28 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

After 30 mins of this game, in my eyes, VAR will kill football. Stop start. Ref not trusting his own decision on anything. First Spurs goal should have stood so they still got it wrong. It's embarrassing.

Disallowing the scored penalty was the correct decision though - Son stopped for too long in his run up  ?

and that was without referral to VAR so kudos to the referee.

Edited by TheBigDog

Just now, TheBigDog said:

If VAR is available then every goal and penalty incident must be reviewed - so he’s not really been allowed to do so.

This is probably where VAR is getting it wrong right now perhaps going down a cricket route of each team only having 3 decisions they can review (maybe less in footballs case) 

Also most big stadiums have big screens surely you can us those (or any scoreboard for that matter) to communicate the decision.

Stick with it just make it better.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Disallowing the scored penalty was the correct decision though - Son stopped for too long in his run up  ?

and that was without referral to VAR so kudos to the referee.

Arguably encroachment happened first... so you could make a case for retaking the pen.  

So so if he had referred to VAR perhaps a retake would have been ordered.

edit. Finally, someone (Chris Foy) mentions the encroachment. 

Edited by kowenicki

51 minutes ago, Senor_Coconut said:

It needs to be a challenge system like they have in tennis

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

And cricket.

Both of those sports deal in black and whites. Did it touch the line? Is it going to hit the stumps? etc

Most of these decisions in football are so subjective, was the contact enough to be a foul etc I can’t see how it’ll work at all. Irrespective of challenge systems or any other way of doing it. Unless the decision in question is a simple and obvious yes/no (eg goal line tech) then it won’t work. 

And thats before even discussing how it effects the flow of the game. Cricket and tennis both have a dead ball then time where play is stopped after every rally/ball. Football can go minutes without a stoppage. 

• Like 1

As usual I'm contrary and actually like it.

There are teething troubles but these will be ironed out, does show how hard being a ref or lino actually is, they usually get most things right and if the technology is able to assist get more decisions right then I'm all for it. I don't even mind the delay, it needs the TV commentators to stop whinging and going on about the time it takes, sometimes the decision isn't clear cut even after multiple replays and I'd rather get correct decisions then not. Perhaps it would benefit from an 'Umpire's call' thing where even after several views of replays the VAR ref can't 100% guarantee the correct decisions it goes back to the decision the on pitch ref made? Maybe with a time limit? 

They do seem to have jumped in with both feet in this though, rather than maybe a more gradual approach of starting with offsides/goals after the ball has been near going out of play, then move on to positions of fouls around the penalty area.

Judging fouls and such seem a fair step forward from a standing start.

I agree with DRS in cricket and the video umpiring in tennis as that is always stop-start, but it still kills momentum for team running games such as AFL and NRL here in oz. It will always be divisive if not decisive. 

I enjoy singing "the referee's a wanker".

Video killed the referee slur.  

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

The genie is out of the bottle now so it is here to stay, biggest issue at the moment (and the easiest to resolve) is people in ground not knowing what is going on.

The people in the ground know there is a football game going on.

Stop the fannying around with all this new technology, and just let the ref make his decisions either rightly or wrongly, its part of the game and the discussions after.

• Like 1

Even if they're shown the replays on the tv in the ground and explained what has happened, half of the people watching still probably won't agree.

How many video ref decisions in other sports are about something subjective? A matter of personal opinion?  Even in rugby (league or union) what do they check for?  Isn't it more often going to be foot in touch, forward pass or knock on?  Straight forward decisions usually as long as there aren't 50 bodies obscuring the view.

Even the offside law the way it is now would make a video call difficult as there's ambiguity over whether someone is interfering with play.  I'd much rather focus on referee training, dealing with the cheating of players and abuse/back chat to refs on the pitch and by managers. Mike them up, punish disrespect etc, make their job a bit easier.