Team v Charlton

7 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

I didn't go but we managed to bag 3 so that's definitely a positive and we aren't going to be playing teams as good as Charlton everyweek so we might actually be able to get going now.

Charlton were a good side and i agree.  If we keep going as today (without Banks please god) we will be alright.  11 vs 11 today after we go 2-2 would of been very interesting.  

Edited by deckyd

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OL9erlatic said:

If we do fair play....ill look stupid but i didnt want to watch anymore of it my choice, iv payed my money i do what i want......i may be an Oldham fan but i also pay to get entertained, after so many years of watching wank and wasting my Saturday im at the end of my tether.....i pay a lot to get a season ticket a lot on here and Oldhan fans dont so i can say what i feel on the subject as i have a right, agree with my feelings or not

Well you missed out then, because it was very entertaining today.  Nevermind. 

I think we were privileged today to witness possibly the worst refereeing performance in recent history. Mr Joyce surpassed his previous benchmark (Bradford away) by some considerable margin. 

How he is allowed to referee is a insult to the paying customer, the man is inept, clueless, and totally gets lost in the occasion, he just cant handle the game properly, that was by no means a dirty game but when you set the bar so low with your early bookings it can only go one way. His finest moment was the foul against Davies for the defender knocking his own keeper over. Priceless just priceless.

7 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I think we were privileged today to witness possibly the worst refereeing performance in recent history. Mr Joyce surpassed his previous benchmark (Bradford away) by some considerable margin. 

How he is allowed to referee is a insult to the paying customer, the man is inept, clueless, and totally gets lost in the occasion, he just cant handle the game properly, that was by no means a dirty game but when you set the bar so low with your early bookings it can only go one way. His finest moment was the foul against Davies for the defender knocking his own keeper over. Priceless just priceless.

Ruined the game.  Thought the challange on Doyle first few mins was a pen aswell.  Cant believe he gave that for a foul, clear as day as you described, had to be for a a Davies off side or something because if not he should be suspended.

Edited by deckyd

Definitely hope to be taken from that performance in an attacking sense at least. The new lads all look comfortable on the ball and 2 of them scored so that's a big plus. Never a sending off for Fane who took the ball as clean as a whistle. We wouldn't have lost that with 11 v 11 and may well have won. 

Awful, awful refereeing. Honestly not sure he got a decision right, how that game ended up with so many bookings is beyond me, was hardly a dirty affair. 

Same old problems though. Questions against Wilson for first 3 goals, for me. Rachubka got stick on here for conceding goals, but Wilson's far worse. 

Centre halves are so so slow - poor header from one of ours to release Dodoo, but there wasn't a chance they were going to get near him. 

More promising going forward though. When Doyle went through, I had absolutely no doubt it was going in, first time in ages I've thought that. Byrne, Bryan and Gardner all look comfortable on the ball and we looked more threatening going forward. 

On 01/09/2017 at 4:36 PM, rudemedic said:

The Ref is Ross Joyce, who sent Gerrard off against Chesterfield and was responsible for some ridiculously biased decisions against Bradford 12 months ago.

See 

Warned everyone. Booking points was a definite money-maker today.

I thought Doyle and Gardner were our best players, and the other two lads in midfield also looked promising. It's no coincidence once Banks went off we looked better, he has to be the worst player in this entire division, an absolute wet blanket of a footballer. Gerrard can sling it too

Plenty off positives though. We might actually have a proper striker!!

oh, also one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen

Edited by Dayvan Cowboy

The worrying thing for me is the starting lineups and tactics we are starting games with, we can't keep going 2-0 down then changing it, we need the correct tactics from the get go, fair play Shez changed it in the 1st half, but the damage was done, I really try not to single players out for critisiscm but for me Banks can just fuck off, I literally don't want to see him play for us ever again, there are others but he is just a complete shit house. Fane had a good impact but needs to learn to tackle, the bloke is a walking red card, the 1st yellow is just stupid after being on for only 2 mins. Thought the new players all looked good, Byrne and Gardner were excellent, Bryan looked tidy and put a shift in. Defensively we were not good enough again, no idea what has happened to Clarke, I'm wondering if last season took a lot out of him, he was injured for the last 10 or so games but carried on, Gerrard looks half the player he was, Brian Wilson got terrorised in that 1st half. The Keeper can go back now as well, he is very poor, nothing he can do with 1st which is a worldie (shit from our Midfield though to allow it), maybe harsh but 2nd could do better and 4th was awful defending but the keeper just stayed routed to his 6 yard box, can't directly blame him for that but felt he should have rushed out to close the angle. 

Won't spend too much time on the ref, what a fuck wit, he was terrible, I didn't really see the red properly but the rest was a joke, late 2nd half he penilised Davies after their Defender ran in to their Keeper, laughable, then the last 5 mins was just unbelievable, it was like he was trying to even things up and just lost the plot.

We really need some points soon, on paper the next 3 are hard, we have had a tough start to the season and Fleetwood and Bristol away on paper look hard, Shrewsbury next home game who have started very well. The league looks very tough this season, it seems everyone has improved their squads dramatically.

First 20 mins was worse than anything under Robinson / Dunne / Kelly.

Clarke & Gerrard worked as well as they did last year because teams had to play it long on our cabbage patch. This season we have a decent pitch and any team that want to play it on the deck get in behind far too easily.

Gardener (bar the backwards header) was excellent, as were Doyle & Davies who I thought linked up really well.

Banks was awful but I'm going to defend him a bit and say Sheridan has to take some responsibility for playing him on the right wing (not that it would have made much of a difference if he was on the middle)

I don't think Byrne and Bryan stood out as much as some did, but they both look comfortable on the ball and will be assets.

Referee was one of the worst I've ever seen, Terrible.

I thought Shez got his team selection wrong. Fane should have been in from the start. I know he is not the most naturally gifted footballer but he can do a job breaking up play. He went for the best footballers today to the detriment of a cohesive team that could compete with Charlton in midfield.

At least in the end we scored some goals got off our seats and there was a bit of passion for the first time at home this season.

As far as the ref is concerned there should be sanctions stopping him referring at this level again.

1 hour ago, OL9erlatic said:

If we do fair play....ill look stupid but i didnt want to watch anymore of it my choice, iv payed my money i do what i want......i may be an Oldham fan but i also pay to get entertained, after so many years of watching wank and wasting my Saturday im at the end of my tether.....i pay a lot to get a season ticket a lot on here and Oldhan fans dont so i can say what i feel on the subject as i have a right, agree with my feelings or not

Okay so you agree that today by walking out early your support for the club was good ? Shouldn't just walk out after 20 minuites, no true passionate fan would 

At 2-0 down I thought this was going to be an long afternoon. Then the substitute happened and the game changed I like Fane he gives all  sometimes too much and just turned to say to someone game on with Fane on, when he got sent off.

the sadist in me actually enjoyed that game, I thought the players were up for it and gave all, atmosphere was good to. Nothing like galvanising us against the perverbial villain.

New lads look good and luckily some know where the back of the net is too.

strangely I am feeling mor optimistic than I was at the start of the season. Maybe it's me but I am sensing signs of improvement.

Edited by underdog

For the first time this season I left the ground feeling in a positive mood nd feel we will start getting results to go our way.The new players are showing battling qualities in midfield and up front we are looking a lot more menacing and I hope Davies and Doyle can form a productive partnership.

Banks yet again pathetic and a waste of a wage.Why do we have to be 2-0 down after a few minutes before we start?This is a big worry and must be stopped.

I'm not too keen on our keeper and glad he now has competition to start in goals.

This ref is notorious for dishing out cards and when Fane came on to add momentum in midfield it did make me worry about a sending off.Thought the second card was very harsh and his decisions were dubious apart from late on when I thought he was trying to save himself from a lynching after the game.

Thought the fans were brilliant and got behind the team.We were hard done to by this ref who was the worst I have seen for a long time but we showed fighting spirit against the odds and that is what I expect from an Oldham team.They all got applauded at the end and the signs for the future are positive even though we have not won yet.

Charlton are a fancied team for promotion and have some good players so I look forwards to seeing our team gelling and showing guts for 90 minutes and not 70 and stop these bloody suicidal starts which leave us chasing the game.

13 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Okay so you agree that today by walking out early your support for the club was good ? Shouldn't just walk out after 20 minuites, no true passionate fan would 

No never said it was, but i struggled to get myself their before the game if being honest because im bored to death of it, if true passionates if sat there watching whatever is served up your all better than me in that stake , im just stick to death of watching that shower lack of effort and bad tactics, its painful at times and i want to do something better with my time and at the moment sat in the white hart is better. I pay my money no matter how many minutes i last and in that respect im better than a lot of "latics" fans ib my eyes if you agree or not

Don't often post but feel moved to do so after today. Agree with the earlier post re Steve Eyre's analysis. Thought Shez picked the wrong first xi and we looked seriously heartless in that first half hour. Then Fane's introduction changed our shape, and more importantly, our attitude. I know he polarises opinion on here but I have always rated his ability to break play and make simple passes. 

The ref then took over and couldn't wait to send him off in my opinion. I didn't even think the second yellow was a foul, let alone a booking, but what can you expect from a team run by Robinson and Bowyer?

Overall I was impressed with most of the players, although for me Gardener and particularly Bryan tired. I'm disappointed and angry with the ref, but we caused our own problems from the start. Hopefully things will improve...

OWTB