The Loanees

Back to the point.  Bryan, the one I want to keep, to a Championship side where he will spend most of his time kicking his heels, or to a 'bigger' league 1 club where he will play.  Byrne will leave and then could return at end January - it rather depends on what happens on the thing that has yet to be resolved.  Doyle will either be loaned to another club for a trial before they buy or be sold to another club.

If the thing that has yet to be resolved is resolved positively by mid January there will be another flood of the foreign legion with any of those who are here for which any other team wants on sale or loan going.  If the thing that has yet to be resolved is resolved negatively I suspect we will once again find ourselves in a fight for survival when the foreign legion depart with no replacements.  If the thing that has yet to be resolved just drags on your guess is as good as mine.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I can only see us keeping Byrne if we're paying all his wages because I reckon some of the teams who've seen him this season would be willing to. I've no idea what he's on but it must be several times our norm.

I've was told he's on £10k a week before he signed.

19 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I can only see us keeping Byrne if we're paying all his wages because I reckon some of the teams who've seen him this season would be willing to. I've no idea what he's on but it must be several times our norm.

Edited by latics22

2 hours ago, Hands on said:

Back to the point.  Bryan, the one I want to keep, to a Championship side where he will spend most of his time kicking his heels, or to a 'bigger' league 1 club where he will play.  Byrne will leave and then could return at end January - it rather depends on what happens on the thing that has yet to be resolved.  Doyle will either be loaned to another club for a trial before they buy or be sold to another club.

If the thing that has yet to be resolved is resolved positively by mid January there will be another flood of the foreign legion with any of those who are here for which any other team wants on sale or loan going.  If the thing that has yet to be resolved is resolved negatively I suspect we will once again find ourselves in a fight for survival when the foreign legion depart with no replacements.  If the thing that has yet to be resolved just drags on your guess is as good as mine.

Are you trying not to jinx, the thing that's not been resolved?

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

Even if the "thing that has yet to be resolved" as you put it isn't resolved before January their is nothing to actually stop him funding the club with some new signings. When Blitz Gazal and Corney intially bought the club in Feb 04 they were funding it for several months before hand to keep the business afloat.

I'm not saying its going to happen but they could all be signed on until the end of the season atleast without Lemsagam actually taking control of the club until after the window I'm pretty sure the likes of Doyle Byrne and Bryan would not have been signed in the first place without somekind of financial input from him. 

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

My New Years resolution is to resolve to find out what has not been resolved yet. I'm reserving the right to be resolute, as this resonates with me. The mystery thing to be resolved should be resolvable if I  resort to resourcefulness.

2 hours ago, singe said:

My New Years resolution is to resolve to find out what has not been resolved yet. I'm reserving the right to be resolute, as this resonates with me. The mystery thing to be resolved should be resolvable if I  resort to resourcefulness.

If that fails just pretend like everyone you’re in the know 

Let's not forget we can replace them with other loanees.

You'd imagine Bryan's situation would be the one that could be resolved the quickest. If Doyle is going to stay that might be doable quickly too.

Byrne is the tricky one if Wigan do want rid as it could drag on all month. 

How long would you want us to hang on for him with the Ripley debacle in mind? 

It pains me to say it but I'd rather we acted quickly on the assumption getting him back won't happen...

8 hours ago, singe said:

Resuscitation required

48 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Let's not forget we can replace them with other loanees.

You'd imagine Bryan's situation would be the one that could be resolved the quickest. If Doyle is going to stay that might be doable quickly too.

Byrne is the tricky one if Wigan do want rid as it could drag on all month. 

How long would you want us to hang on for him with the Ripley debacle in mind? 

It pains me to say it but I'd rather we acted quickly on the assumption getting him back won't happen...

Unless of course  Bristol City offer Bryan  a 2 and half year contract ....ditto somebody with Doyle ....".

3 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

That's simply not true.

Do you know for a fact? It’s plausible - given a 3 and a half year deal, signed from Man City with European experience by a Championship side known to spend well on players. Some City EDS players are probably on that much. 

Edited by jorvik_latic

Jack Byrne in Irish edition of Sunday Times today: “I want to keep playing football so it could come down to whether the two clubs can reach agreement. Or somebody else could come in or Wigan could want me back, I don’t know. Nobody from Wigan has spoken to me, so until I get that call I can’t comment”. 

Not exactly an owtb/world exclusive I admit - but I thought I’d post it anyway. 

8 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

Jack Byrne in Irish edition of Sunday Times today: “I want to keep playing football so it could come down to whether the two clubs can reach agreement. Or somebody else could come in or Wigan could want me back, I don’t know. Nobody from Wigan has spoken to me, so until I get that call I can’t comment”. 

Not exactly an owtb/world exclusive I admit - but I thought I’d post it anyway. 

While that doesn't give a conclusive answer for where he's heading, I found it to be an interesting insight.

I think the club is a nice place for our best players to be at the moment, the majority of the credit for that has to go to Wellens and it's a sign of how good a job he's doing.

But when it comes to the tangibles we are always going to have a disadvantage when it comes to attracting or permanently keeping players who are performing well at this level.  Mainly because the teams who we are competing with in terms of wages are able to offer money that are not far of what's normal in the Championship.  I'd say that the only side in the top 8 of the league who we could match for wages would be Shrewsbury, they rest would probably be able to offer double for a player they would consider essential.

During our time in League One the best managers who have been able to attract a higher calibre of player than I would expect us to get have been Dickov and Johnson.  Both had the gift of the gab to convince players to sign, the difference being that Johnson has gone on to prove that he can back it up with managerial and coaching ability much more than Dickov can.  Hopefully Wellens can sell the club as well as those two did, because he certainly has the managerial and coaching ability to back it up.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

The style of football we play will help to attract some of the better younger players, perhaps not doyle and Byrne, but it is a factor for many young players 

RW has alluded to that twice in his last press conference! .. he says that players are noticing how the team plays and they are calling him asking to play for us! That could bode well in January irrespective of any money coming I think.

1 hour ago, thetramfixer said:

RW has alluded to that twice in his last press conference! .. he says that players are noticing how the team plays and they are calling him asking to play for us! That could bode well in January irrespective of any money coming I think.

It is a big contributor for players these days 

I'd rather us just sign Doyle and Byrne in January and nobody else and take the chance that they won't get injured - they haven't so far. 

If they both go we'll probably bring in 4 or 5 and, in all likelihood, only one or two of them will turn out any good. And, even then, probably not as good as Doyle and Byrne. 

Would the cost of doing that - agents, signing on fees, wages - be massively different from what Byrne and Doyle would cost?

Even if it was, but was still doable, both would represent a very good, low risk investment who could be sold on at a profit in the summer if need be....

Obviously, if it can't be done it can't be done but, provided the takeover is finalised I'm hopeful it will be.