Questions for Corney at the Q&A

Completely agree about it being the hope that keeps people going to games. The lack of belief that we have a chance of achieving anything has to be the main reason that we have seen crowds slide continually.

It has often been stated that the growth of the Premier League and the strength of the Manchester sides are key factors in the reduced crowds at Boundary Park. The facts just don't back this up though. If you look at what's happened to our crowds since we were taken over in 2004 and compare them to what has been experienced at Rochdale and Bury this is evident. Both our local rivals suffer from the same external factors as us so you would think they'd have seen something similar.

In the following chart, I have taken 3 year averages for attendances to flatten out any one off benefits or hits due to promotions and relegations for Bury and Rochdale.

Crowds_zpsoehkr5vg.jpg

As you can see, whilst we have seen a reduction in crowds of almost 40%, both our closest rivals have actually seen an increase. Although Dale saw a fall following relegation back down to League 2, they never dropped far below their starting point and after a reduction in line with our own for 3 years, Bury have seen relatively sustained growth ever since.

The three towns are fairly comparable in my view. Much as we might like to claim otherwise I don't think the people living in each are significantly different to each other so I would expect them to act in the same way as each other.

Our crowds are dropping for two reasons, and two reasons only; the quality of football on the pitch and the likelihood of it improving any time soon.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't love the club anymore... Its been six years (possibly seven) since I last game to a game. Any love I had is now nothing more than a fading ember...

But that doesn't stop you being wrong, dumb and naive... and it doesn't stop me hoping one day I can rediscover my love for the club...

While you got one part right (club being run down) you still putting the blame in the wrong place. Specially considering a lot of us are staying away because we realised the club was going nowhere and decided to stop throwing good money after bad.

Its just taking you a lot longer to come to the same conclusions... But I can see from your comments you are starting to see it for yourself... You just haven't fully admitted it yet...

Just out of interest, if you don't love the club any more, and haven't been to a game for six or seven years, what motivates you to post here?

Completely agree about it being the hope that keeps people going to games. The lack of belief that we have a chance of achieving anything has to be the main reason that we have seen crowds slide continually.

It has often been stated that the growth of the Premier League and the strength of the Manchester sides are key factors in the reduced crowds at Boundary Park. The facts just don't back this up though. If you look at what's happened to our crowds since we were taken over in 2004 and compare them to what has been experienced at Rochdale and Bury this is evident. Both our local rivals suffer from the same external factors as us so you would think they'd have seen something similar.

In the following chart, I have taken 3 year averages for attendances to flatten out any one off benefits or hits due to promotions and relegations for Bury and Rochdale.

Crowds_zpsoehkr5vg.jpg

As you can see, whilst we have seen a reduction in crowds of almost 40%, both our closest rivals have actually seen an increase. Although Dale saw a fall following relegation back down to League 2, they never dropped far below their starting point and after a reduction in line with our own for 3 years, Bury have seen relatively sustained growth ever since.

The three towns are fairly comparable in my view. Much as we might like to claim otherwise I don't think the people living in each are significantly different to each other so I would expect them to act in the same way as each other.

It's fine using percentages, but Rochdale are getting roughly 2200 fans. That's the 33% mark compared to our club. An increase of 200 fans is a 10% increase to them. It would take 600 fans to increase our stat by 10%. The conclusions you draw are a bit flawed.

Either way attendances are dropping and until Blitz stops bank rolling Corney nothing will change.

Just out of interest, if you don't love the club any more, and haven't been to a game for six or seven years, what motivates you to post here?

I can only presume you didn't read everything I wrote...

and it doesn't stop me hoping one day I can rediscover my love for the club...

I can only presume you didn't read everything I wrote...

and it doesn't stop me hoping one day I can rediscover my love for the club...

posting negativity on here wont help that so...

'Just out of interest, if you don't love the club any more, and haven't been to a game for six or seven years, what motivates you to post here?'

Crowds_zpsoehkr5vg.jpg

Our crowds are dropping for two reasons, and two reasons only; the quality of football on the pitch and the likelihood of it improving any time soon.

I would say the charts indicate gates go up when a team is winning, no matter what division they are in.

posting negativity on here wont help that so...

'Just out of interest, if you don't love the club any more, and haven't been to a game for six or seven years, what motivates you to post here?'

You say negativity... I call it the truth as I see it...

Ignoring the truth won't help anything improve...

You say negativity... I call it the truth as I see it...

Ignoring the truth won't help anything improve...

whatever you want to call it. It still wont help you fall back in love...

7 years of not going to games, no longer love the club...

your posting wont improve things or help you....pointless!

whatever you want to call it. It still wont help you fall back in love...

7 years of not going to games, no longer love the club...

your posting wont improve things or help you....pointless!

I wonder how many would return if we played next season in Division 2, topped the league throughout, and scored goals for fun? (pigs might fly I know).

I think they would, showing wins, goals and entertainment are what fans crave for whatever the league.

I wonder how many would return if we played next season in Division 2, topped the league throughout, and scored goals for fun? (pigs might fly I know).

I think they would, showing wins, goals and entertainment are what fans crave for whatever the league.

I would BP.

By the way is the Ford Sporting League still running?

I would BP.

By the way is the Ford Sporting League still running?

Good idea, bring it back, we might win a new main stand.

We would have a good chance of winning it as most of our players don't get anywhere near opponents to foul them.

Unfortunately we start every season at a disadvantage to most L1 clubs of our size. The budget is £250,000 less than it could be because of our payment to the Premier League Pension Fund (which we can't get out of).

Unfortunately we start every season at a disadvantage to most L1 clubs of our size. The budget is £250,000 less than it could be because of our payment to the Premier League Pension Fund (which we can't get out of).

£250,000? Thought it was £100,000

Crowds_zpsoehkr5vg.jpg

It's fine using percentages, but Rochdale are getting roughly 2200 fans. That's the 33% mark compared to our club. An increase of 200 fans is a 10% increase to them. It would take 600 fans to increase our stat by 10%. The conclusions you draw are a bit flawed.

The graph is flawed but the conclusion it's nothing to do with United and City is 100% correct.

We've often had periods of similarly :censored: crowds often when one or both of City and United have been :censored:. And years before there was wall to wall TV coverage.

Our crowds were :censored: in 1988. So were United and City.

It was said in the pub on Saturday that we've never had owners who were particularly "liked" and that we've always had owners who've seemingly put enormous thought & effort into contriving ways to piss the fans off.

Even when we were good we were never grateful to the owner(s). Royle & Frizzell aren't just a part of folklore for the football & results they produced but also for the fact they managed to perform such miracles despite whichever :censored: (in our eyes) they worked for at the time.

"ATHLETIC'S board are in contact with groups interested in buying the club, claiming that the feel-good factor of a strong start to the coming season could assist in a takeover."

As you were then.

Andy Hall

What a day. At the start of the season I were one of many who were all against what we thought why is Corney ar the the club and when he seemed to back Robinson and thought credit where credit due but I shouldn't have guessed or belived only what I read.

Today ive seen him in the bank . We spoke for a while about the club and I was shocked when he then said I want you as a fan to see what im doing here. He had a meeting the Bank where he transferred £140 thousand pound to the club from his own personal account because the club doesnt have the money for wages so he has covered it from his personal account. He spoke about all sorts wages, land and fans. He didn't hold back and I suggest to fans including My self don't judge someone until you meet them yourself. The fact is he let Me into his bank meeting and said I was his friend when the bank guy asked it was ok that I were there.

Today I seen a guy save the club I love becauses if he didn't pay that there would be no more Oldham Athletic.

14441216_10209228446700890_6443521621366
from the face book link posted earlier
On one hand you have to appreciate people who invest in something we love to such a degree
On the other you want to slap SC for so many incompetent things he has done or allowed to be done
frustrated beyond belief :dntknw:

Is it the same Andy Hall who works as a marketing consultant for, amongst others, one of Latics' biggest sponsors?