29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Gardner does a lot of running. Maybe even more than him. And can sit infront of the back 4 why do we need fane, just get Gardner to be more disciplined 

But Gardner is nowhere near as effective as Fane in nicking the ball and breaking up play.

Fane does what he does very well. As soon as he has won the ball his next thought should be to lay it off to the nearest blue shirt. My only issue is that as soon as he gets booked in a game, he is no longer as effective and from that point on , as some have said, he is a red card walking.

If Wellens can find someone to do the Fane role and bring more to the game then the team can only benefit.

Biggest game in years. So nervous. Already need a whiskey and i’m not a huge drinker at football.

Cash on turnstiles for anyone interested and my mate rang Rochdale ticket office despite saying reserved seating on the tickets...its unreserved in away end

29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

But Gardner is nowhere near as effective as Fane in nicking the ball and breaking up play.

If Wellens can find someone to do the Fane role and bring more to the game then the team can only benefit.

How do you know that? Gardner has a completely different brief which takes him all over the pitch and he needs to be constructive in those positions.

It is about time that Wellens grew a pair and selected Gardner to play in the sitting role which would allow Byrne to play behind the front 2.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Gardner does a lot of running. Maybe even more than him. And can sit infront of the back 4 why do we need fane, just get Gardner to be more disciplined 

For 60 minutes, then he's fucked. And for all that running he can't tackle for shit. And about half his passes miss their target.

Get Southgate on the blower quick.

16 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

How do you know that? Gardner has a completely different brief which takes him all over the pitch and he needs to be constructive in those positions.

It is about time that Wellens grew a pair and selected Gardner to play in the sitting role which would allow Byrne to play behind the front 2.

In a pre season game Shez played Gardner in a deep libero style role, he was very effective, and it enabled him bring  other midfielders into play and ping the ball to both flanks. I think it may suit the team, but RW I  feel won't drop Fane now. 

Besides, coaches these days go by the book and use modern systems, even when they don't work. 

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

In a pre season game Shez played Gardner in a deep libero style role, he was very effective, and it enabled him bring  other midfielders into play and ping the ball to both flanks. I think it may suit the team, but RW I  feel won't drop Fane now. 

Besides, coaches these days go by the book and use modern systems, even when they don't work. 

You could have stopped at pre season game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

How is it embarrassing. Name a player who you have seen that is unable to pass the ball and his technique is beyond awful. When he runs with the ball and even attempts a shot it goes closer to the corner flag. Don’t get me wrong I will be supporting him tonight, but I think anyone could run around like he does. If you have played football yourself you would see that you have probably played with players with better passing ability than him. It’s not embarrassing it is fact that Fane is shite at football 

You ever played football? Having someone who can break up play like him is a huge weight off other shoulders. Don’t think there is a player that will cover anywhere near as much ground as him. Just because he isn’t drilling in goals and spraying 40 yard passes doesn’t mean he isn’t effective in what he does for the team. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I had to read this post a number of times to determine whether you believe that Fane should not be playing professional football or whether you believe that he is a vital part of the team who deserves the accolade of Player of the Season. ?

Let me just read it again....Nope...still cannot work it out. ?

I am not sure myself. I don't think he is anything like a footballer. The argument that he protects the back 4 doesn't really wash with me due to our poor defensive record. He can't pass a ball. But he has still probably been our most consistent performer this season. Says more about the rest of the shits than anything else really...

Gardner is so much of a better player than Fane it's not even funny...I think he should be deeper like BP mentioned him being in pre season, but he's told "Dan, Run fucking everywhere". 

The fane argument will never end, I agree Gardner sometimes tries too much and his passing can be wayward at times, but christ at least he can make a 5 yard pass. He is a footballer. 

Though oddly, I do agree with Lee Sinnott that Fane is probably player of the season...just due to consistency and doing his sole job of tackling well.

Still if we stay up and want to make a push for something higher than a relegation battle/lower league finish next year, Fane should not be in the starting 11. He makes no current top 6 team, no chance. 

He may win the tackle. but he literally SHITS himself and wants to try and get rid of it as quickly as possible. 

His decision making in the final 3rd is laughable, Multiple occasions he turns round and just runs backwards as he doesn't have a scoobies what to do.

Anyway onto tonight...I don't have a good feeling. Think the atmosphere will be incredible but for some reason I fear a 2-0 defeat :/  

49 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

You ever played football? Having someone who can break up play like him is a huge weight off other shoulders. Don’t think there is a player that will cover anywhere near as much ground as him. Just because he isn’t drilling in goals and spraying 40 yard passes doesn’t mean he isn’t effective in what he does for the team. 

As soon as you start saying that he is not Messi you lose the argument.  And yes we have all played football-some of us as badly as Fanny.

45 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

This where I disagree with this discussion about Fane. Having him in the side puts a huge weight on the others shoulders as he is such a limited player. Gardner is running around like a scalded cat doing the work to cover for Fane-I bet if we recorded distance Gardner covers as much if not more ground than Fane.

Your other points-well he plays midfield and is what 6' 4"" has he had a headed attempt at goal ALL season-he does get in the box for corners you know. Has he had a shot on goal ALL season? Can he see or pass a ball properly? All probably NO.

Just to end-some now consider him as Player of the season because he is consistently crap-unbelievable.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

How is it embarrassing. Name a player who you have seen that is unable to pass the ball and his technique is beyond awful. When he runs with the ball and even attempts a shot it goes closer to the corner flag. Don’t get me wrong I will be supporting him tonight, but I think anyone could run around like he does. If you have played football yourself you would see that you have probably played with players with better passing ability than him. It’s not embarrassing it is fact that Fane is shite at football 

He is able to pass a ball ( just about)

Who would you put in there to tackle and break up play? He is the only we have who puts a foot in.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

For 60 minutes, then he's fucked. And for all that running he can't tackle for shit. And about half his passes miss their target.

Get Southgate on the blower quick.

He is a third division footballer. He is being played in the wrong position. 

1 minute ago, welshgaz said:

Who would you put in there to tackle and break up play? He is the only we have who puts a foot in.

Have you bothered reading the rest of this thread?     Let me see, initials are DG, used to play for Chesterfield, does a cruyff turn. Let me think now.

6 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

He is a third division footballer. He is being played in the wrong position. 

Have you bothered reading the rest of this thread?     Let me see, initials are DG, used to play for Chesterfield, does a cruyff turn. Let me think now.

DG presses and puts loads of effort in but isn't a natural ball winner.

55 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Gardner is so much of a better player than Fane it's not even funny...I think he should be deeper like BP mentioned him being in pre season, but he's told "Dan, Run fucking everywhere". 

The fane argument will never end, I agree Gardner sometimes tries too much and his passing can be wayward at times, but christ at least he can make a 5 yard pass. He is a footballer. 

Though oddly, I do agree with Lee Sinnott that Fane is probably player of the season...just due to consistency and doing his sole job of tackling well.

Still if we stay up and want to make a push for something higher than a relegation battle/lower league finish next year, Fane should not be in the starting 11. He makes no current top 6 team, no chance. 

He may win the tackle. but he literally SHITS himself and wants to try and get rid of it as quickly as possible. 

His decision making in the final 3rd is laughable, Multiple occasions he turns round and just runs backwards as he doesn't have a scoobies what to do.

Anyway onto tonight...I don't have a good feeling. Think the atmosphere will be incredible but for some reason I fear a 2-0 defeat :/  

DG has a marginally better goal record than Fane, I'll give you that one.

38 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

There'd be less play to break up if we had an extra midfielder who could create more play of our own, keep the ball, have the opposition on the back foot...

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Yeah I have for a well regarded football academy who is a premishership side now. I fully appreciate the holding midfield role as that’s the position I personally played. Yes breaking up play is imprantant but he slows everything down with his passing. He’s a awful footballer who breaks up play. 

28 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

DG presses and puts loads of effort in but isn't a natural ball winner.

Xabi Alonso "'Tackling is not really a quality, it's more something you are forced to resort to when you don't have the ball,'"

Does this apply more or less to lower league football where the opposition are shite? 

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

....that is, sadly, spot on!