MK Dons - Starting X1

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

There was a good atmosphere yesterday especially second half. Hopefully it continues.

Yes the wage bill has been slashed but you have to compare that with incomings. No big away followings this year.

Hopefully with a few of our missing players yesterday back in we will do well and the fans might come back.

Some will moan regardless. 

It's a fact. The wage bill has been slashed. The quality of the incomings does not match that of those that have left and will be reflected by their wages.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Yesterday's attendance figures particularly home fans was well up on the season opener for last season which is in line with us selling more season tickets, seemed a decent buzz around the place to me and I'm hopeful attendances will go up this season, no doubt about it that FB has brought a real feel good factor back to the place.

You can't argue that the wage bill has been slashed compared to last season and probably rightly so, that's probably AL learning a very harsh lesson that chucking money at the team won't necessarily yield decent results.

I'm hopeful that there's money for a decent striker to partner Surridge and Cotterill is signed, I also think we will struggle if we lose Gardner who still has a niggle in that ankle for me as Maouche just doesn't seem up to it. I know you have to be realistic but most fans may have hoped AL was prepared to speculate this season and have a real go at getting back up the divisions where we belong.

Will we be in for another striker? Got the four plus Baxter.

Thought we played well at times and looked way fitter than they did towards the end of the game. That culminated in them having to buy time by staying on the deck and conning the ref which broke up any momentum we created. It was a shame that their crying wolf actually meant we reacted harshly to one of their players actually knackered  himself. 

New players;

The new French lads look like they will grow into the team, they have a lot of energy and trickery. They will come good. 

Coke looked disappointing, not really what he looked like in pre season. Miller needs game time but did ok for his first game in a while. Surridge looked like a hand full but needs more of a foil to play off ie Baxter.

Keeper looked ok good save in the second half to keep us in it. 

Frankie said that we need work on the final third and that shows but with the likes of Baxter and possibly Byrne to come in, and link ups to develop, the goals will start to come. 

39 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

That second goal is embarrassing.

Awful defending, Hunt not tracking a runner, weak attempt at tackling from Edmundson and defenders facing their own goal.

The penalty was stupid from Coke.

After their goals it was an encouraging performance from a depleted team.

One thing I noticed yesterday was Surridge appeared more physical than I expected.  In fact I’d like to see him and Benteke up front as a two to give us more pace.  

A few times Branger and Nepomuceno ran forward but we had nobody in the middle and had to cut back.

Lets see what Saturday brings.  Baxter, Byrne, Clarke, Taylor plus one or two more (or is it just Cotterill?).

In getting a grip can I ask why this professional football team is starting it's season with so many 'first picks' unavailable? 

Can I also point out that it is easy to look 'good' when the other team is winning and cruising to victory.

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

In getting a grip can I ask why this professional football team is starting it's season with so many 'first picks' unavailable? 

Can I also point out that it is easy to look 'good' when the other team is winning and cruising to victory.

Who was ‘cruising’ to a victory?  

13 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I thought Miller did ok - their defence looked scared of him. Miles better than COG anyway.

Haven’t gone through all of the pages yet but I agree with this. Their defence looked shit scared of Millers size and physicality. He was much better than COG who was useless when he came on.

if that riff raff are predicted to walk the league then we should be aiming for

promotion. We looked much sharper and fitter just 2 lapses in concentration early cost us.

With the 4-5 missing first teamers (im including Byrne) we win that game

and in my eyes we win the league. They where gassed with 20 to go and we looked like we had another 90 in us. Good to see.

thought the team played well overall however Coke was horrendous first half. 

Hopefully Cotterill, Clarke and Baxter to start next week at Forest Green. Losing Andy Taylor early is a shame he looked extremely solid in pre season. 

I was actually worried about Graham starting as I don’t think he’s been great in pre season but thought he was excellent at the back.

missilou will pick up a lot of yellows and the odd red but will be a fantastic player for us, had the crowd roaring with a fiesty 50/50 and pulled out a few nice passes out wide.

Seriously if Mk are predicted to walk the league a full strength latics should be thinking/doing that too.

looked a blatant handball penalty for us too in the second half from Surridge’s

header who also looks a good find

Just to add too, Thought Hunt was very lay at times. Got a bollocking a couple of times in the second half for not overlapping the winger. He had a torrid first half too. Mind elsewhere? If there’s really teams offering 300k ish for him I’d take it

14 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Just to add too, Thought Hunt was very lay at times. Got a bollocking a couple of times in the second half for not overlapping the winger. He had a torrid first half too. Mind elsewhere? If there’s really teams offering 300k ish for him I’d take it

Really don’t rate Hunt at all a very average defender, I’d sell now if we can get a fee for him, he might come good in future because still young, but I’d rather keep Hamer and Dummigan who for me are better players.

Was really disappointed and frustrated with yesterday's game. I was hoping for once we would look good and put in a strong performance but we didn't. MK got a couple of early goals and saw out the game from there, theatrics aside they didn't really have to get out of low gear, we didn't test them, we didn't trouble them, our set pieces were rubbish, how many times did our corners beat the far man? A waste.

No arguments about the penalty, it was clear. The defending for the second goal was abysmal, players out of position and one of the easiet goals MK will score all season. We gifted them the game.

Gardiner took his goal really well, he was our best player. Surridge looks promising, looks like he could make something happen. Branger-Engone looks good on the wing. Missilou is a walking red card, sure it won't be long until he gets sent off with all his flying challenges, they just look wreckless.

Hamer wasn't great at the start of the game and our centre backs constantly lost Agard to long balls over the top. Miller was alright up top but nothing special, O'Grady was even worse, just didn't really do anything. 

I know we were missing a few starters yesterday and hopefully with them coming back will boost us but the performance overall wasn't of a side who'll be challenging for promotion this season. We looked lost for ideas, we should have troubled MK more but we really didn't. MK did the things that win matches, they were more understanding on what they need to do. It wasn't a good performance from us and we need to improve a lot if we are going to get some results. Forest Green next week won't be the walk in the park some might think, especially after their 4-1 win and having Winchester in their side.

51 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

One thing I noticed yesterday was Surridge appeared more physical than I expected.  In fact I’d like to see him and Benteke up front as a two to give us more pace.  

A few times Branger and Nepomuceno ran forward but we had nobody in the middle and had to cut back.

Lets see what Saturday brings.  Baxter, Byrne, Clarke, Taylor plus one or two more (or is it just Cotterill?).

Taylor will be out for a month I hear.

10 minutes ago, Macca said:

Was really disappointed and frustrated with yesterday's game. I was hoping for once we would look good and put in a strong performance but we didn't. MK got a couple of early goals and saw out the game from there, theatrics aside they didn't really have to get out of low gear, we didn't test them, we didn't trouble them, our set pieces were rubbish, how many times did our corners beat the far man? A waste.

No arguments about the penalty, it was clear. The defending for the second goal was abysmal, players out of position and one of the easiet goals MK will score all season. We gifted them the game.

Gardiner took his goal really well, he was our best player. Surridge looks promising, looks like he could make something happen. Branger-Engone looks good on the wing. Missilou is a walking red card, sure it won't be long until he gets sent off with all his flying challenges, they just look wreckless.

Hamer wasn't great at the start of the game and our centre backs constantly lost Agard to long balls over the top. Miller was alright up top but nothing special, O'Grady was even worse, just didn't really do anything. 

I know we were missing a few starters yesterday and hopefully with them coming back will boost us but the performance overall wasn't of a side who'll be challenging for promotion this season. We looked lost for ideas, we should have troubled MK more but we really didn't. MK did the things that win matches, they were more understanding on what they need to do. It wasn't a good performance from us and we need to improve a lot if we are going to get some results. Forest Green next week won't be the walk in the park some might think, especially after their 4-1 win and having Winchester in their side.

Missilou diving in to tackle Winchester should be interesting.

After a shaky start that was a decent last hour.

The shape was all wrong with Coke on the right but tucked in. But the change at HT sorted that out.

Missilou had a really good first half.

Miller was obviously not sharp but looks to me like given a few games will be a right handful. There isn’t a defender in this division who would want to line up against him.

COG looked like a headless chicken and i’d definitely give Miller more games to see if he can get going. You know what you get with COG but Miller is a wild card.

I was less impressed with Surridge than everyone else, but early days obviously.

i’ll happily cut a very young defence some slack. they were up against a very experienced attack and did well after a bad start.

Hate losing but stuff to work with, especially with a couple of older heads to return and a bit of skill in the middle.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

Surely you don’t really believe that? Look at the list of outgoings from last season, I’ve tried to roughly estimate what I think is a realistic weekly wage/loan fee. The money saved since the end of last season is enormous. 

Doyle and Bryan £11,000 (Keegan’s article said that Doyle, Bryan and Byrne were costing us £16,000 p/w)

Gerrard £1,500-£2,500

Moimbe £2,000-£3,000

Mantack £300-£500

Fawns £300-£500

Banks £1,500-£2,000

Green £1,500-£2,000

Omrani £1,000-£1,500

Brian Wilson £1,000-£2,000

Nazon £0-£1,000

Holloway £1,500-£2,000

Davies £2,000-£2,500

Pringle £3,000-£4,000

Obadeyi £1,000-£1,500

Paddy Mac £1,500-£2,000

McLaughlin £1,500-£2,500

Benyu £0-£500

Gymafi £500-£1,000

Placide £4,000 

Total saved £35,100-£44,000 a week (hope my quick tally up is right :lol:). Even taking the lower figure, which I think is quite a conservative estimate, the total saved a year is £1,825,200. With the fees received for McLaughlin, Davies and Holloway added on then Abdallah has knocked over £2 million off the annual wage bill. Do you honestly believe that it is Jack Byrne stopping us from being in the market for a quality striker? Really? If JB goes then that wage, like nearly all of the others above, will not be spent on incomings.

And we STILL can’t pay wages on time. 

Now that is depressing. 

Opposition manager slightly more level headed than some of the hysterical babies on this forum. Yesterday we could have easily drawn or better. They weren’t markedly better than us and we had 4 or 5 that we would normally have out there missing. 

“We then played some pretty good football, and did enough to score another goal today but on the other hand they had enough pressure to deserve a second too. They had pressure, we had counters, but whatever it was, we scored one more than them today."

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We are short of an Agard, Akinde or a Doyle even a Billy Kee type whose been there and done it will get us the goals to make us real contenders, surely there is a player out there for us, I like Surridge and he will chip in with a few for sure but you'd of thought a priority to fire us out of this division would of been one real good striker.

We can pick the bones and argue over O Grady, Miller and Benteke but let's face it they all have their problems and will struggle over a season, you also can't help but think that Byrne would of made a huge difference against tired legs today, instead we introduced Maouche who looks so far off the game and totally unsuited by the nature of League 2 football, AL really is cutting his nose off to spite his face with regards to Byrne, I mean how long is this forced absence going to last? 

I've passed on some info to the club about a goal poacher not catching at his current club, also a u19 international not been with any club on loan yet who will become prolific IMO.

Archived