5 hours ago, palmer1 said:

The Duck who gets some fans excited is a headless chicken who still hasn't done a great deal barring 10 minutes against Blackburn....as predicted! ? full of potential but ultimately frustrating.

Or his run from the halfway line to make our first goal yesterday..... 

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Nah, because he scuffed his kick it counts for nothing that he terrified the defence, beat a few men and got in a position that meant we ended up scoring

9 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

It isnt a whinge, ii merely highlighted an obvious difference in technique. I like Davies. He works his arse off and I for one am glad that he is ours.

They are both apples. (Strikers) One is a Granny Smith, the other a golden delicious

If Davies was ill it does explain his lack of power yesterday.

I assume now we have state of the art scientific monitoring equipment the machine passed him fit to play?

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If Davies was ill it does explain his lack of power yesterday.

I assume now we have state of the art scientific monitoring equipment the machine passed him fit to play?

There were worse players out there than one of our goal scorers. I didn’t even realise your boy DG was playing till near half time. At least Davies does not hide when he’s not playing well and is always capable of grabbing us a goal. Him and Doyle are a fantastic partnership in this league and I can’t wait for them to pick up where they left off. 

59 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Already covered this Harry! Just before his very badly miss hit shot that Davies turned into an 'assist'

He won't have even seen Davies! 

Quite a few goals are scored from mishit shots and crosses at our level. The thing I like about the lad is he doesn't hide, is always looking for the ball and runs forward at every opportunity. He's not got the power of a Davies or Holloway, the guile and finishing ability of Doyle but if he keeps picking the ball up and running at defenders he's a useful asset. It really doesn't matter if someone's pass is intentional or not if it results in a goal.

There’s a bit of a strange obsession with players being useless unless they’re complete. 

Fane - don’t care he’s a ball winner, he’s poor technically

Byrne - don’t care he’s a big threat going forward, his tackling back is rubbish

Davies - don’t care he’s our top scorer and scored more goals than most strikers for years. He looks lazy. 

Nazon - don’t care he offers a different threat with his direct running at defenders, he doesn’t score enough

Its a team game. If the team is doing well then the inadequacies of individuals isn’t that big deal. Currently we’re on a good run. Hope it continues. 

39 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

There’s a bit of a strange obsession with players being useless unless they’re complete. 

Byrne - don’t care he’s a big threat going forward, his tackling back is rubbish

Davies - don’t care he’s our top scorer and scored more goals than most strikers for years. He looks lazy. 

Nazon - don’t care he offers a different threat with his direct running at defenders, he doesn’t score enough

Its a team game. If the team is doing well then the inadequacies of individuals isn’t that big deal. Currently we’re on a good run. Hope it continues. 

Correct - we are five unbeaten at the moment and still the focus remains on nit picking rather than an appreciation for the run we are on, in truth we were out played for most of the game Saturday yet still escaped with a point despite giving Bury a two goal start, I'm happy for that sort of run to continue because it should see us safe, prior to the last five game run I would of snapped your hand off if you'd of offered me 8 or 9 points the fact we are now five unbeaten with 11 out of 15 points shows the teams moving in the right direction and that will do for me.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

We are only 2 points above the relegation places. Some of us have higher standards.

After being in this division for 20 odd years, some fans accept crap.

The bottom of the league team battered us for 30 minutes and outplayed us over 90.

33 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

We are only 2 points above the relegation places. Some of us have higher standards.

The bottom of the league team battered us for 30 minutes and outplayed us over 90.

Or - When not playing well,  we showed character to come back from two down, away from home against a team who were playing well. 

Appreciating our direction of travel and the potential in the manager and the squad is not accepting crap.

34 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Get off your high horse.  You're arguing against a point I haven't made.

I'm not saying criticisms aren't warranted, or that I'm happy with our position (although I suspect you know that). I'm saying that repeatedly pointing out that some of our players aren't perfect isn't necessary. To the point where the first goal on Saturday has almost been discounted because Nazon didn't finish his great run with a blast into the top corner.  Nor did Davies precede his tap in with a solo dribble from half way.

Since Wellens fielded this starting 11 for the first time in this run against Bradford we've won 3 and drawn 2.  And one of those draws came against a team in decent form when we played appallingly for large parts of it. That's a good run, and if we keep that up we'll be fine.  Then there's Doyle to come back in too.  The key is producing a settled team that can keep that up over the course of a season, something we haven't managed in a long time.  Then it doesn't matter if each individual has flaws (see Shrewsbury and Bury).

2 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

I have no interest in having higher standards if it makes me that negative.  It's no fun whatsoever and overrated.

We're only 2 points above the drop zone due to the bad planning and indecision in the transfer windows.  The team that we had for the 2nd quarter of the season is the team we've had for the last 5 games and will have for the rest of the season.  Barring some dramatic turn of events I'm not worried about this squad's ability to win enough games to be safe.

Outplayed by bottom of the league?  Doesn't matter.  We outplayed Scunthorpe who were in the playoffs.  Doesn't matter either.  This league is close enough that anyone can outplay anyone else on any given day.

My expectations about our future due to the new ownership will be raised at the start of next season, because this season is all about coming through the volatility that the handover has produced.

Nazon looks dangerous away from home for an hour. Hardly noticed him in a home game. Doyle in starting on Saturday though please.

Davies has been pretty awful for a few weeks now and scored 1 in those 5 unbeaten games (1 in last 8 in all). Doyle/Holloway have managed as many from the bench. Him scoring a scruffy goal at the weekend doesnt change the fact he has had an off period recently. I understand hes scored a fair few already this season, but that in no way should guarantee him a starting spot. Id reluctantly give him a couple of games up top with Doyle, see if he sharpens up, but otherwise Id be looking to Holloway to start.

7 minutes ago, youngen said:

Nazon looks dangerous away from home for an hour. Hardly noticed him in a home game. Doyle in starting on Saturday though please.

Davies has been pretty awful for a few weeks now and scored 1 in those 5 unbeaten games (1 in last 8 in all). Doyle/Holloway have managed as many from the bench. Him scoring a scruffy goal at the weekend doesnt change the fact he has had an off period recently. I understand hes scored a fair few already this season, but that in no way should guarantee him a starting spot. Id reluctantly give him a couple of games up top with Doyle, see if he sharpens up, but otherwise Id be looking to Holloway to start.

I was hoping that if we have learnt anything so far this season, it is that Holloway should not be starting a game. IMO he is much better used coming off the bench against tiring defenders.

20 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I have no interest in having higher standards if it makes me that negative.  It's no fun whatsoever and overrated.

We're only 2 points above the drop zone due to the bad planning and indecision in the transfer windows.  The team that we had for the 2nd quarter of the season is the team we've had for the last 5 games and will have for the rest of the season.  Barring some dramatic turn of events I'm not worried about this squad's ability to win enough games to be safe.

Outplayed by bottom of the league?  Doesn't matter.  We outplayed Scunthorpe who were in the playoffs.  Doesn't matter either.  This league is close enough that anyone can outplay anyone else on any given day.

My expectations about our future due to the new ownership will be raised at the start of next season, because this season is all about coming through the volatility that the handover has produced.

I must say that the nitpicking over individual's performances on here is mindblowingly petty. In life I've always tried to put a positive spin on things, it makes the day to day crap that pops up that bit easier to endure. When I was working I tried to see the funny side of most situations, it makes for a happier life. Some posters on here might try it because I wouldn't look forwards to turning up on Monday mornings to face some of the Jonahs on here ! 

37 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I must say that the nitpicking over individual's performances on here is mindblowingly petty. In life I've always tried to put a positive spin on things, it makes the day to day crap that pops up that bit easier to endure. When I was working I tried to see the funny side of most situations, it makes for a happier life. Some posters on here might try it because I wouldn't look forwards to turning up on Monday mornings to face some of the Jonahs on here ! 

I take it you don't like RWs public criticism of Gerrard?

55 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I was hoping that if we have learnt anything so far this season, it is that Holloway should not be starting a game. IMO he is much better used coming off the bench against tiring defenders.

Alternatively, you could say Davies shouldn't start  against fresh defenders?

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

If I am honest I enjoyed Doyle up front on his own for the spell, with Byrne just behind him. Especially if this Mclenay is half decent to slot into the wing role.

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I take it you don't like RWs public criticism of Gerrard?

It's within the manager's remit to praise or criticize his players and, as far as I'm concerned, supporters as well. What I find hard to take is the dissection of individual players performances after each and every match by people who attend ? We are where and what we are and to expect international type performances from players at our level can only lead to inevitable disappointment.    

10 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's within the manager's remit to praise or criticize his players and, as far as I'm concerned, supporters as well. What I find hard to take is the dissection of individual players performances after each and every match by people who attend ? We are where and what we are and to expect international type performances from players at our level can only lead to inevitable disappointment.    

Got to disagree with this. Is it not perfectly reasonable to examine how a player performs in every match-that's what I pay my money for. As for performing to international standards-it would be nice but I do not expect that BUT I do expect players to perform to a standard. 

Some that are in the team now are not good enough-some are better than League 1 standard. What I do expect now is Wellens to improve this team for next year if he is still in charge.

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Got to disagree with this. Is it not perfectly reasonable to examine how a player performs in every match-that's what I pay my money for. As for performing to international standards-it would be nice but I do not expect that BUT I do expect players to perform to a standard. 

Some that are in the team now are not good enough-some are better than League 1 standard. What I do expect now is Wellens to improve this team for next year if he is still in charge.

Agree with you about all this but do object to people continually whinging and nitpicking over ( usually their boo-boy's ) individual perceived mistakes. Somebody even highlighted the fact that Nazon's assist on Saturday was somehow invalid because it was a mishit shot. For the record I think Wellens will get it right after a full pre-season with this group of players, most of whom I think are up to the task of reaching the play-offs.   

34 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

That’s not how it works.

Not sure what you mean Monty?

Should or shouldn't a manager criticise individual players in public?

Fans will do it anyway.

Archived