Shez - "I need five or six players"

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to have been a distinct change in mood with regard to potential signings at the club over the last week or two.

A couple of weeks ago Shez, after admitting he had believed we could sign Ripley,  was still confidently predicting he'd have 2 keepers in place before the first game, now he's saying it may be difficult to get a number 2 in at all, "in the circumstances".

Corney was talking about a couple of signings that would surprise fans and we were being linked with names like Jonathan Douglas and John Welsh. Now that's gone quiet and it's "trialists galore".

Reading between the lines it feels like something has happenned that has resulted in a sudden downgrade in our recruitment ambitions.

1 minute ago, bozman said:

There seems to have been a distinct change in mood with regard to potential signings at the club over the last week or two.

A couple of weeks ago Shez, after admitting he had believed we could sign Ripley,  was still confidently predicting he'd have 2 keepers in place before the first game, now he's saying it may be difficult to get a number 2 in at all, "in the circumstances".

Corney was talking about a couple of signings that would surprise fans and we were being linked with names like Jonathan Douglas and John Welsh. Now that's gone quiet and it's "trialists galore".

Reading between the lines it feels like something has happenned that has resulted in a sudden downgrade in our recruitment ambitions.

Maybe the Chinese takeoever/investment was on the cards after all but now isn't....

It goes from bad to worse.  The scenario is I think that the Manager would work out what and who he wanted and draw up lists of first choice second choice and so on.  Discussion with Corney.  Positive noises, remember those, Hunt, Gardner and Davies signed whilst waiting for the talented bench sitter Ripley (that will do him a lot of good).

Ben Wilson signed until January.  Oxford game.  Corney asked Manager what happened.  Manager signs a tiny unfit Belgium winger.  Corney thinks I can't let him spend anymore.  Panic sets in.  Burton game an improvement because diamond dropped.  On to Walsall where defeat follows an abject second half performance.  Manager has a rant like he did at Notts County whilst losing nine on the bounce.  Manager no longer sure we will sign a second or is the first keeper.

A group of travelling misfits meets up for a kick about on Little Wembley in the hope that they are offered a minimum wage contract with a struggling football club.

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

First team are playing a friendly as I type on Little Wembley. Looks like they're playing Fleetwood. Can't clearly make the kit out...

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I use the term "First team" very loosely. Black midfielder with yellow hair playing...

3 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

Can you see Baxter? :pray:

3 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

How about the 5'11" Haitian goalkeeper?

2 hours ago, robboman said:

Nixon says its ''trialists galore'' at oldham, johnny placide is one...

3 minutes ago, Hands on said:

A group of travelling misfits meets up for a kick about on Little Wembley in the hope that they are offered a minimum wage contract with a struggling football club.

[media]

[/media]

just gonna throw something into the mix here .. 

(iirc it was a couple if days before the Oxford game) 

I was walking past the training pitch (additionally, what happened to them training again at Chapel Road?) at ISZ and stopped for at short while to watch them training. Eventually i got talking to TW and said the usual stuff like I'm looking forward to the seaaon kick off, team lools good blah blah blah .. 

He mentioned that we still needed 2 or 3 players etc ( nothing new there eh?) but then came out with the comment .. " It's the wrong season!" .. 

That I have been trying to figure out ever since ..

anyone have an idea what he may have meant by that?

1 minute ago, thetramfixer said:

I was walking past the training pitch (additionally, what happened to them training again at Chapel Road?) at ISZ and stopped for at short while to watch them training. Eventually i got talking to TW and said the usual stuff like I'm looking forward to the seaaon kick off, team lools good blah blah blah .. 

He mentioned that we still needed 2 or 3 players etc ( nothing new there eh?) but then came out with the comment .. " It's the wrong season!" .. 

Perhaps he meant summer, meaning we are better on awful pitches in winter after January.

3 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

Probably referencing the strength of the league and it isn't a season to go into still needing 2 or 3.

6 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

No but, my lad was mascot for the Oxford game and while we were waiting around we walked past and I said hello, welcome back etc.. and that I was just telling my son how he was my first ever favourite player.

"Bloody hell, that puts some years on me" he replied. The bastard. :mad:

(maddog will like this) 

6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

No but, my lad was mascot for the Oxford game and while we were waiting around we walked past and I said hello, welcome back etc.. and that I was just telling my son how he was my first ever favourite player.

"Bloody hell, that puts some years on me" he replied. The bastard. :mad:

(maddog will like this) 

? Tommy knows the score....

56 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

Probably meant that uncle simon only puts his hand in his pocket in the new year when it looks like we might be going down. Again.

1 hour ago, thetramfixer said:

He said " it's a long season " not "it's the wrong season" and it means like me your birth cerfificate is getting past it's best?

Logging in from the States at moment and it's depressing reading.  

Before I flew, Corney stated that they'd be one or two surprises on incoming players.  When you hear the word "surprise" to me it implies exciting signings.

Shez then kicks off post Walsall suggesting we need 5-6 new players and we're now scrambling around we triallists and threats that we have to sell before we can buy.

What's happened?!  Corney's money tree burned to the ground?!  Chinese investment evaporated within the course of a week?!

Seriously; whatever has happened needs to be explained because polar opposites suggests something major has happened on the funding front.

45 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Logging in from the States at moment and it's depressing reading.  

Before I flew, Corney stated that they'd be one or two surprises on incoming players.  When you hear the word "surprise" to me it implies exciting signings.

Shez then kicks off post Walsall suggesting we need 5-6 new players and we're now scrambling around we triallists and threats that we have to sell before we can buy.

What's happened?!  Corney's money tree burned to the ground?!  Chinese investment evaporated within the course of a week?!

Seriously; whatever has happened needs to be explained because polar opposites suggests something major has happened on the funding front.

How about... The money was never available but people started getting carried away be unfounded rumours and Simon Corney made similar statements to ones he makes every summer which turn out to be hot air?

Our inability to find any money right now after failing to land Ripley suggest that there was never a chance it was going to happen. You would imagine that Wilson is on considerably less than it would have cost us to secure Connor so that should leave a surplus. On the face of it, it hasn't. The logical conclusion is that the money required was never there. Comments from Shez at the time gave the impression that he thought the funds were there.

9 hours ago, Magister said:

He said " it's a long season " not "it's the wrong season" and it means like me your birth cerfificate is getting past it's best?

How did you get from "wrong" to "long"?

Where you in attendance at this conversation or was it played online or are you guessing that "tramfixer" misheard?

Edited by mikejh45

25 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

How did you get from "wrong" to "long"?

Where you in attendance at this conversation or was it played online or are you guessing that "tramfixer" misheard?

F course I wasn't there, of course I have no idea what TW said but men like me of a certain age hear the wrong thing all the time and we take the piss out of each other when we do it ! (The question mark in my post is not some random hieroglyphic)

Edited by Magister
Omission