Next Oldham Manager?

1 minute ago, Scapegoat said:

Well well well.

Clarence Seedorf is a massive name to be linked to a League One job, never mind us.

However trying to be sensible for a moment, he has no real management experience (and what he has is not successful), he has never played in England (i think), and being a great player has never really been a sign that you will be a great (or even half decent) manager.

You could argue that some of the other names on a practical point of view are better prospects.  Not sure what badges he has got etc.

But in the end you'd have to say sod it - and give him a go wouldn't you?

That said, Wellens comes across well, and if we didn't have 'investment' then I'd give him another game or two and then review.  He picks up 5-7 points out of the next 3 and you'd have to say he's done enough?

Seedorf and Wellens as his assistant. One to inspire, one to instruct. 

Simple. 

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for this, can't quite believe we are being linked to someone like this.

Although, if this did come off (massive if) then can we put a clause in his contract that he can't be our manager in the checatrade trophy? I mean for fuck sake, we can't have someone of his stature being subjected to the checkatrade trophy. ?

Have you lot gone stark raving bonkers? This is League 1 we are talking about-for the younger posters it was Division 3-yes 3. Other than being a great player what do you know about his managerial abilities and expect him to know about managing a poor-both financially and playing wise club?

This is the very future of the club you are talking about not some lottery style wish list but many still seem to think that because Sheridan was a very good player he could manage and that went well didn't it?

Yes it may sound exciting to be linked with the name but come on wake up and smell the coffee!!

This is brilliant!!! Haha!

Aside from the craziness of it all, I love listening to him when he's on the BBC for summer tournaments. Not only did he have interesting and original ideas on TV, the manner he put them across was very easy to follow and charismatic. This would translate very well to training sessions and tactical meetings.

5 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Have you lot gone stark raving bonkers? This is League 1 we are talking about-for the younger posters it was Division 3-yes 3. Other than being a great player what do you know about his managerial abilities and expect him to know about managing a poor-both financially and playing wise club?

This is the very future of the club you are talking about not some lottery style wish list but many still seem to think that because Sheridan was a very good player he could manage and that went well didn't it?

Yes it may sound exciting to be linked with the name but come on wake up and smell the coffee!!

If it doesn't work out we'll just bring Sheridan in at February time, chill. ;)

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I do like your user name and most of the stuff that you write, but sometimes you go all Grumpy Old Bastards !

3 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

I do like your user name and most of the stuff that you write, but sometimes you go all Grumpy Old Bastards !

I'm sorry, don't know what I was thinking of. I've gone back though it all again and Alan Stubbs or Darren Ferguson would be far safer bets, as they already know Serie C League 1. And, of course, Neil Warnock ticks all the right boxes...

18 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

If we are financially poor he won't be coming.

Sheridan was a very good player, but Seedorf was a world class player (and I've seen both live).

Were you in a coma until recently, Sheridan managed us brilliantly for 33 months over his various spells, 12 months of which were with worse squads than we have now. Seedorf being interviewed 3 days after Sheridan was sacked strikes me as though this was in the offing with the new investment.

Lots of very good players don't make good managers but when you look at World Class the ratio improves somewhat, I don't think that's coincidence.

Imagine the respect he'd command from players? It'd be outrageous. And I'm sure he'd have some pretty good contacts.

And for every Edgar Davids (Barnet), there's a JFH (Burton). 

Im bored out of my tits these days where Latics are concerned. If this came off, I'd be buzzing again. Yes it may well fail, but let's be honest we're only around the corner from failure anyway at the moment so may as well give it a go.

Plus, he won't be getting paid peanuts will he, so I'd imagine he'll have quite some cash to splash.

Edited by sjk2008

15 minutes ago, rigsby said:

All depends on the investment.

BTW the invesment side of things seems to have gone very quiet.

hmmmmmmmmm

Not it hasn't. The subject was talked about on BBC Radio Manchester on Monday - they've been looking at the accounts.

I imagine it's the FA/Football League slowing the process down as well.

Hopefully it will be done soon. ??

Edited by Latics_Fanatic