Pre season protest

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without being negative I think the point people are making is; being happy we are signing players does not mask the fact that 2 months of pre season was completely wasted and we have had a complete fire sale of all saleable assets, put this alongside the best thing to happen to us in a long time (Sheridan) leaving due to, allegedly, the board.

Let's not get caught up with all the excitement of signing players because these are replacements not bolstering a side. I really hope we do well, I love Oldham but to contradict all the teams someone has mentioned previously ie Leicester Iceland etc they weren't cobbled together 3 weeks before the season. The team that springs to mind who is a more relevant comparison....Blackpool

We didn't lose 2 months of pre-season, we're maybe a week or 2 behind the competition. Having almost a complete blank sheet for the manager to work with could be considered a good thing, especially seen as we only just avoided relegation last season. Picking up what money you can in doing that is sensible, might increase this year's budget.

I think this whole pre-season think can be taken too far! yes we're a little behind, but with players signing up who are looking like they have a point to prove and others seemingly signing up on the strength of who the manager is could be a good thing! .. Dowie (WITH Harbin) had players running through hoops, and let's face it, few were stars back then, a number were non league lads taking their dream chance. When all that was mixed together it worked well. The lack of any fitness/cohesion will hopefully be taken up by the enthusiasm and belief that SR puts into their heads. We hopefully will play our part, support the younger lads who may get a chance and not be too vocal with our displeasure when things aren't going well. Who knows, we're well overdue a good run at ISZ .. I'll be there as I hope a few stay aways will be ..

all I keep thinking of is the difference between the last week or so compared to several weeks of departures .. I personally think it could have been a lot worse than what's being assembled before us now!

Edited by thetramdriver

I don't think this argument is as black and white as some are making out. It's not as simple as being either for or against the protest or the people in the group.

Personally I think those protesting have perfectly legitimate reasons for doing so. These have been covered numourous times elsewhere so I won't list them again. However it is my belief that something major is going on behind the scenes and the secrecy we have seen throughout this summer is very disconcerting. Even if there is nothing to worry about the clubs public relations must be amongst the worst in both the business and football world's.

Personally I'm of the viewpoint where I do have great concerns about the way the club is operating, and will continue my stance of not spending money with the club other than the season ticket I already paid for in March. However oldham athletic is my club and I'm not prepared to give up what has been my Saturday ritual for the last 25 years.

I won't be protesting but I fully support those who are. If I'm honest I've lost the passion for it which brings us full circle to why the protest is happening in the first place.

It's absolutely vital people don't blur the lines between the club, the players, management and staff, who every single blue no matter what your thoughts should be behind, and that of corney and the board.

Yes we have had a flurry of activity this week on the playing side of things and robinson should be commended for that. But why were things left to get to this stage in the first place? Don't let 1 good week blur the outlook of a very bleak summer as a latics fan. Don't be fooled into thinking Corney is opening the purse strings. He is simply doing the minimum to keep the club ticking over. I have heard the argument "he and the amigo's saved us, but they have no real money" a thousand times. We have never had money. It's the fact he never shows his face anymore, or even speaks with any small degree of care for the club. We are simply a loss making division of brass bank to him these days and the sooner the club and he part ways the better for everyone.

At least it was spelt correctly, that's a start.

If this "Westy's" tweets are anything to go by, he'll be boycotting Pokemon next because he doesn't understand the flow of money between Nintendo and Google.

It's business. As long as a competitive team is on the pitch, competitive being the operative word, then we should be happy.

I won't be protesting but I fully support those who are. If I'm honest I've lost the passion for it which brings us full circle to why the protest is happening in the first place.

Yes we have had a flurry of activity this week on the playing side of things and robinson should be commended for that. But why were things left to get to this stage in the first place? Don't let 1 good week blur the outlook of a very bleak summer as a latics fan. Don't be fooled into thinking Corney is opening the purse strings. He is simply doing the minimum to keep the club ticking over. I have heard the argument "he and the amigo's saved us, but they have no real money" a thousand times. We have never had money. It's the fact he never shows his face anymore, or even speaks with any small degree of care for the club. We are simply a loss making division of brass bank to him these days and the sooner the club and he part ways the better for everyone.

There are three of us who are not yet inclined to bother attending and I have spoken to many people over the summer who cannot understand us still going.

We are like you, and no doubt plenty of others, in that it is a ritual and a chance to meet up then go to the pub afterwards. The day is coming when it'll stop.

Unfortunately all 3 wives view going straight to the pub as against the law

Incoherent unfocused poorly organised protests achieve nothing

There will be plenty of time to mock but let's see what they've got first.

I've no idea what they are hoping to achieve like but will watch (and probably laugh) with mild interest.

There will be plenty of time to mock but let's see what they've got first.

I've no idea what they are hoping to achieve like but will watch (and probably laugh) with mild interest.

You make my point - we don't know "what they've got" i.e. It's unfocused and lacks coherence

The timing is shocking. Not the time to be doing this. The new manager will want to know he has our support and any potential backers will want to see a decent set up of a club not fans attacking each other. Club looking like they are backing the manager and the feel good factor for me at the moment is back why tarnish that already. Bad timed and poorly managed by the protest group.

The timing is shocking. Not the time to be doing this. The new manager will want to know he has our support and any potential backers will want to see a decent set up of a club not fans attacking each other. Club looking like they are backing the manager and the feel good factor for me at the moment is back why tarnish that already. Bad timed and poorly managed by the protest group.

They've been given a good 8 years of being :censored: before anyone's been vocal.

The protest is just ill thought out.

The decks have been cleared, money was spent on Shez, and on the new team. So it seems counter intuitive.

Of course, we have concerns, and the group said that they had accountants on the case.

As nothing as been reported or uncovered the group would be far better served operating as a "watching brief".

Money has been spent-are you deluded? Not on the football it hasnt.

Exactly.

People say it's poorly timed did you expect them to protest out of season when nobody is there?

Yes, there is a manager. He could be mint, he could be :censored:.

We've signed some players but not really anyone significant, again it could be fantastic and they could gel really well.

It seems the protest is about the hierarchy who stumble from one crisis to another whether it's ched, Kelly, dunn, shez, lack of comms, the North Stand.

You name it they've dropped the ball every time.

Are they right to voice their discontent?

Draw your own conclusions but I certainly don't blame them