Team v Charlton

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, jonnyegg said:

There's a lot of love for Gardner, but he gifted them the 4th goal and was lucky that Wilson managed to save one after he lost the ball badly in the first half while we were attacking. If Banks had done the same there'd be hell on.

He's much better than we have had recently. Are you really going to focus on a couple of mistakes and compare him to Banks? JFC. 

39 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Yes. He lied. I clearly recall him saying earlier in the season that Banks was classy and composed.  Ps. Banks is crap. 

Bizarre as it may appear,on occasion Banks can appear classy and composed when he has the ball,that isn't a lie.He can also lose his man more often than most.

8 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

Bizarre as it may appear,on occasion Banks can appear classy and composed when he has the ball,that isn't a lie.He can also lose his man more often than most.

He's shit, anyone who sees anything in him ability wise is a clown and that goes for Sheridan. His very few qualities are by far outweighed by being the biggest shithouse to pull on the blue shirt, he's right up there with Connor Brown as my all time least favourite Oldham player and should be playing at a similar level to Brown as he's stealing a living with us.

On the general consensus looks like i may have been premature on my 26th minute exit because it sounds like we vastly improved once the first substitution was made.

But we were woeful in the first 20 mins as we have been in pretty much every game this season, going 2-0 and chasing the game and that can only fall on Sheridans head, playing a diamond today was criminal against the best left hand side in the league, Jackson and Holmes are class at this level and leaving the boo boy Banks to cover it was terrible (and i am not a fan of him in the slightest) but i genuinely felt sorry for him today until the 2nd goal.....he never once looked behind him to see 2 lads were behind him and Wilson never balled at him to let him know either, once i left at 0-2 sounds like we showed some bollocks and about time but 0 points after 5 is demoralizing and im struggling to get enthused to go to the games never mind see the 90 minutes out, if that make me a shit fan in some eyes so be it but im 27 and never seen the good days iv seen 21 years of crap 2 play-off pushes and 3 relegation scraps its crap and im losing enthusiasm for the battle now as sad as it sounds

Ben Wilson is crap, id terminate his loan tomorrow, beat at his near post for the second, dodgy positioning for the third and slow to narrow the angle for the fourth.

Brian Wilson isn't having a good season. Mr reliable last season but constantly gets caught out this (tbf to him he never gets support in front of him).

Gerrard and Clarke - either of them could be dropped, but Clarke is the better player. We could get away with experienced older players at the back of last season on our cabbage patch but 3 old and slow defenders on a decent pitch is killing us! Need dummigan and Edmunson in there.

Banks should never wear the shirt again.

Plenty of positives today. New players did well, although a little unfit. Gardner and hunt did well. Doyle looks class and will score goals and I was also impressed with Davies today.

Fane was very unlucky and was playing well up until the red. Think he could do well in that midfield, win the ball with energy and give it to the creators. McLaughlin to come back in and I think we will start picking up some points! 

Not even guna go there with the ref. Cost us and ruined the game.

Sheridan needs to get his team selections and tactics spot on, we can't keep giving teams a two goal head start in the first 20 minutes. 

29 minutes ago, OL9erlatic said:

On the general consensus looks like i may have been premature on my 26th minute exit because it sounds like we vastly improved once the first substitution was made.

But we were woeful in the first 20 mins as we have been in pretty much every game this season, going 2-0 and chasing the game and that can only fall on Sheridans head, playing a diamond today was criminal against the best left hand side in the league, Jackson and Holmes are class at this level and leaving the boo boy Banks to cover it was terrible (and i am not a fan of him in the slightest) but i genuinely felt sorry for him today until the 2nd goal.....he never once looked behind him to see 2 lads were behind him and Wilson never balled at him to let him know either, once i left at 0-2 sounds like we showed some bollocks and about time but 0 points after 5 is demoralizing and im struggling to get enthused to go to the games never mind see the 90 minutes out, if that make me a shit fan in some eyes so be it but im 27 and never seen the good days iv seen 21 years of crap 2 play-off pushes and 3 relegation scraps its crap and im losing enthusiasm for the battle now as sad as it sounds

I can go with that.My son is 21 and goes with me to many games and has never seen promotion and seen mainly poor fayre and I would not blame him in the slightest for walking away.He has not and all the shit we have watched over the years has not made him give up .Lord knows why not.

I can only hope others do not give up and that there now seems to be a glimmer of hope again which seems to keep us coming back for  more  .

8 hours ago, OL9erlatic said:

For all the abuse Banks has got over the past week with that Twitter Q&A, he's hardly been helped by Shez, like you said.

It's terrible judgement from Shez to play him, and then to take him off in the first half? Perhaps yesterday was last chance saloon, but he should never have got this far as a starter and been allowed to be destroyed in any case.

14 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

I thought his analysis was pretty fair to be honest

Me too, he says it as he sees it, and is impartial.

he talks knowledgeably about the game having been involved in it for a good few years. It didn't work out for him at Rochdale, and he's probably good in theory, but hasn't got that extra required to be a successful league manager.

imo he'd be good back in an academy 

It was my first game of the season yesterday and after all the negativity and the first 20 minutes I did have my head in my hands.

after that with the Banks change and giving it a go for most of the rest of the game  I came away with a positive feeling and hope for more home wins than losses if we keep the character and select a settled side.

the ref was the worst I've seen in a very long time, even though the 2nd yellow for Fane was wrong you knew he'd be off as soon as he got the first one.

here's what I thought of the players 

Wilson - we were spoiled with Connor Ripley, and this guy will let in 2 a game, not a shot stopper at all, and opposition teams will expose his weaknesses 

Hunt - solid , but often out of position 

Gerrard - He got turned too easily , especially one occasion in the first half when charlton should have had another. He's very experienced, but too slow, needs to shift a couple of stones

Clarke - made some great blocks , didn't seem to captain the team and encourage though.

Wilson - solid, but probably out of position and exposed at least for their second and fourth goals

Gardner - impressive and controlled on the ball,good distribution  seemed to flag near the end though 

Bryan - neat and tidy, will improve with more game time

Banks - too many Hollywood balls, I think there is a footballer in there, needs more focus and discipline and to play as advised

Byrne - looked good, took his goal well

Davies - - took confidence from the penalty goal, and linked well with Doyle

Doyle - looked a cut above strikers we've had for the last few seasons, a natural finisher

Fane - did ok for me, though was waiting for that second yellow, he's not got a football brain

Fawns - first time I've seen him, did ok in the short time he was on

Osei - not on long enough to make an impact 

was a little bemused at 2-4 that there was not more urgency, it was like we'd given up with 15 to go

did get one back, but felt we could have pushed more for another goal

onwards and upwards  

Edited by stevesidg

36 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

It was my first game of the season yesterday and after all the negativity and the first 20 minutes I did have my head in my hands.

after that with the Banks change and giving it a go for most of the rest of the game  I came away with a positive feeling and hope for more home wins than losses if we keep the character and select a settled side.

the ref was the worst I've seen in a very long time, even though the 2nd yellow for Fane was wrong you knew he'd be off as soon as he got the first one.

here's what I thought of the players 

Wilson - we were spoiled with Connor Ripley, and this guy will let in 2 a game, not a shot stopper at all, and opposition teams will expose his weaknesses 

Hunt - solid , but often out of position 

Gerrard - He got turned too easily , especially one occasion in the first half when charlton should have had another. He's very experienced, but too slow, needs to shift a couple of stones

Clarke - made some great blocks , didn't seem to captain the team and encourage though.

Wilson - solid, but probably out of position and exposed at least for their second and fourth goals

Gardner - impressive and controlled on the ball,good distribution  seemed to flag near the end though 

Bryan - neat and tidy, will improve with more game time

Banks - too many Hollywood balls, I think there is a footballer in there, needs more focus and discipline and to play as advised

Byrne - looked good, took his goal well

Davies - - took confidence from the penalty goal, and linked well with Doyle

Doyle - looked a cut above strikers we've had for the last few seasons, a natural finisher

Fane - did ok for me, though was waiting for that second yellow, he's not got a football brain

Fawns - first time I've seen him, did ok in the short time he was on

Osei - not on long enough to make an impact 

was a little bemused at 2-4 that there was not more urgency, it was like we'd given up with 15 to go

did get one back, but felt we could have pushed more for another goal

onwards and upwards  

That's a pretty good appraisal, going back to Banks I can't work out if he's thick as fuck or suffers from delusions of grandeur because he just can't follow simple instructions from the side line,  I'm not sure why Shez persists in trying to improve him as a player because the lads just not for learning.

Strangely after last season our main issues now seem to be around our defence, whether that's this keeper undermining them is yet to be determined but there's no doubt we'd of taken points by now if we could of held on to Ripley.

Going forward I'm a little more optimistic, our main problem is giving the likes of Shrewsbury 13 points start  but fortunately there's still plenty to play for.

10 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

Ben Wilson is crap, id terminate his loan tomorrow, beat at his near post for the second, dodgy positioning for the third and slow to narrow the angle for the fourth.

Brian Wilson isn't having a good season. Mr reliable last season but constantly gets caught out this (tbf to him he never gets support in front of him).

Gerrard and Clarke - either of them could be dropped, but Clarke is the better player. We could get away with experienced older players at the back of last season on our cabbage patch but 3 old and slow defenders on a decent pitch is killing us! Need dummigan and Edmunson in there.

Banks should never wear the shirt again.

Plenty of positives today. New players did well, although a little unfit. Gardner and hunt did well. Doyle looks class and will score goals and I was also impressed with Davies today.

Fane was very unlucky and was playing well up until the red. Think he could do well in that midfield, win the ball with energy and give it to the creators. McLaughlin to come back in and I think we will start picking up some points! 

Not even guna go there with the ref. Cost us and ruined the game.

Sheridan needs to get his team selections and tactics spot on, we can't keep giving teams a two goal head start in the first 20 minutes. 

Pretty much this for me. Keeper is garbage and needs to be replaced, brian wilson as I said on twitter was Mr reliable but is simply getting beat constantly by younger faster players and its concerning. Dummigan in truth hasn't looked good at all but he does have some pace at least. 

Agree about the centre backs too Though Clarke is a much better player overall so I would drop Gerrard for Stott when fit and play Hunt Stott Clarke Dummigan. Maybe Edmundson but I think with Clarke next to him Stott could slot in at centre back.

We looked so much better once Banks had gone off. He's shocking, needs to never play again. Once he went off and we went 442 we actually looked a pretty good side. All of the new lads looked good and Doyle up front was fantastic. 

Better things to come, leave banks out of the 11, Mclaughlin to come in, couple changes at the back and I think we'll be okay

Just seen the goals from the game on Sky Sports. Defending is, as it has been all season, shoddy. Statuesque and slow to close down. Keystone cops for one of the goals...Too many are off the pace of the game.

Where is Peter Shirtliff currently? We definitely need a defensive coach.  

The angle for the sending off is poor so difficult to tell if Fane went in with studs showing.

Going forward however we looked far better. With McGlaughlin to take the right midfield, a change between the sticks and some of the injured to be back in contention and we have the makings of a half decent side.

Fleetwood will be another tough one but like some have said, I am more optimistic after yesterday.