30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yeah I have for a well regarded football academy who is a premishership side now. I fully appreciate the holding midfield role as that’s the position I personally played. Yes breaking up play is imprantant but he slows everything down with his passing. He’s a awful footballer who breaks up play. 

‘He’s an awful footballer who breaks up play’ not one other player in the midfield is capable of doing that,winning a header or sticking a boot in. As limited as he is without him I think we would already be down purely because no one else can do what he does. Which says a lot about how poor our recruitment has been. 

The Fane conundrum: been done to death now so let’s agree that there are differing opinions on his ability/value to the team etc. 

As as long as Wellens picks him, then he must be doing something right. When Richie no longer picks him or needs him in the team then he will have found either someone better or he will have changed his system of play. Until then give him and the team 100% backing and hope that they in turn put in 100% effort.

Now... let’s get back on topic: Rochdale. A draw would probably suit both sides...

46 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

There'd be less play to break up if we had an extra midfielder who could create more play of our own, keep the ball, have the opposition on the back foot...

True we could adopt the Pep philosophy of having the ball all the time.

11 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

‘He’s an awful footballer who breaks up play’ not one other player in the midfield is capable of doing that,winning a header or sticking a boot in. As limited as he is without him I think we would already be down purely because no one else can do what he does.

How can you possibly say that with any certainty?     We have never played without him!  Let us see what we are like with 11 'footballers' on the pitch

1 hour ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Really dreading tonight, not as confident as I should be going into a game against dogdale.. Lose and its an uphill task to avoid trips to Grimsby and Tranmere

Tranmere are in the national league, albeit with a chance of promotion in the play offs.

5 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Fane will boss this game tonight, break up dales attacks and run the midfield with his energy and great defence splitting passes. ... :o 

and hopefully score the winner with a diving header in the last 5 minutes. :pow:

Edited by ChaddySmoker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

There'd be less play to break up if we had an extra midfielder who could create more play of our own, keep the ball, have the opposition on the back foot...

He is amazing at breaking up play ! He breaks up our own play enough. We need someone who can do the dirty work and then also have a clue what to do once they’ve got the ball , as opposed to giving it straight back. I’ve tried to like him. I respect him for his effort. But he’s just shit isn’t he ? 

20 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

True we could adopt the Pep philosophy of having the ball all the time.

Watch how hard the likes of city and Barcelona used to work to get the ball back. Pep used to have a 4 second press when they lost the ball. If the others players weve got worked their arses off to win back the ball and press we wouldnt have Fane in the team.

5 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

He is amazing at breaking up play ! He breaks up our own play enough. We need someone who can do the dirty work and then also have a clue what to do once they’ve got the ball , as opposed to giving it straight back. I’ve tried to like him. I respect him for his effort. But he’s just shit isn’t he ? 

Nobody bothers with Fane when he has the ball. They just mark Byrne. Guaranteed to get the ball before it reaches him. 

If Fane could learn to use that space and conjure up an end product, we would have a superstar.

Just now, L1onheartNew said:

Nobody bothers with Fane when he has the ball. They just mark Byrne. Guaranteed to get the ball before it reaches him.

Very, very good point.

Strangest thing with Fane is, again I'm almost descending into "Fane bashing", but I really, really like him and think he could be very good if we can develop him. 

I just think something different needs trying from time to time, especially when results are poor. 

I wouldn't want us to stick with Doyle unconditionally if he went too long without scoring... 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Xabi Alonso "'Tackling is not really a quality, it's more something you are forced to resort to when you don't have the ball,'"

Does this apply more or less to lower league football where the opposition are shite? 

Obviously very true but to add to this the words that Pep Guardiola said to Leo Messi at Barcelona "Its all very good being the best on the ball, you have to be best without the ball too, the opposition must be offered no way out a possesion game begins with you having the ball in the first place"

20 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Obviously very true but to add to this the words that Pep Guardiola said to Leo Messi at Barcelona "Its all very good being the best on the ball, you have to be best without the ball too, the opposition must be offered no way out a possesion game begins with you having the ball in the first place"

Didn't Robinson have a banner on Little Wembley saying much the same - to much derision?

39 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I wouldn't want us to stick with Doyle unconditionally if he went too long without scoring... 

If he's too long about it we'll have run out of games.

More seriously, I am hoping that Henderson is a big miss for Rochdale and that could be the difference.  

46 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Didn't Robinson have a banner on Little Wembley saying much the same - to much derision?

It said be the best team without the ball which is all well and good obviously, but we were so rubbish with the ball under him that we had to sack him.

We are probably slightly too far the other way now where when we lose the ball we are not very good collectively at winning it back and we dont press teams well enough.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Is that narcissistic scumbag Henderson available if they have lodged a ridiculously frivolous red card appeal?  That would be very annoying.  Clear red, but in their interests to lodge an appeal if it means he doesn’t miss possibly THE most important game they have left.