MK Dons - Starting X1

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

How are we skint? We’ve cleared bad eggs in the camp (Gerrard, Davies who i’d have kept but did not get on with the owner) signed a ton of players, Baxter won’t be earning pittance....also why would Andy rhodes leave such a cushy job at Wednesday if we where that skint?

Recently turned down 200k for Gardner from Fleetwood and surprisingly more than that for Hunt. Also holding out for as much as possibls on Hamer...

If we where skint all 3 would have gone for far lower fees yet we have rejected bids. We are in no way skint..

Signing Cotterill monday...we are in no way skint, just Al trying to spend his money cleverly this time rather than throwing 11k a week at players who couldn’t give a toss about us. 

Trying to spend cleverly. .

Mmmm. 

I’m not being negative, but if we are so in black why have we struggled to pay people recently? I think people massively underestimate the cost of running a football club. Especially over the summer with no match day income. Bunn himself said 3 days ago that the players had talked about not getting paid and how they couldn’t use it as excuse. 

Yet things are healthy financially. . . 

Squad wise, your right we must of massively reduced our wage bill, but again if things are so healthy why hasn’t that been reinvested with real quality?? 

3 kids on loan. 

Coke- released by conference side chesterfield. 

Taylor. Released by Blackpool.

Miller. -  Free agent.

o’grady- released by Burton. 

#frenchlads-signed from obscure French 4th division sides. 

There’s nothing in that lot that says big outlay. 

Now. I hope all these signings are quality for us, and we go up. 

Reality says you generally get what you pay for. IMO if Bunn gets a top half finish with our squad, (even with one or two more) then he’s done a terrific job this season. 

Back line too young

Didn't offer any threat up front.

Watch the highlights it's all MK Dons. 

We never looked like scoring in that second half. Over 4500 fans there, in the sun, bit of optimism flowing and they go and chuck in a performance like that.

Forest Green, Macclesfield, Yeovil, Crawley, Newport and Morecambe our next six, could do with four wins.

Need Baxter, Clarke, Byrne and to sign Cotterill ASAP. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Trying to spend cleverly. .

Mmmm. 

I’m not being negative, but if we are so in black why have we struggled to pay people recently? I think people massively underestimate the cost of running a football club. Especially over the summer with no match day income. Bunn himself said 3 days ago that the players had talked about not getting paid and how they couldn’t use it as excuse. 

Yet things are healthy financially. . . 

Squad wise, your right we must of massively reduced our wage bill, but again if things are so healthy why hasn’t that been reinvested with real quality?? 

3 kids on loan. 

Coke- released by conference side chesterfield. 

Taylor. Released by Blackpool.

Miller. -  Free agent.

o’grady- released by Burton. 

#frenchlads-signed from obscure French 4th division sides. 

There’s nothing in that lot that says big outlay. 

Now. I hope all these signings are quality for us, and we go up. 

Reality says you generally get what you pay for. IMO if Bunn gets a top half finish with our squad, (even with one or two more) then he’s done a terrific job this season. 

:grin:

I think it's disgusting that the new owner is not throwing invisible money at the problem. We were only losing £700,000 a year, and now we've lost another £500,000 because of relegation. We continued to struggle paying the wages and the tax man. Now he's bleeding cut our costs. CUT OUR COSTS!!! What an idiot (or is it more devious than that?????). We might be able to actually pay the wages on time. We might be able to actually pay the tax. As a result, 2-3 HMRC employers may no longer be needed. He's clearly an absolute swine.

Look at all the quality players we've lost. The most successful and talented group we've had for years. They achieved more than any other squad in nearly half a century. They actually managed to get out of the hell that was Division Three. AL OUT!!! 

4 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I think it's disgusting that the new owner is not throwing invisible money at the problem. We were only losing £700,000 a year, and now we've lost another £500,000 because of relegation. We continued to struggle paying the wages and the tax man. Now he's bleeding cut our costs. CUT OUR COSTS!!! What an idiot (or is it more devious than that?????). We might be able to actually pay the wages on time. We might be able to actually pay the tax. As a result, 2-3 HMRC employers may no longer be needed. He's clearly an absolute swine.

Look at all the quality players we've lost. The most successful and talented group we've had for years. They achieved more than any other squad in nearly half a century. They actually managed to get out of the hell that was Division Three. AL OUT!!! 

Already proven to be untrue... 

1 hour ago, oafcshuck said:

Back line too young

We never looked like scoring in that second half. Over 4500 fans there, in the sun, bit of optimism flowing and they go and chuck in a performance like that.

Forest Green, Macclesfield, Yeovil, Crawley, Newport and Morecambe our next six, could do with four wins.

Three downboats on this. Absolute state.

10 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Would you say any of these problems that are now supposedly being solved by AL were created by him in the first place?

21 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I've passed on some info to the club about a goal poacher not catching at his current club, also a u19 international not been with any club on loan yet who will become prolific IMO.

19 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Don't rule that out yet 

Are the two linked BP1960?  I personally think we have a striker in Surridge and he just needs time to build an understanding with his target man, be that Miller or O’Grady.  I thought Benteke would have added something on Saturday when their defence tired.

Unfortunately we don’t have time so hopefully your insight bears fruit this week allowing Surridge time.

As an aside, are you being heard by the new regime?

12 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Back line too young

Someone enlighten me how people are dis-agreeing so much it's getting downvoted (i couldn't care less about votes to be honest) I'm more confused as what I've said that's so wrong.

How can anyone say we looked decent is beyond me.

The defence is too young. A rookie keeper, two kids from our youth who have a lack of experience and an 17/18 year old on loan from Sheffield United!

The highlights were all MK Dons, Iversen made two saves in the highlights, Simpson missed a sitter at the back post, it didn't show any of ours as we didn't have any other chances ..

We had 4500 fans there, the sun was showing and most of the people I spoke to were optimistic. 

We could have played another hour and not scored. We didn't look a threat from set-pieces nevermind open play. Surridge was the best of a bad bunch and I can't see him scoring the 20 goals a season that a promotion chasing side needs ....

10 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Someone enlighten me how people are dis-agreeing so much it's getting downvoted (i couldn't care less about votes to be honest) I'm more confused as what I've said that's so wrong.

How can anyone say we looked decent is beyond me.

The defence is too young. A rookie keeper, two kids from our youth who have a lack of experience and an 17/18 year old on loan from Sheffield United!

The highlights were all MK Dons, Iversen made two saves in the highlights, Simpson missed a sitter at the back post, it didn't show any of ours as we didn't have any other chances ..

We had 4500 fans there, the sun was showing and most of the people I spoke to were optimistic. 

We could have played another hour and not scored. We didn't look a threat from set-pieces nevermind open play. Surridge was the best of a bad bunch and I can't see him scoring the 20 goals a season that a promotion chasing side needs ....

Not downvoted, but I'd take issue with you criticising the club for the defence being too young.  Clarke fell ill a couple of days before and Taylor picked up an injury.  Those 2 would be definite starters and would have taken the average age of the back 4 from 20 to 28.  It's a bit of bad luck.

Add in Baxter to the forward line, another who picked up a pre season injury, and there's potential for more creativity.  Losing 3 experienced, important first team starters before the first game would affect any club in the division.  If we looked ok for the last hour of the game, which has been suggested by most, then add in those experienced defenders to shore up at the back and the craft of Baxter and we should start getting positive results.  No need to be pushing the panic button just yet.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Not downvoted, but I'd take issue with you criticising the club for the defence being too young.  Clarke fell ill a couple of days before and Taylor picked up an injury.  Those 2 would be definite starters and would have taken the average age of the back 4 from 20 to 28.  It's a bit of bad luck.

Add in Baxter to the forward line, another who picked up a pre season injury, and there's potential for more creativity.  Losing 3 experienced, important first team starters before the first game would affect any club in the division.  If we looked ok for the last hour of the game, which has been suggested by most, then add in those experienced defenders to shore up at the back and the craft of Baxter and we should start getting positive results.  No need to be pushing the panic button just yet.

This.

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I haven't criticised the club though that's the point. I've just said the defence we had out was too young ....

As you said it couldn't be helped with the Clarke illness, the Dummigan and Taylor injury, my point was, the defence was far too young and it cost us. 

13 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Back line too young

If you only watched the highlights it did look like mk had the better of it, but there were at least 4 decent chances 2nd half that weren’t shown. And a definite on target going in heart from Surridge that was potentially hand balled to safety.

8 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

I haven't criticised the club though that's the point. I've just said the defence we had out was too young ....

As you said it couldn't be helped with the Clarke illness, the Dummigan and Taylor injury, my point was, the defence was far too young and it cost us. 

You should count yourself fortunate to have a club to support, never mind applying criteria that applies to any football club in any division.

Seriously I could have named 3 of those giving down votes before I even checked. There is no room these days for any discussion.  

You have to be deliriously happy before you come on OWTB these days or you just get shouted down. It gets very, very boring! 

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

If you only watched the highlights it did look like mk had the better of it, but there were at least 4 decent chances 2nd half that weren’t shown. And a definite on target going in heart from Surridge that was potentially hand balled to safety.

Struggling to remember any chances we had let alone '4 decent' chances

We had the header from Surridge? That was never ever going in and was an easy claim for the keeper. 

The handball was never ever a handball, take the goggles off it was about a yard away from him and lacked power ..

The only 'half' chance I'd describe was the one where Surridge went clear and should have got a shot away but was tackled ....

I don't recall any other decent chances, especially when you compare the ones we had to the ones MK had ..

Archived