Season suspended until April 30th

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

why not?

I thought companies had to apply for approval and so far 140,000 had done so. Is keeping footballers employed something we tax payers should be funding? Many people may not, but they probably will get approval.

A couple of things for me

How many loanees do we have? Parent club usually pays the wage then invoices our club

Are PFA now involved

Paying staff was one of the key marker questions FSA would indicate if club is in trouble

Trust rep vote. I will presume this was voted on at club board level. How did the trust rep vote and was relayed to Trust board aswell....bearing in mind rep was not alledgedly advised of march HMRC and staff wages then. Trust meeting was monday this week

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not if you're like me and have bought 5 pairs of trainers since the lockdown started. 😬

...or an obscene amount of music. The telly and the car would go before the vinyl.

Wife: "Can't you get something other than 70's Brazilian funk jazz albums?"

Me: *types Weather Report in discogs*

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

I thought companies had to apply for approval and so far 140,000 had done so. Is keeping footballers employed something we tax payers should be funding? Many people may not, but they probably will get approval.

I don’t think we’re going down the route of deciding which profession is deserving. They’re still workers at the end of the day.

I agree with midsblue... mortgage should be the big differentiator between high and mid/low earners when it comes to monthly commitments. They can go on a payment holiday for that. 

I think the club are doing the right thing here (can’t remember the last time I said that!)

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

I don't see why not.  They are no more non-essential than someone working in, say. a non-food shop

If it is true the players are "fuming' then feck them!! I lost my job at the start of this debacle so surviving on £0 per month so would be delighted to have £2500k. They should have been furloghed weeks ago. 

They really don't get it do they? And the utter scumbags in the Premier league are a million times worse, literally of course

I have cancelled my sky sports and will drop sky completely when my contract ends

Not sure I will bother with football after this tbh.

... and frankly, if they don't want to be furloughed then make the lot of them redundant.... it won't be hard to find 20 decent players better than this lot for next season whenever that is

54 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

If it is true the players are "fuming' then feck them!! I lost my job at the start of this debacle so surviving on £0 per month so would be delighted to have £2500k. They should have been furloghed weeks ago. 

They really don't get it do they? And the utter scumbags in the Premier league are a million times worse, literally of course

I have cancelled my sky sports and will drop sky completely when my contract ends

... and frankly, if they don't want to be furloughed then make the lot of them redundant.... it won't be hard to find 20 decent players better than this lot for next season whenever that is

Sorry to hear that you lost your job.
Was it because of the Covid-19 outbreak and if so, can your ex firm take you back on and furlough you?

I'm lucky that my employers are telling me to stay away and will pay me.
How long that will last is anyone's guess.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Sorry to hear this.

Its going to be tough in many ways and a different world i hope for the better, afterwards.

Stay safe

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

I thought the 140,000 were companies who knew they were eligible and had applied by 4pm on the first day for the money. We were put on furlough the day after Bojo announced lockdown and I've a letter dated 8th April explaining how the 80% of salary I'm going to get is guaranteed for employees of my company under the governments furlough scheme so I'd be getting 80% of said salary at the end of April.

15 hours ago, al_bro said:

You could say the same for other occupations, should the tax payers be keeping people who work in McDonalds or at the local cinema employed? not exactly essential in the grand scheme of life but these industries keep people employed, paying into the system and keeping the economy going as do football clubs. If furloughing a playing squad of league 2 players means that there are jobs available for the non-playing staff when we come out of this then it is a good thing surely?

Also are football players not tax payers? They have paid into the system and if the alternative is loosing their job or getting something back then needs must. The senior pro's need to have a bit of a reality check here if you ask me. They have been used to a privileged way of life and at times like this it highlights how unimportant that they really are. 

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Maybe it's 6 players who are on around £90k a year?

"Oldham players have been left fuming after being effectively told to accept pay cuts worth up to 65 per cent or be made redundant."

MailOnline

Let's assume that at some point in say the next four months the season gets finished by playing matches behind closed doors.

How would you go about starting a new season?  It's blindingly obvious that mass gatherings are going to be off the agenda for a much longer period of time so do you start a new season behind closed doors?  How long is that sustainable for?  It's unlikely to make compelling viewing at any level of professional sport and how it would be funded is a complete mystery.  

For lower division clubs no gate income and minimal sponsorship income.  For top level subscriptions to TV are likely to fall off a cliff.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Let's assume that at some point in say the next four months the season gets finished by playing matches behind closed doors.

How would you go about starting a new season?  It's blindingly obvious that mass gatherings are going to be off the agenda for a much longer period of time so do you start a new season behind closed doors?  How long is that sustainable for?  It's unlikely to make compelling viewing at any level of professional sport and how it would be funded is a complete mystery.  

For lower division clubs no gate income and minimal sponsorship income.  For top level subscriptions to TV are likely to fall off a cliff.

I don't see how a new season can start behind closed doors at our level. There's a compelling argument for completing this season behind closed doors for the integrity of the competition but there's no way we can start a new campaign until crowds are allowed in.

1 minute ago, jsslatic said:

I don't see how a new season can start behind closed doors at our level. There's a compelling argument for completing this season behind closed doors for the integrity of the competition but there's no way we can start a new campaign until crowds are allowed in.

Agreed.  Can't see it being this year.

24 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

My view exactly.

I cannot see any chance of crowds being allowed for the remainder of 2020 ....at the very least.

Cheltenham  , Liverpool  v Ath Madrid , Rangers v Leverkusen and the other sports that took place in Mid March have been torn to shreds in the media for going ahead.

We currently have queues to go in some shops and you can't go to a garden centre.

It is a long way from this to allowing a crowd at a football match.

Our ground is half empty , but the Premier League games are full. Do you let them all attend . If not how do you decide who are the chosen few .

Other than the money lost , I doubt many of the 600 + MP's regard sport as anywhere close to being a priority.

The governing bodies can plan all they want , there is zero chance of any football being allowed until September in my opinion. 

They are terrified of giving the go ahead and the headlines if the virus casualties spike again.

Difficult to see the future for clubs like ours , no money , constant negative media stories and an unlimited , unknown shutdown.

The longer it goes on another factor will appear ....... not going to football can become just as much the norm as going to football.

Archived