Pre season protest

We need to accept 2 things about OEC

2. I will keep banging the drum on this one. It's very common for football clubs to outsource their hospitality to private companies who pay them rent to use the football clubs facilities this is pretty much what is happening here.

Not really though is it?

An 'outside company' builds a conference and event centre on credit and puts the bill on the company accounts. The 'outside company' then keeps 90% of the profits for itself.

This is NOT 'very common'.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the bit about the shop. It's a sports direct shop. In no way am I surprised that sports direct take most of the profit. It's their merchandise. I can't for the life of me see why this is an issue.

Agreed. This was all explained at the time and will not be changing for a minimum of three more years. Luckily, the deal gave us a budget to 'compete at the top' so this season we can all forget about it as we get carried away with promotion.

Not really though is it?

An 'outside company' builds a conference and event centre on credit and puts the bill on the company accounts. The 'outside company' then keeps 90% of the profits for itself.

2nd time I've heard this accusation that the club is saddled with millions of pounds of debt while the directors take profits from the OEC and squirrel away into their back pockets.

How come its not on this distributed gripe sheet yesterday?

I don't understand the bit about the shop. It's a sports direct shop. In no way am I surprised that sports direct take most of the profit. It's their merchandise. I can't for the life of me see why this is an issue.

Its an issue because its a concept that those who don't want to understand will never understand. Don't try and make sense of them :smoking:

2nd time I've heard this accusation that the club is saddled with millions of pounds of debt while the directors take profits from the OEC and squirrel away into their back pockets.

How come its not on this distributed gripe sheet yesterday?

I don't know. My interest in getting involved in the protest group was nipped in the bud by the appointment of what I saw as an exciting management team.

For the record I have also sent a letter to SC to apologise a any (if any) negative effects my public spitting of my dummy had. I will also be getting a season ticket.

This is not to say I don't have big concerns off the field, because quite clearly I do!

Not really though is it?

Their we go again see point 1 which you clearly didn't read.

Sweet Jesus this lot need stopping.

I disagree, they need guidance - nothing wrong with a pressure group asking difficult questions as long as they consider the answers they might get. They need to work with the trust for this line of supporter interaction to be effective.

I disagree, they need guidance - nothing wrong with a pressure group asking difficult questions as long as they consider the answers they might get. They need to work with the trust for this line of supporter interaction to be effective.

Theye have had some concrete answers but refuse to believe them. They also refuse to work with the trust. Pointless little group

To a point I agree.

I encouraged them to ask more questions about the various companies (OAFC 2004, Brassbank, OEC etc) a few weeks ago. I do think there is more Corney could do to state why business are set up as they are and why/how/if Latics benefit from this.

But this group has decided to boycott things without establishing facts. Decided there is underhand behviour going on within the ownership of the various companies without being able to state what it is. Ignored answers that are contrary to the belief that all things involving Corney must be evil. Talking about screwing up people's weddings is about as low as it gets and most likely damaging new income streams that are surely for the good of our club.

Closed Facebook group? WTF! Unwilling to discuss on OWTB? WTF! Unhappy that the Trust took notes from a meeting and opened dialogue with the club? Isn't that exactly what should be happening?

Step in and save them from themselves Rummy.

If there is any evidence that contradicts what the club is saying and what the trust has been told/found? The group may not want to speak to the trust about it, so release the information to all.

Once the information is out there, then I am sure myself and other trust directors will take it further. Until evidence is found it's more or less what we know, or will ever know I'm afraid

Surely the trust rep on the club board has full access to this information?

I don't expect them to make confidential information public, but there are many things they could clarify.

Just had a read through the last few pages. Rummy called it right that the protest group needs guidance. Sadly the letter that was handed out can't be taken seriously because it isn't presented well at all.

In my eyes to develop they need to have good lines of communication with the trust who, in recent times at least, have put out statements that are clear and seem to be as detailed as possible. Getting help from someone who has experience of being part of protest groups or trusts that have taken on owners in the past would improve their development too.

I think there is a place for a protest group but the group in it's current form need to be a lot more savvy if they're going to make a positive impact on the club.

Not really though is it?

Actually it is not that uncommon, albeit probably not an identical way.

What catering companies do is offer significant sums for refurbishment or construction of a catering premises in return for a contract over an agreed term.

They then recover that investment with fees, inflated charges or not passing on discounts to food costs. The particular action taken depends on the type of contract.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Edited by singe

Actually it is not that uncommon, albeit probably not an identical way.

What catering companies do is offer significant sums for refurbishment or construction of a catering premises in return for a contract over an agreed term.

They then recover that investment with fees, inflated charges or not passing on discounts to food costs. The particular action taken depends on the type of contract.

No such thing as a free lunch.

schools and hospitals all built in last 15 years only exist because of this model .... PFI's

I've been shrugged off and told to look out for the next meeting...

I find it incredibly ironic that the group are protesting for greater transparency from the club, yet they can't master transparency themselves... Genius.

They can't enter an honest debate because they won't accept facts and most of them don't know why they're protesting they're just sheep

Two points.

What is Corney's and his two 'silent partners' long term plan? I'm talking about the next 5-10 years. I don't get what his eventual out is? How long will it take the New stand and whatever other income streams they have, to pay off the 7-10 million in directors loans?

To my mind, they either want someone to buy their debt with everything else, which is very unlikely. Or they are here for a long time yet, to very, very, slowly recoup their money.

Which brings me to the second point.

Corney isn't interested/willing/able to push the football side on. Ok, fine. The problem for me is when the football side became a bind, they should of understood that just buying a piece of land and developing it, is extremely different different to buying a piece of land with football club in the middle of it.

It's very sapping for the community football club to be run secondary to people making there money back. Which is of course is their right; but to me they should be willing to make a loss on their investment if it means the football club thrives.

They knew they buying a football club (with lots of land) It sticks in throat that when the football becomes tiresome/difficult. It's just a business. That's sad for everyone involved IMO.

Two points.

What is Corney's and his two 'silent partners' long term plan? I'm talking about the next 5-10 years. I don't get what his eventual out is? How long will it take the New stand and whatever other income streams they have, to pay off the 7-10 million in directors loans?

To my mind, they either want someone to buy their debt with everything else, which is very unlikely. Or they are here for a long time yet, to very, very, slowly recoup their money.

Which brings me to the second point.

Corney isn't interested/willing/able to push the football side on. Ok, fine. The problem for me is when the football side became a bind, they should of understood that just buying a piece of land and developing it, is extremely different different to buying a piece of land with football club in the middle of it.

It's very sapping for the community football club to be run secondary to people making there money back. Which is of course is their right; but to me they should be willing to make a loss on their investment if it means the football club thrives.

They knew they buying a football club (with lots of land) It sticks in throat that when the football becomes tiresome/difficult. It's just a business. That's sad for everyone involved IMO.

Why should they be willing to make a loss? They can, and probably will eventually make there money back one way or another.

As fans, we might not like it that people are putting money above the club. But TTA aren't fans, or at least not to same extent. They invested money and want at least the invested amount back eventually which is fair enough.

I've been shrugged off and told to look out for the next meeting...

I find it incredibly ironic that the group are protesting for greater transparency from the club, yet they can't master transparency themselves... Genius.

And boycotting things that generate money for the club to protest about money not going to the club.

Disrupting events at the OEC is not only disgusting but will only land them in trouble with the law.

I dont think they need guidance, I think they need to grow the :censored: up. There are not enough of them to do anything other than embarrass themselves and the club.