New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been given a glowing reference by Tony Philliskirk who has loads of experience at this level and has worked with a fair few managers in his time at Latics....he wouldn't have been my 1st choice but if he's good enough for Philliskirk he's good enough for me!

What has he done that is so bad?

It's probably not very fair to judge him on the basis of results - which have been pretty poor - but the style of football has been shocking from the games I've seen, and that's from a side that we know can play a bit, and the goals have dried up as well.

It's as much that we've got a core squad to build on, if we can retain them, yet this feels like a step backwards. Another rookie who needs to learn the game again when the club needs somebody who can step in and deliver a buzz and might be more ready to deliver immediate results.

It's probably not very fair to judge him on the basis of results - which have been pretty poor - but the style of football has been shocking from the games I've seen, and that's from a side that we know can play a bit, and the goals have dried up as well.

It's as much that we've got a core squad to build on, if we can retain them, yet this feels like a step backwards. Another rookie who needs to learn the game again when the club needs somebody who can step in and deliver a buzz and might be more ready to deliver immediate results.

This ^

I did miss Dale and Bristol City though. However Crewe, Coventry, Chesterfield, Crawley and Yeovil were shocking

13 points from 13 games is relegation form.

10 points from 9 since he got the gig to the end of the season (with assistance from TP). Would just about be enough for survival. Achieved this with a horrendous injury list & blooding youngsters who will become sellable assets for the club.

We've given the champions and Sheff Utd a good game, smashed Rochdale, dug out two important away wins.

Coleman and Turner given extended runs, Gerrard one of the better loan signings of recent times.

All against the backdrop of the Evans saga and the manager being given the green light to walk out to a rival at a crucial point of the season.

He's done alright.

He's the polar opposite of Johnson.

Managed a long career at numerous clubs without relying on his dad for appearance money.

Doesn't rely on buzz words when being interviewed.

Gives the young players a chance rather than bullying them.

Doesn't have an ego bigger than the club.

Popular with the players and staff.

I think he's worth a go personally.

We've given the champions and Sheff Utd a good game, smashed Rochdale, dug out two important away wins.

Coleman and Turner given extended runs, Gerrard one of the better loan signings of recent times.

All against the backdrop of the Evans saga and the manager being given the green light to walk out to a rival at a crucial point of the season.

He's done alright.

13 points from 13 games is a very poor return. The performances have been woeful most games we have been battered and rarely have had a shot. Port vale Crawley Coventry Yeovil Chesterfield all very poor games never mind The Barnsley and Preston game. He's just a poor mans Lee Johnson, the same tactics, the same philosophies and most of all not being able to make a sub at the right time. I dread to think what transfer activity we will have over the summer. I can't wait for us to sign Fabian Brandy...

He's the polar opposite of Johnson.

Managed a long career at numerous clubs without relying on his dad for appearance money.

Doesn't rely on buzz words when being interviewed.

Gives the young players a chance rather than bullying them.

Doesn't have an ego bigger than the club.

Popular with the players and staff.

I think he's worth a go personally.

I like Holden but I think giving him the gig permanently will be a mistake.

And I think emotion is clouding your analysis of Johnson somewhat.

13 points from 13 games is a very poor return. The performances have been woeful most games we have been battered and rarely have had a shot. Port vale Crawley Coventry Yeovil Chesterfield all very poor games never mind The Barnsley and Preston game. He's just a poor mans Lee Johnson, the same tactics, the same philosophies and most of all not being able to make a sub at the right time. I dread to think what transfer activity we will have over the summer. I can't wait for us to sign Fabian Brandy...

Again, it was 16 points in the previous 13 and an FA Cup defeat, all with a pretty settled team, nobody was calling Johnson out for that run

Again, it was 16 points in the previous 13 and an FA Cup defeat, all with a pretty settled team, nobody was calling Johnson out for that run

Actually there were seeds of discontent. Granted it was not a majority, but there were a number that were unhappy.

SC said he would be delighted if Dean Holden gave him a problem.

I don't think he has done enough to give him a problem. But in the context of a terrible set of injuries, stopping the freefall, guiding us to safety, bringing on a youngster or two, a couple of astute loan signings, some good performances (albeit some shockers) he has done enough to give SC something to think about.

But we were in and around the play offs always being that win away from it. Look at us now 3 points off our usual position of 16th.

By the same token we are 3 points from the heady heights of 12th or even Joint 9th on goal difference...