Ex players and that

It's taken over 40 years but Graeme Sharp's penalty against Leeds (?) is no longer the worst effort from the spot that I've ever seen. Thank you Bernardo Silva for erasing that from the record book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It's taken over 40 years but Graeme Sharp's penalty against Leeds (?) is no longer the worst effort from the spot that I've ever seen. Thank you Bernardo Silva for erasing that from the record book.

Ah, Sharpy..I wonder if he still thinks he should get the Everton manager's job? 

Yes, it was Leeds. It was "Only" 30 years ago - you're ageing us all, Dave!

Edited by JoeP

48 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Ah, Sharpy..I wonder if he still thinks he should get the Everton manager's job? 

Yes, it was Leeds. It was "Only" 30 years ago - you're ageing us all, Dave!

I think we watched it in a pub Blackfriars Station.  As I recall it barely reached the goalkeeper.

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I think we watched it in a pub Blackfriars Station.  As I recall it barely reached the goalkeeper.

I wonder if the person in the crowd trying to keep the ball blames themselves for having Silva over think it?.

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

He's had a good career but we have got to stop bringing in players in their late 20s/early 30s.

We are crying out for young, hungry and talented with something to prove. 

I agree to an extent but the problem with that is if they don’t hit the ground running they get written off as shit… Hammond. 

Just now, nzlatic said:

I agree to an extent but the problem with that is if they don’t hit the ground running they get written off as shit… Hammond. 

Hammond's got the best engine in that whole team, decent pace too, he's got heart, he doesn't go missing. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me next season.

In addition to the other qualities I listed you can add bottle.

But seriously, we definitely need to address the age and experience profile of our team. We need some athleticism, we need some pace.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Hammond's got the best engine in that whole team, decent pace too, he's got heart, he doesn't go missing. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me next season.

In addition to the other qualities I listed you can add bottle.

But seriously, we definitely need to address the age and experience profile of our team. We need some athleticism, we need some pace.

I like Hammond, for the reasons you’ve listed. But he’s come in for a fair bit of stick seemingly for not being the finished product. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Few rumours of David worrall coming back. His lad goes swimming with my lad. Was speaking to him a few weeks back said we tried signing in December. Wild blocked it. He knows Brabin and good mates with Conlon

Only 7 appearances for Barrow this season…if he’s a mate of Conlon he probably wouldn’t come anywhere near BP!

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I like Hammond, for the reasons you’ve listed. But he’s come in for a fair bit of stick seemingly for not being the finished product. 

At some point maybe people will work out we're in the fifth tier and pretty much anyone who plays for us will have rough edges, some reason they're not playing at a higher tier.

There's plenty of evidence that the current squad doesn't run enough, doesn't compete hard enough. Younger, fitter players with drive and desire should at least help solve that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

At some point maybe people will work out we're in the fifth tier and pretty much anyone who plays for us will have rough edges, some reason they're not playing at a higher tier.

There's plenty of evidence that the current squad doesn't run enough, doesn't compete hard enough. Younger, fitter players with drive and desire should at least help solve that. 

When MM signed 3 like that he still reverted to his old favourite failures, so it's not a good sign for the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Few rumours of David worrall coming back. His lad goes swimming with my lad. Was speaking to him a few weeks back said we tried signing in December. Wild blocked it. He knows Brabin and good mates with Conlon

I liked him but if I remember correctly he got dog's abuse here 10 years ago when he was 23/24. God help him at 34!

45 minutes ago, mick26 said:

I liked him but if I remember correctly he got dog's abuse here 10 years ago when he was 23/24. God help him at 34!

I cannot believe he is only 34, he’s been around for what seems like at least 20 years. I remember that he wasn’t a fan favourite here, but he had a long spell at Port Vale (probably where the Conlon connection comes from) and Southend and has had a decent League 1/2 career. 

Tend to agree that i’d like to see us reduce the age of the squad somewhat though, but it does seem like MM prefers experienced players with pedigree of playing higher. 

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Only 7 appearances for Barrow this season…if he’s a mate of Conlon he probably wouldn’t come anywhere near BP!

Wiki is wrong by stating 7 appearances. He made over 30 appearances for Barrow this season - but with a lot of them as a sub in the last 20 mins of games.

1 minute ago, astottie said:

Apologies if this is a live link and it changes but basically Joe Nuttal was quicker and more determined than anyone else. 😬And he'd already had one ruled out.

11 hours ago, astottie said:

Apologies if this is a live link and it changes but basically Joe Nuttal was quicker and more determined than anyone else. 😬And he'd already had one ruled out.

It’s typical Latics that we send an unwanted National League striker on loan to League One and he bags a couple and gets a couple of assists.

And in return we get a League One striker in on loan (Dallas) and he does the square root of fuck all - in a league that he bagged for fun last season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

It’s typical Latics that we send an unwanted National League striker on loan to League One and he bags a couple and gets a couple of assists.

And in return we get a League One striker in on loan (Dallas) and he does the square root of fuck all - in a league that he bagged for fun last season.

A reflection of how little we create from midfield, the way I see it.

Apparently Nuttall has been shit for the other 10-12 games he's played, by all accounts. One swallow etc.