Squad movements, summer 2018

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

would love to see some stats to back that up rather than just the standard line trotted out year on year. Back in the day we always finished the season strong even with nothing to play for.

I'm pretty sure we've more or less packed it in after getting to safety the last few years 

12 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

would love to see some stats to back that up rather than just the standard line trotted out year on year. Back in the day we always finished the season strong even with nothing to play for.

2015/2016 season we were safe with 2 games to go, our last 2 matches were away at Millwall lost 3-0 and at home to Coventry which we also lost 2-0.

If that's not on the beach I don't know what is.

2016/2017 we were safe after we beat Bolton at home 1-0, we then played 3 more games and failed to win any of them, Bristol Rovers away lost 1-0, Rochdale home drew 1-1 and Wimbledon away drew 0-0.

Teams do ease up after they get safe.

1 hour ago, Hometownclub said:

2015/2016 season we were safe with 2 games to go, our last 2 matches were away at Millwall lost 3-0 and at home to Coventry which we also lost 2-0.

2016/2017 we were safe after we beat Bolton at home 1-0, we then played 3 more games and failed to win any of them, Bristol Rovers away lost 1-0, Rochdale home drew 1-1 and Wimbledon away drew 0-0.

Except Northampton  against us.

1 hour ago, Hometownclub said:

So your example of every club being on the beach is us over the last few years who have been nothing but shit consistently all season and constantly fighting for our lives. 

Any stats from other clubs over a long period or just opinion. 

We didn't win in 9 against any other teams who 'were on the beach' I assume your argument for that is because we are crap because all our holidaying opponents picked up points which doesn't fit your theory.

24 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

So your example of every club being on the beach is us over the last few years who have been nothing but shit consistently all season and constantly fighting for our lives. 

Any stats from other clubs over a long period or just opinion. 

We didn't win in 9 against any other teams who 'were on the beach' I assume your argument for that is because we are crap because all our holidaying opponents picked up points which doesn't fit your theory.

You maybe right Palmer, has there been something endemic at this club for years about players under different managers not being able to lift themselves for the vast majority games?

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Its way too early at this stage to say how we are going to do at the moment we really have no idea what the team is going to look like on the first day of the season let alone the squad over the whole year. We still have no real idea of what Lemsagams grand plan is.

Once our summer transfer activity is done then we can set expectations

Surely it shouldn't be anything other than to get us promoted as soon as possible?

The expectation that we get promoted straight away started when the final whistle against Northampton went.  Plans should be in place now to get players in that will win us promotion.

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Surely it shouldn't be anything other than to get us promoted as soon as possible?

The expectation that we get promoted straight away started when the final whistle against Northampton went.  Plans should be in place now to get players in that will win us promotion.

That will cost money, we don't really know if there is any.

42 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well you would hope he is aiming for promotion but it depends how much spending power he is prepared to or is capable of giving the manager something we dont really know right now..

If we see 6-7 probably more of the right kind of players coming in then yes a promotion charge should be the expectation. But lets just see what happens.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You maybe right Palmer, has there been something endemic at this club for years about players under different managers not being able to lift themselves for the vast majority games?

I think it's been mentioned a few times recently BP1960 but this club thanks to way it has been run for the last decade has a huge losing mentality running through it. If you have a boss/owner who employs arse kissing underlings who are only looking out for themselves and not the club's best interest pubicly telling the world that we are already punching above our weight then what do you aim for? We're already over achieving aren't we?

Corney, Barry etc have so much to answer for not just financial and It's the first thing that Lemmy and Wellens have to address. The mentality has to change!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I'm sure there are some but why would you want to own a football club and not want to be promoted? No idea what his budget is but AL DEFINITELY wants to get promoted.

You wouldn't want to get relegated and that has already happened under his tenure...

6 hours ago, palmer1 said:

I'm not so sure about that. Seem to remember losing 3-5 at home to an already relegated Hereford in about 76/77, and a few other no one cares games in subsequent seasons.  Remember others where the opposition cared more than our lot. Losing  heavily to City with Dickov running around like a wasp.

3 hours ago, palmer1 said:

I think it's been mentioned a few times recently BP1960 but this club thanks to way it has been run for the last decade has a huge losing mentality running through it. If you have a boss/owner who employs arse kissing underlings who are only looking out for themselves and not the club's best interest pubicly telling the world that we are already punching above our weight then what do you aim for? We're already over achieving aren't we?

Corney, Barry etc have so much to answer for not just financial and It's the first thing that Lemmy and Wellens have to address. The mentality has to change!

Whilst Barry was many things, I'm struggling to believe he did any team talks, much less have any influence over team performance.

When's Wellens back at work?  Jeez I could so with a transfer or two plus an interview with AL to fire me up over the summer.  Hopefully AL continues his stamp on the club with a new shirt manufacturer and sponsor.

Going to be a loooong ten weeks.