Im still waiting to see owner  in the technical area in a pair of Puma Kings 😂🙈 #FullKitW#@£er 

Edited by Paul

39 minutes ago, Paul said:

I don’t want the manager to have complete control of transfer dealings. No way.  Nor should anyone else with the club at heart. Managers are more transient than players. It make no sense. I thought almost all clubs had woken up to this by now? 

Edited by kowenicki

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I don’t want the manager to have complete control of transfer dealings. No way.  Nor should anyone else with the club at heart. Managers are more transient than players. It make no sense. I thought almost all clubs had woken up to this by now? 

its too much owner based at the moment though, that is my concern. I’m not saying a manager should get everything his own way but he should have a very big say in who comes in and who goes out as it’s his neck on the line, his team to pick and work with and his reputation that’s judged. 

Edited by Paul

but you'd begrudge paying one of the highest profile ex-players in the country the going rate?

Since when was £300,00 a year the going rate in a skint Lge 2 football club?

The amount of money you earn does equate to the power you control in the dressing room. It may contribute to disharmony admittedly. We just had crap managers.

For the last highlighted bit-probably politics, don't some civil servants earn more than ministers? What a good job they are doing for us at the moment.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

It would help if the sporting director had a little more credentials than being the owners brother 

24 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

So would we all agree that the recruitment of players needs to be a collective decision between Owner, Head Coach and Sporting Director?

In a way, yes.

It's ok for the owner to bring players from abroad for the manager/coach to assess, but it's up to the manager to give the go ahead to sign them. If he doesn't want them, for whatever reason, then they don't get signed.

Players the manager wants need to be ok'd by the owner ensuring the club can afford them. The manager should be the person speaking to the player, trying to convince him to join the club. Discussions on wages should probably be between the sporting director/advisor and the players agent.

5 minutes ago, al_bro said:

In a way, yes.

It's ok for the owner to bring players from abroad for the manager/coach to assess, but it's up to the manager to give the go ahead to sign them. If he doesn't want them, for whatever reason, then they don't get signed.

Players the manager wants need to be ok'd by the owner ensuring the club can afford them. The manager should be the person speaking to the player, trying to convince him to join the club. Discussions on wages should probably be between the sporting director/advisor and the players agent.

So let's just say they that all 3 had a veto option in a signing then thats do able.

However what's most important is all 3 are singing of the same hymn sheet and want the right type of player to join the club.