If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

I read Simon Jordans book a while back mad Crystal Palace fan who put in a substantial part of his wealth into the club, he said his heart over ruled his head at times because of being a fan he made lots of mistakes whilst learning but the biggest in hindsight by a significant margin was his bad appointment of managers they he did not realize it at the time, but by appointing rookie managers on a consistent basis is doomed to fail especially when they are learning the ropes and making mistakes plus inheriting a team that had previously nearly been relegated.

The irony this looks like it is coming to fruition when hope was on the horizon and we might have a few quid to spend on the squad and look forward to a season of hope rather than despair KTF. 

Draws, of course is the other problem.

3 goals, to convert draws into victories would have seen us safe now.

But more stark, is how many came just above us. Not suggesting gungho, but a little more positive.

You can, of course, argue a case for slim margins, but we've rarely looked like playing may teams of the park of late.

PS Does anyone know why I cannot get the Drag files here to attach or Choose Files either png or jpg, but pasting a twitter link automatically converts?

Would Scholes have done any better than Wellens?
I seriously doubt it.

If Wellens does go at the end of the season, then the club should definitely attempt to go with experience, if possible.
It all depends on who wants the job or if Lemsagam already has someone in mind.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Would Scholes have done any better than Wellens?
I seriously doubt it.

If Wellens does go at the end of the season, then the club should definitely attempt to go with experience, if possible.
It all depends on who wants the job or if Lemsagam already has someone in mind.

Probably not, but he’d command more respect I’m sure, especially from Byrne.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

If that was to be the the case, then Byrne...and any other player...would deserve a good kick up the arse.

Don’t you think he deserves one already?

The lad is a bad egg and probably why City, Blackburn and Wigan all got rid.

If he turns up he’s fucking class. If he doesn’t it’s like we’re playing with 10 men.

1 minute ago, oafc_lover said:

Don’t you think he deserves one already?

The lad is a bad egg and probably why City, Blackburn and Wigan all got rid.

If he turns up he’s fucking class. If he doesn’t it’s like we’re playing with 10 men.

Yes, he does deserve one already.
Do we describe his talents as "Mercurial" or is he just a spoilt brat who needs more than a few home truths?

He's completely mismanaged Byrne. He's 21, not got a load of senior experience, and Wellens has just got it wrong with him.

Like LeeSinnott said in Jan, he was treating him like a jilted ex, then dropping him, playing him out of position. 

He's class, stick him at number 10 and build a team around him. 

4 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

He's completely mismanaged Byrne. He's 21, not got a load of senior experience, and Wellens has just got it wrong with him.

Like LeeSinnott said in Jan, he was treating him like a jilted ex, then dropping him, playing him out of position. 

Might be the case next season, unless Byrne wants out.

I’m a no. He has had two chances. The first he passed with flying colours and was given the job. Sadly since then it has gone from good to bad to worse. I don’t blame him for the players we have but only the way he has used them. Falling out with Clarke and shipping him out without a replacement is what is costing us now.  Last night with a young defence he should have looked to protect them - not only down the middle but wide as well. He doesn’t seem able to get the best out of Byrne, culpable for their first goal, or Doyle.  Both want the ball to feet. We are not done yet but either way his time should be up. 

30 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Yep but then what do you do with Doyle? 

Agree that Byrne should be played as a 10 and given licence to roam and provide passes to play forwards in. Wellens realistically has 2 games to save his job and quite possibly his managerial career as any rookie manager with a relegation on their CV will struggle to land another job.

he either reverts to the formation that brought him success which is 4–4–2 with Byrne given freedom and allowed to wander which makes that formation a 4-3-3 or try and provide some defensive stability and play 3-5-2 with moimbe as LWB and either Hunt or Hamer at RWB. Personally would play Hamer there as he’s a better crosser of a ball than Hunt

Im as pissed off as everyone else after last nights result but the positives are we continue to make chances although we ship goals for fun, can honestly see us putting 4 or 5 past someone maybe too little too late though 

and remains to be seen whether we could concede less than we score 

Is Byrne really playing anywhere different to where he is been all season? The way people are going on you'd think he'd been shoved out on the touchline.

For all his defensive deficiencies we have really missed Dummigan going forward.

Edited by deyres42

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

One player doesn't get a team relegated and it's common consensus he's been the best midfielder during the slump and put a full shift in - unlike some others.

He's absolutely fucking shite.

Non-league footballer.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Wellens thinks Gardner is Championship class..however, I bow to your better judgement.

Wellens also seems to think Byrne is a wide midfielder. I’m leaning towards JSS on this one BP. I don’t think he’s good enough. Tbf I can’t fault his effort in closing down etc, just think he lacks any real quality. When was the last time he had a decent shot in a match too ? I’d be looking to get rid. 

10 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Gardner became ball winner? You having a laugh. Up their as one of the biggest shithouses in this awful team. 

Gardner got relegated with chesterfield and that is the standard we are at.

Dont think I have ever felt so confident on relegation when our players aren’t even willing to change for a 50/50. Byrne jumped out of the way every time one came to him last night. No wonder the crowd were on their backs. 

And you probably stand up and clap and cheer as Fanny stumbles past a couple of half challenges before falling over on top of the ball.

Gardner in centre mid winning the ball and running forwards with it with Byrne as No 10 where he doesnt have to make a tackle.

Wellens needs to grow a pair to stand any chance of getting us the 2 wins.

To be fair if we get relegated Wellens and 90% of the contracted playing squad can go for me, I'd keep a couple of the young lads and fuck the rest off, problem is there wouldn't be many takers and that goes for Byrne as well, no time for the lad despite him having more ability than the rest of our midfield put together, in it for himself and gives zero fucks about who he upsets along the way.

8 hours ago, jsslatic said:

Dan Gardner in the Championship :lol::lol::lol:

To be fair to Wellens I’m pretty sure he said that Gardner could be championship standard. Something to do with him doing the complicated stuff well but not the simple stuff and if he improved that he was capable of playing in the championship. 

Think it was something along those lines.