Ex players and that

There's an article in the Telegraph today about Jason Jarrett. He's been training to be a referee for four years but is quitting because he can't officiate in games involving any of his former clubs - he has 14 of them.

I can see why that rule is in place but it seems quite counter-productive when ex-pros should be encouraged to get into refereeing. Say what you like about Jarrett as a player, but surely his experience would help as a ref. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good interview with Brian Kilcline in the Guardian, here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/30/brian-kilcline-footballer-coventry-city

"A “blood and guts” centre-half who played with his heart on his sleeve, Kilcline signed for Coventry in 1984 and spent seven years there before briefly moving on to Oldham, where Joe Royle took exception to his mode of transport. “I had a Dacia Duster, it had a floppy top and looked like an old war truck,” Kilcline explains. “I remember Joe pulling me in the office one day and saying: ‘What the fuck’s that outside?’ He said: ‘You can’t be coming in in that.’ I said: ‘Joe, I either had central heating or a nice car. And central heating won.’” "

24 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Good interview with Brian Kilcline in the Guardian, here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/30/brian-kilcline-footballer-coventry-city

"A “blood and guts” centre-half who played with his heart on his sleeve, Kilcline signed for Coventry in 1984 and spent seven years there before briefly moving on to Oldham, where Joe Royle took exception to his mode of transport. “I had a Dacia Duster, it had a floppy top and looked like an old war truck,” Kilcline explains. “I remember Joe pulling me in the office one day and saying: ‘What the fuck’s that outside?’ He said: ‘You can’t be coming in in that.’ I said: ‘Joe, I either had central heating or a nice car. And central heating won.’” "

Sounds like a lot of poetic licence with that.

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I see Louie Moulden,  son of Paul, is at the centre of a tapping up case 

Currently an U-15 keeper with Liverpool but Citeh are hanging around outside the gates, allegedly. 

I assume he's bigger than his dad if he is a keeper

I remember being at a Latics reserve game towards the end of "Killers" Oldham playing career. I was sat next to Joe and Willie, when "Killer" got lobbed with a great ball and Joe's words we're "oh no, I've seen the Queen Mary turn quicker than that". Brian "Killer" Kilcline was gone by the end of that week, with no mention of cars..........

ray-wilson-and-geoff-hurst-carry-bobby-m

Sorry if this has been posted before but a sad story about one of our former players, World cup winner Ray Wilson.

http://sportnewsoftheday.com/Article/77f2191d-a405-fa36-39e5-4eb546b924d2

He played for us around 1969 / 70  for those to young to remember.

Edited by Stagger Lee

Guest davidshaw

Re. the above 2 posts - yes to both - did we really have a buy back in Kelly's contract? Although Green has been phenomenal of late - how long can his legs last? Kelly was v good whilst here and would love him back. As adamoafc says, Etheridge would be a good acquisition - we are not going to be able to keep Ripley surely? (and even if we did - need a quality back-up).