Mansfield (H) Tuesday

54 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

He seemed a bit rusty but even then he made a crucial block at 1-0 that almost certainly prevented a goal. After that he was a lot less rusty. 7/10 for the whole 90 and 9/10 after we went 1-0 up. 

Based on that one showing Iacovitti isn't getting back in the team unless Dino is told to pick him. 

Cheers 👍

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I’ll whisper this in here and then duck down behind the wall, but weren’t our two best players last night (Sylla and Missilou) both AL/ML signings? 😬

They played well but what I think Issue is the 1000 players they have brought in who are crap.

4 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I’ll whisper this in here and then duck down behind the wall, but weren’t our two best players last night (Sylla and Missilou) both AL/ML signings? 😬

If I threw a hundred darts I'd probably hit triple twenty a couple of times

16 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Just the year, and 18 months, respectively to have a good game. Let's hope they can sustain it...

Some of AL's signings are good footballers individually (Missilou, Neppomeceno, Maouche on very rare occasions..) but they just haven't worked as a team.

The issue is the fact that AL has obviously forced his players onto the manager.  Moimbe directly cost us our place in the division above and I doubt even Dino really thinks Azankpo is anywhere near good enough to start every week.

Throw into the mix the money we've spent on contracts of players most of who's names I can't even remember and it's set us back as a team and financially as a club.

However, there were the first signs last night that it was all starting to gel.  Nothing to get too excited about, but encouraging none-the-less...

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Some of AL's signings are good footballers individually (Missilou, Neppomeceno, Maouche on very rare occasions..) but they just haven't worked as a team.

The issue is the fact that AL has obviously forced his players onto the manager.  Moimbe directly cost us our place in the division above and I doubt even Dino really thinks Azankpo is anywhere near good enough to start every week.

Throw into the mix the money we've spent on contracts of players most of who's names I can't even remember and it's set us back as a team and financially as a club.

However, there were the first signs last night that it was all starting to gel.  Nothing to get too excited about, but encouraging none-the-less...

The frustration is that if we'd adopted the strategy properly and sourced quality players and improved them we'd be flyig by now.

36 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Moimbe in no way cost us relegation. He was a good player. And that one penalty he gave away doesn't mean he cost us. The team cost us. The manager cost us by going away to our only relegation rivals rochdale and playing for a 0-0 and the team cost us by failing to get an extra point over the last ten games

My thoughts as I paid double the entry fee to watch it in my living room...

It was the first time we've scored 2 in a game since 26th December.  And the first time we've scored 3 in a game since Dino's first match on 21st September.  Only 2nd time we've scored 3 in the league this season.  Those stats tell a story about the season so far!

For the first time in ages we seemed to put a team out intent on attacking the opposition.  The attacking 4 were all threats for different reasons, which meant they couldn't just nullify us easily as other teams have done.  Both wingers were able to go forward and not seeminly worry about covering their full backs.  I thought Rowe was excellent.  It's really interesting to watch him drop deep, it's clearly his way of finding space, and how that gave problems to their defence and midfield - who picks him up?  Dearnley was direct and the wingers both had very good games.  Centrally we were solid too.

I thought CBJ started shaky but grew into the game and will hopefully be the answer to our left back issues.  All in all, lots to be positive about.  I thought Mansfield were poor, so it will be interesting to see how that team fares against better opposition.  And also how McCann will come back into it.  I was a bit disappointed we didn't keep the foot on the gas and bring Wilson on for Dearnley to see how he' do in a system that may have suited him better rather than being on the wing or up front alone.  We lost our way a bit after that.

A glimmer of hope for the season.  Lets see if we can kick on.

3 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Moimbe in no way cost us relegation. He was a good player. And that one penalty he gave away doesn't mean he cost us. The team cost us. The manager cost us by going away to our only relegation rivals rochdale and playing for a 0-0 and the team cost us by failing to get an extra point over the last ten games

Meh - If Moimbe hadn't pulled Tom Eaves' hair we'd have stayed up.

The manager only cost us if we know for a fact he had full control over the team.

4 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

You may as well claim that Mark Hughes was just a minor factor in our relegation from the Premiership 

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The manager only cost us if we know for a fact he had full control over the team.

He did. And if he didnt then i think wed all agree that our best players, some better than we have had for years, were all playing 

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If Eaves had been bald we'd have stayed up.

53 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Give the free kick away at Northampton on the last game of season which lead to a goal I blame him and Placide

42 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Also made numerous goal line clearances in other games preventing defeat

for me that was the point where we went down as there was no need to do it. those 2 extra points and win morale would have likley kept us up. he was a good player, but like a lot in that team there was more than enough ability just not any spirit or team which comes down to behind the scenes management from AL and wellens

some of the AL signings have been good but a lot are poor and some not even pro standard which is the worst thing. i just hope they have learned and will continue this recent approach as we finally have a decent lg 2 team if all are fit. 

9 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

for me that was the point where we went down as there was no need to do it. those 2 extra points and win morale would have likley kept us up. he was a good player, but like a lot in that team there was more than enough ability just not any spirit or team which comes down to behind the scenes management from AL and wellens

some of the AL signings have been good but a lot are poor and some not even pro standard which is the worst thing. i just hope they have learned and will continue this recent approach as we finally have a decent lg 2 team if all are fit. 

What still sticks in my memory was the way the team (apart from Hamer and Edmundson) didn’t seem to want to go for the win at Northampton when we got back to 2-2. There was 35 minutes left in the game (plus 8 additional minutes) and we managed 3 further attempts on goal with a forward line that comprised Doyle, Nazon, Davies, Holloway,& Byrne. It was almost as if they just expected Rochdale to fail and so didn’t bother.

Bitter? Me? Nah...

Before we were relegated we hadn't finished higher than 15th since 2009. Writing was on the wall for ages; how many times had we avoided the drop in those seasons? Not fair blaming a player for an error. Wasn't it JR after all who said we just have to score more goals than the opposition? Speaks for itself...

Anyway, really positive result and a solid-looking squad. Interested to see how we fair against better opposition but feel happy we'll avoid relegation this season. Always refreshing to see Latics play some proper football.

As happy as I am with the result, we beat a bottom-half side who were lower than us. It was our first win in 7 games and Mansfield sounded poor. Sounds like a dampener but the same happened after Morecambe away; suddenly we were on par with Liverpool. Let's see how we do versus Bradford now.

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The formation reminded me of Big Joe's in the 1990s (with lesser players of course) Solid keeper, strong back 4, 2 yard dog central midfielders, 2 out and out wingers, and a dangerous looking front 2.

Hopefully we can build on this now with more good results.

The wave of hope and optimism when we went three goals in front certainly did remind me of those days.

Others have commented on the back four, much better, David Wheater and Pidge together look good, Tom gave everything again and took his goal well.

Chris Missilou was outstanding, had rough treatment but ran the show, definitely Man of the Match.

With Nepo on the wing we were far more threatening, kept the shape for most of the game and Danny Rowe is certainly creating space for others, great signing, shame he didn't have more balls to feet.

I do still think Chris McCann is a class act and should be in the team, but after that performance, nobody will be expecting to lose their place.

Keep it going.

31 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

The wave of hope and optimism when we went three goals in front certainly did remind me of those days.

Others have commented on the back four, much better, David Wheater and Pidge together look good, Tom gave everything again and took his goal well.

Chris Missilou was outstanding, had rough treatment but ran the show, definitely Man of the Match.

With Nepo on the wing we were far more threatening, kept the shape for most of the game and Danny Rowe is certainly creating space for others, great signing, shame he didn't have more balls to feet.

I do still think Chris McCann is a class act and should be in the team, but after that performance, nobody will be expecting to lose their place.

Keep it going.

Would agree with all that but thought Sylla shaded MOM as Missalou overplayed quite a few times.

Missed putting Dearnley through second half and ignored the easy option a few times in the first which marred an excellent performance.

19 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Would agree with all that but thought Sylla shaded MOM as Missalou overplayed quite a few times.

Missed putting Dearnley through second half and ignored the easy option a few times in the first which marred an excellent performance.

Missilou has a bad habit of taking too many touches at times. If he could sort that out we'd have a proper player.

Archived