George Green

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also commented he didn't want to play at the higher level before saying that.

Maybe it's a case of the day to day of football isn't the fun he wanted and the idea of part time football whilst pursuing other interests as well as parenthood is more what he wants?

Think this is right. You have to be pretty dedicated, and you have to do the hard stuff as a professional. It can't be enjoyable all the time. Especially when we have been playing so poorly.

Care to elaborate

What do you mean? Have you listened to the interview?

It sounds like, despite having problems in his life, he's made a big decision for himself....

He doesn't come across as someone suffering mental illness as some have speculated he might be....

Edited by HarryBosch

What do you mean? Have you listened to the interview?

It sounds like, despite having problems in his life, he's made a big decision for himself....

He doesn't come across as someone suffering mental illness as some have speculated he might be....

With his comment about getting his registration back on Jan 1st, sounds like he just wanted out of the club and will be back at the highest bidder soon.

Very good.

We've heard many reasons for why he's left (most of which have been guesswork), and now some from the horses mouth - not one of those reasons has been mental illness.

Which is good. Isn't it?

I don't disagree. Just want to highlight the point that mental illness is not always evident in the way people speak, and even when it is it can be fleeting.

An excellent insight in to this is Stephen Fry's personal account with Manic Depression (YouTube / Wiki).

• 1 month later...

Guardian interview/story on Green

Notable tidbits:

- claims his problems aren't drink and drug-related

- claims the club didn't understand him (implies poor man management)

- was on £1,000pw at Latics

Of course it's possible that not all of the above statements are true.

'If a manager shouts at me, I won’t respond. I’ll tell them to :censored: off and walk off.'

for those who like to throw the word around when a players form dips below your expected level....

This is an attitude problem.

The lad's an idiot and is going nowhere fast.

A manager has to understand the different approaches to getting the best out of different players but telling a manager to :censored: off and storming off because he raises his voice is childish. He seems to understand that he acted like a dick at Everton but doesn't appear to have gotten to grips with how to behave even now.

Walking away from a three-year professional career when your missus is pregnant with your first kid seems bloody daft to me.

Based on what I've been told, I take his suggestion that his exit from Latics was nothing to do with drink or drugs with a pinch of salt.

And, if the psychologist he supposedly went to see gave him tablets, there's something seriously amiss because psychologists don't prescribe.

The bit at the bottom is interesting Green is just one example of several players who this has happened too. This appears to be a problem with the current system where too many players are given too much too soon how do you keep a 16 year olds feet on the ground when you give them £45000 plus £4K a month. He's not going to cut it in professional football or life in general if he just walks off and ignores people every time they shout or criticize him.

Does nobody else feel sorry for him after reading that article? He's clearly suffering with mental health problems.

Yes and no.

It's easy for us to call him ungrateful but at 16 17 I was doing my a levels and stacking shelves in the coop for 2.70 per hour it taught me important life skills in terms of dealing with customers and dealing with a manager. He had £45k thrown at him and £1k a week to play football and got hailed a child prodigy. I dont know how I would have handled that and I think if anyone does get that once in a lifetime chance you would need some pretty strong characters around you to keep your feet on the ground. I wonder if that character laticsfan05 had anything to do with him because if so you could understand why he thinks hes better than he is. He will pay for it in later life if he doesnt change his ways soon.

On the other hand he clearly wasted this opportunity to become a top footballer and he is going to have to do a lot of growing up especially if he's going to be a father soon because £75 a week won't get you very far when he has another mouth to feed. He still has time on his side to turn this around but he can't waste many more opportunities to do so.

Edited by GlossopLatic