OEC & Chaddy End Changes

Is it not possible that we switch ends again once the Chaddy End is meant to be refurbished (obviously that's a big if/when)?

Sort of see this as a temporary move for the time being (a holiday if you will).

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not one paying supporter would have been lost had they made the RRE away fans only again, which it has been for most of our history.

I fear a few hundred Chaddy Enders will be lost with this totally uneccessary decision.

Long standing Chaddy Enders & Main Standers have stood/sat in the same spot or seat, with or near the same people, for years and their parents and even grandparents before them.

You don't :censored: about with that type of "customer".

Especially for so little potential gain.

In fact, what do the club stand to gain here?

I don't see anything other than maybe slightly louder singing, but won't the main singers want to be in the New Stand next to the away fans?

And this Family Area in the small section of the RRE - for two years kids have been watching this fantastic new stand go up. Imagine the conversations in August

"are we going in the New Stand dad?"

"err, no"

"why not?"

"season tickets are still cheaper in the Family Section"

"oh, so we're staying in the Chaddy End? Same seats?"

"Err, no"

"Well where then?"

"You know that small section of the away end?......"

You are obviously personally upset by this and aren't too interested in what's best for the club as a whole. You give me the impression of a dog running round after it's own tail and you appear to have run up your own arse with this post. I can't wait for next season, an atmosphere like Brentford last season, or better, every game.

My first game was in the Chadderton Road End in November 1986. I spent my first 5 seasons in there. There was nothing like it, it was an explosion to the senses - the mix of bovril, meat and potato pie and tobacco smoke. The roar before the game, the roar when we scored. The bog rolls being thrown at opposition goalkeepers. The crush when the crowd was shoe horned in for a big game. Clinging on for dear life to the fence at the front and post Hillsborough sitting on the bar at the front during the Championship season. The Chaddy End WAS Latics in those first five years.

I loved going in there, first with my dad, then later my mates. I loved the funny squeaky guy at the back, the tea trollies coming round the pitch and shooting downhill into the Chaddy in the second half. I got my first up close glimpses of Andy Goram, Tonmy Wright at al at the Chaddy End. I learned the songs and match day etiquette of giving the opposition goalie as much grief as possible but also to grudgingly respect moments of brilliance from the same player.

Then a combination of success and the consequences of Hillsborough saw the Chaddy End become all seated. It was ST Holder only for the best part of 3 seasons meaning I didn't go in there until after relegation back to the football league so between May 1991 and October 1994 I led a nomadic existence between the RRE, Main Stand Paddocks and Lookers Paddocks. It didn't alter the fact I still got to see my team every week and the view to be fair was far better. When I did go back into the CRE on that wet October afternoon, it wasn't the same. Sitting seemed alien, the atmosphere was flat (ok, we were still suffering the hangover of relegation but it wasn't the same. The buzz wasn't there, the characters had changed, even the sensory experience was far removed from that of my first few years. We get older yes, but for me the Chaddy End experience died with promotion and the progression of an all seated stand. The facilities were supposedly better and to be fair in the first few years they were - but at the expense of the heart beat of the CRE match day experience.

I continued to go in the Lookers Paddock for a number of years before moving back in there with a bunch of mates in the late 90s until the end of Dowie's Play Off season. More often than not my Season Ticket choice would be down to where my dad wanted to sit too. Becoming a mature student in the middle of the last decade saw me prefer the cheaper but better view back in the Lookers Paddock and I was disappointed when the decision was taken to demolish the stand in 2008. I tried the RRE for a season but I preferred standing on there back in the early 90s, the RRE experience still feels alien. I went back in the Chaddy End for a season before relocating again for a season or two in the Main Stand Paddock, the view was great, the whingeing pensioner wasn't. So this year it was back into the Chaddy End, but with the dawn of the Athleticos the whole Chaddy End experience feels like a youngsters game. I prefer the side view these days and I will be going back 'Home' to the Broadway Stand in 2015/16. The Chaddy End will always be my spiritual home as that's where I always stood as a kid with my dad, but in truth it hasn't felt like home for nearly 25 years despite spending 11 of those seasons in there.

I can appreciate how disappointed some people are in having to move next season and in truth I'd probably move away fans into the Main Stand Paddocks, logistically though I can see that being a nightmare. I can see initially many refusing to attend, but with the dawn of the new stand we have a facility the club can be proud of. The previous improvements smack of being done on the cheap, thus the Chaddy End looking so tatty, The RRE hasn't aged well either and the Main Stand looks like a stiff breeze may well take it out.

Sadly, there is no room for sentiment in modern football, we have to move with the times. We accuse the club of backward thinking but for me they have got this spot on. We have looked back for too long, let's look forward and for once embrace change....after-all we support the club not a blue plastic seat!

Yet again, what is the point in the Trust if you, and the supporters you represent, aren't openly consulted on a decision like this?

TBH I had to think as a fan was I asked? Then someone on another thread remembered an club online survey in March. I can't remember all the questions though but I did complete it.

It was a club survey and a club decision, the trust is there to ensure the survival of OAFC. Fans match day experience if this covers it, is the responsibility of the fans liaison officer which is Jenny Warburton.

please feel free to contact Jenny with regards to the consultation and reasoning behind the decision

Thanks

My first game was in the Chadderton Road End in November 1986. I spent my first 5 seasons in there. There was nothing like it, it was an explosion to the senses - the mix of bovril, meat and potato pie and tobacco smoke. The roar before the game, the roar when we scored. The bog rolls being thrown at opposition goalkeepers. The crush when the crowd was shoe horned in for a big game. Clinging on for dear life to the fence at the front and post Hillsborough sitting on the bar at the front during the Championship season. The Chaddy End WAS Latics in those first five years.

I loved going in there, first with my dad, then later my mates. I loved the funny squeaky guy at the back, the tea trollies coming round the pitch and shooting downhill into the Chaddy in the second half. I got my first up close glimpses of Andy Goram, Tonmy Wright at al at the Chaddy End. I learned the songs and match day etiquette of giving the opposition goalie as much grief as possible but also to grudgingly respect moments of brilliance from the same player.

Then a combination of success and the consequences of Hillsborough saw the Chaddy End become all seated. It was ST Holder only for the best part of 3 seasons meaning I didn't go in there until after relegation back to the football league so between May 1991 and October 1994 I led a nomadic existence between the RRE, Main Stand Paddocks and Lookers Paddocks. It didn't alter the fact I still got to see my team every week and the view to be fair was far better. When I did go back into the CRE on that wet October afternoon, it wasn't the same. Sitting seemed alien, the atmosphere was flat (ok, we were still suffering the hangover of relegation but it wasn't the same. The buzz wasn't there, the characters had changed, even the sensory experience was far removed from that of my first few years. We get older yes, but for me the Chaddy End experience died with promotion and the progression of an all seated stand. The facilities were supposedly better and to be fair in the first few years they were - but at the expense of the heart beat of the CRE match day experience.

I continued to go in the Lookers Paddock for a number of years before moving back in there with a bunch of mates in the late 90s until the end of Dowie's Play Off season. More often than not my Season Ticket choice would be down to where my dad wanted to sit too. Becoming a mature student in the middle of the last decade saw me prefer the cheaper but better view back in the Lookers Paddock and I was disappointed when the decision was taken to demolish the stand in 2008. I tried the RRE for a season but I preferred standing on there back in the early 90s, the RRE experience still feels alien. I went back in the Chaddy End for a season before relocating again for a season or two in the Main Stand Paddock, the view was great, the whingeing pensioner wasn't. So this year it was back into the Chaddy End, but with the dawn of the Athleticos the whole Chaddy End experience feels like a youngsters game. I prefer the side view these days and I will be going back 'Home' to the Broadway Stand in 2015/16. The Chaddy End will always be my spiritual home as that's where I always stood as a kid with my dad, but in truth it hasn't felt like home for nearly 25 years despite spending 11 of those seasons in there.

I can appreciate how disappointed some people are in having to move next season and in truth I'd probably move away fans into the Main Stand Paddocks, logistically though I can see that being a nightmare. I can see initially many refusing to attend, but with the dawn of the new stand we have a facility the club can be proud of. The previous improvements smack of being done on the cheap, thus the Chaddy End looking so tatty, The RRE hasn't aged well either and the Main Stand looks like a stiff breeze may well take it out.

Sadly, there is no room for sentiment in modern football, we have to move with the times. We accuse the club of backward thinking but for me they have got this spot on. We have looked back for too long, let's look forward and for once embrace change....after-all we support the club not a blue plastic seat!

Brilliant post. I can echo an awful lot of this. Bottom line... "The Chaddy End" died long ago. Lets start a new chapter.

One big factor that may have influenced the club, as much as the Chaddy having died a death, is the fact that the RRE has space behind it to do something with. The article says "It's not just the new stand that is benefitting from investment as we will also be upgrading the facilities in the existing three stands", and there is far greater scope to improve the RRE with that wide strip behind it.

The article doesn't mention which stands will be pay on the day. I'd like to know if there will remain two stands that are pay on the day for home supporters.

One big factor that may have influenced the club, as much as the Chaddy having died a death, is the fact that the RRE has space behind it to do something with. The article says "It's not just the new stand that is benefitting from investment as we will also be upgrading the facilities in the existing three stands", and there is far greater scope to improve the RRE with that wide strip behind it.

The article doesn't mention which stands will be pay on the day. I'd like to know if there will remain two stands that are pay on the day for home supporters.

Pretty sure it was in the original "Oldham Arena" plans to redevelop the back of the Rochdale Road End and enclose the concourse. Would make sense to do so in my opinion.

Which season ticket does that? The new stand at £450 only works out at £19.60 a game.

I'm guilty of misreading the application form.

On the discounted tickets it states a price per game next to the season ticket price.

On the full price tickets it doesn't. It states match admission prices.

1 2 3 4 listen to the north stand roar.

:censored: that. Might go watch Rochdale.

Haha, when was the last time the Chaddy roared!

The difference is that to Corney, and many of the younger fans that haven't seen the Chaddy with terracing, it isn't the fabled Oldham version of the Holte End, the Kop, Stretford End etc. that older fans see it as. It just doesn't have that attachment to a group of fans I think.

It's the Chaddy End hysterisis.

It just doesn't have the nostalgia or tradition to the newer generation of fan, which is why the club will always have the debate; between those who see it for what it used to be and those in the younger generation and older fans who see it for what it now is...

Edited by NewBlue

Maybe the last game of the season can be Chaddy End Day, everyone can go in and mourn its passing to away fans. Everyone can remember the memories of being in there and sing loudly. Peterborough might bring a few taxi loads so chances are the RRE will be moved there anyways.

Not one paying supporter would have been lost had they made the RRE away fans only again, which it has been for most of our history.

"

No it hasn't. I used to stand there with my Dad and my uncle when it wasn't segregated at all.

Welcome back, I for one have missed your considered and sensible posts.

If you really stop going because you can't sit in the chaddy then I really don't think you can say you are a fan of OAFC. You surely must be a fan of sitting in the chaddy at 3pm every other Saturday and the occasional weekday evening.

That's not to take anything from the past. The Chaddy will have provided a great deal of fantastic memories for many people. On a personal level I'll never forget a lot of days out in that stand. I had a season ticket in there for around ten years

However I think it's about time the club made the switch. There is no debate when it comes to the view and acoustics, the RRE is better and that can only hand a positive impact when it comes to attracting new fans, regardless of tradition. Time to move on to a new chapter.

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

Like many, i started in the chaddy, standing, then sitting.

Then I moved to the Lookers paddock, 'cos I was poor and could only afford the cheapest tickets.

After a few drenchings and pay rises I moved to the Lookers upper. Then it was demolished.

I went to the RRE 'cos the kids could get £50 STs and it was better than the chaddy.

Then the kids started working (at the club) so i move to the main stand where I had a similar view to the lookers upper.

I'll stay in the main stand, until it gets demolished. Then i'll watch from somewhere else. it's the club i support, not a stand.

You are obviously personally upset by this and aren't too interested in what's best for the club as a whole. You give me the impression of a dog running round after it's own tail and you appear to have run up your own arse with this post.

There's probably a gif for that.

You are obviously personally upset by this and aren't too interested in what's best for the club as a whole. You give me the impression of a dog running round after it's own tail and you appear to have run up your own arse with this post. I can't wait for next season, an atmosphere like Brentford last season, or better, every game.

Aah, that iconic Brentford game....

Yes, I am upset. I had some of the greatest times of my life in the Chaddy End.

I've moved all around the ground since the seats went in. Many haven't.

The club shouldnt treat some of their most loyal supporters, with massive emotional attachment to the stand & their particular seat, or area, so shoddily. Yet again.

Sadly, the fact many seemingly don't share or understand such strong emotions doesn't bode very well at all for the future of the club.

And in what way is this unnecessary move "best for the club as a whole"?

It doesn't make, or save, us any money as far as I can see but does piss a lot of people off. Unnecessarily.

Can't be arsed looking through all the posts so apologies if I am repeating something. .

Great move by the club, so many more options in the rre. Make the small section the family stand, stick an ice cream van and even a bouncy castle in for pre match entertainment (there's plenty of space)..

I know that there will be moaners (they call themselves traditionalists), but if this club wants to move forward things have to change. I don't get all the bull:censored: of people saying" I've sat in the chaddy for years and the people round me are like a family". Here's an idea get on your phone meet your 'family'outside b.p and go and look at some seats where you would like to sit together, it's not rocket science.

It seems from many posts that the RRE is going to become party zone central.

I would have thought that many existing Chaddy enders ( myself included) are going to try to relocate to the North stand.

Edited by archiecat

It seems from many posts that the RRE is going to become party zone central.

I would have thought that many existing Chaddy enders ( myself included) are going to try to relocate to the North stand.

And alot of the RRE's who were Lookers will be moving to the North Stand as they have first choice, like I said we'll only need the small section.