Ex players and that

I don't think so no.

Goes to show that with Spencer, Trotman and now the looks of it, Eaves - the club actually did brilliantly in getting in the sort of fees that they managed for those young lads.

I actually didn't see the hype with Eaves in the first place, yep he was young when Penney was throwing him into 1st team games, but he never looked like scoring for us, and that 3 goal salvo in a pre-season games looked to be an exception rather than a nod of what was to come.

I'd avoid...

And to think the Bolton centre back who couldn't contain him was Cahill.

I don't think so no.

Goes to show that with Spencer, Trotman and now the looks of it, Eaves - the club actually did brilliantly in getting in the sort of fees that they managed for those young lads.

I actually didn't see the hype with Eaves in the first place, yep he was young when Penney was throwing him into 1st team games, but he never looked like scoring for us, and that 3 goal salvo in a pre-season games looked to be an exception rather than a nod of what was to come.

I'd avoid...

Trotman spent about 3 seasons on the sidelines at Preston due to injury, ultimately he was never the same player. But he wasn't a hypejob like Eaves or Spencer, he looked head and shoulders our best player when he broke through in Gregan's absence.

Have you read the blurb on the Cambridge website I sure every club gets the same crap.

"He had more lucrative offers and at least one club in the division about but came to us"

Same :censored:e spoken at every club. Fans know you only sign a player for 2 reasons, 1 offer more than others and 2 you offer slightly less but give them a longer deal!

Have you read the blurb on the Cambridge website I sure every club gets the same crap.

"He had more lucrative offers and at least one club in the division about but came to us"

Same :censored:e spoken at every club. Fans know you only sign a player for 2 reasons, 1 offer more than others and 2 you offer slightly less but give them a longer deal!

He does have a special place in his heart for Cambridge United to be fair.

I don't think so no.

I'd avoid...

Didn't he hit the bar twice in the league games he played? He would have been a good striker at this level maybe even been good enough for the championship if he'd carried on playing first team games with us. Going to a bigger club and rotting in the reserves/youths with the odd month out on loan for a couple of years is a free ticket to :censored:ing your career up in my opinion. He might come good yet but I see it as 2 years of his career wasted and he's probably not progressed at all since we had him.

Didn't he hit the bar twice in the league games he played? He would have been a good striker at this level maybe even been good enough for the championship if he'd carried on playing first team games with us. Going to a bigger club and rotting in the reserves/youths with the odd month out on loan for a couple of years is a free ticket to :censored:ing your career up in my opinion. He might come good yet but I see it as 2 years of his career wasted and he's probably not progressed at all since we had him.

Think so, wasn't one away against Southampton; and he was only 4/5 yards out?

I'm not so sure re: the development. There's arguements to both i guess.

There's the working with better coaches, at better facilities and with better players arguement.

Then there's the staying where you are; with the overall lower standards, but playing first team games at L1 level one.

Works both ways i'd say: in some instances it helps the players and develops them quicker and more fully; readying them for a higher level of football than they would have been able to reach otherwise.

In others, it stiffles development and the player never fulfills on early promise and in a number of cases drops to a level(s) below from where they originally came from.

With Eaves, it's a tricky one. He had attributes at 17 that stood him in really good stead, and made you think he had a real chance to go to a very high level in the game. But at the same time, some key areas of his game were fundamentally flawed and you thought he could quite easily be another Matt Barlow-esq youth product who drops into the non-league semi pro game.

I guess we'll never know. I didn't particularly rate him at 17 or think he'd shown anything to warrant the big move when it arrived. But i did bump into some Trotters fans when working away, who were raving about him and were bemoaning the fact he wasn't getting picked ahead of (at the time IIRC) Elmander & Klasnic.

Right now though, from his last loan move and the comments and reviews; I think we're better looking elsewhere than re-visiting a former youth player who looks to be another to add to the list of cracking sales from the club

Edited by slystallone

Think so, wasn't one away against Southampton; and he was only 4/5 yards out?

I'm not so sure re: the development. There's arguements to both i guess.

There's the working with better coaches, at better facilities and with better players arguement.

Then there's the staying where you are; with the overall lower standards, but playing first team games at L1 level one.

Works both ways i'd say: in some instances it helps the players and develops them quicker and more fully; readying them for a higher level of football than they would have been able to reach otherwise.

In others, it stiffles development and the player never fulfills on early promise and in a number of cases drops to a level(s) below from where they originally came from.

With Eaves, it's a tricky one. He had attributes at 17 that stood him in really good stead, and made you think he had a real chance to go to a very high level in the game. But at the same time, some key areas of his game were fundamentally flawed and you thought he could quite easily be another Matt Barlow-esq youth product who drops into the non-league semi pro game.

I guess we'll never know. I didn't particularly rate him at 17 or think he'd shown anything to warrant the big move when it arrived. But i did bump into some Trotters fans when working away, who were raving about him and were bemoaning the fact he wasn't getting picked ahead of (at the time IIRC) Elmander & Klasnic.

Right now though, from his last loan move and the comments and reviews; I think we're better looking elsewhere than re-visiting a former youth player who looks to be another to add to the list of cracking sales from the club

Oh yeah I wouldn't even consider re-signing him. He had potential but he's been treading water for 2 or 3 years same as Spencer did at Everton. I think first team games are worth far more than better coaching, you learn more in a game situations against seasoned pros than you ever could on the training ground.

A shame really, i thought he looked decent at 17 and obviously had the physical attributes to be a success in league one. Same as so many others though he moved too early. Danny Philliskirk has probably been lucky with his dad still being here that he's in effect been given a second chance to revive things and it looks like he's making a go of it but I think he could easily have been another to continue the rapid descent down the leagues into obscurity despite his talent.

In comparison look at our other young players who've moved on having got plenty of games under their belts at this level - Taylor, Eardley, Kieran Lee (being generous), Porter, Stephens, Tarkowski possibly you could even include Tierney. All were established first team regulars before they moved on for one reason or another and have been successful in varying degrees (Tarky I'm guessing a little bit but it seems the Brentford fans are impressed and he is already establishing himself at a club that is now in the Championship). Have any of the players that have gone from the youths for a big move managed to make a fist of it at a higher level in the last 5-10 years? I think you could have thrown Trotman into that as well if it wasn't for his injuries. Now you could say that those mentioned above are just better players than the likes of Spencer, Eaves and Danny P but I think a lot of it is down to getting game time and developing into more complete players who can effectively challenge for first team places at a higher level before moving on. To me young players are really badly advised when it comes to moving clubs early in their careers - if they're good enough the move will come and in the meantime they have a better chance to develop by staying put. I always find it disappointing when a young player moves on before we really see anything from them, more for the player than for ourselves as it's highly likely they will become just another number through the system of one of the Prem teams.