MK Dons - Starting X1

9 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

You should count yourself fortunate to have a club to support, never mind applying criteria that applies to any football club in any division.

Seriously I could have named 3 of those giving down votes before I even checked. There is no room these days for any discussion.  

You have to be deliriously happy before you come on OWTB these days or you just get shouted down. It gets very, very boring! 

Funny that. Most people I speak to about OWTB say it’s reyt full of negative twats.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although the goalkeeper and defence are very young and inexperienced, i didn't think they did too badly really.

A player like Agard has way too much in his locker for our lads to cope with,had Clarke been there he would have nullified the threat to some extent.

Our problems stemmed not from the youngsters but from the more experienced players. 

Coke, not only giving away a ridiculous penalty but a totally abject performance. (this guy should be able to boss these games from anywhere across midfield)

Miller, i know what everyone has said about him being a handful,blah blah but he really isn't.

O'grady, better than Miller in my view yet not what we expected yet.

They may all be rusty,need games to settle etc, i sincerely hope that is the case.

44 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

I haven't criticised the club though that's the point. I've just said the defence we had out was too young ....

As you said it couldn't be helped with the Clarke illness, the Dummigan and Taylor injury, my point was, the defence was far too young and it cost us. 

Fair enough, it just came across that way to me.  It was a young defence, but there's pretty much nothing that could have been done about it.  It's disappointing they had a slow start as they seemed to do ok once settling into the game.

It's a real shame to lose Clarke and Taylor.  Would expect Clarke back on Saturday but Taylor is a shame as we rarely have left footed left backs, especially one with his experience so hopefully his injury isn't a long one.

1 hour ago, oafcshuck said:

Someone enlighten me how people are dis-agreeing so much it's getting downvoted (i couldn't care less about votes to be honest) I'm more confused as what I've said that's so wrong.

How can anyone say we looked decent is beyond me.

The defence is too young. A rookie keeper, two kids from our youth who have a lack of experience and an 17/18 year old on loan from Sheffield United!

The highlights were all MK Dons, Iversen made two saves in the highlights, Simpson missed a sitter at the back post, it didn't show any of ours as we didn't have any other chances ..

We had 4500 fans there, the sun was showing and most of the people I spoke to were optimistic. 

We could have played another hour and not scored. We didn't look a threat from set-pieces nevermind open play. Surridge was the best of a bad bunch and I can't see him scoring the 20 goals a season that a promotion chasing side needs ....

I'm not one for downboating, and didn't, but people do it to the constantly negative posters on here. Some of the points you make are valid but probably don't need making          ( e.g. young inexperienced back four  was not the planned one ) so some posters who are forever looking on the "black side" of things are given short shrift.

Personally I was satisfied with Saturday's performance after the first twenty or so minutes when it looked as if we would be in for a panning. The penalty was pretty soft and the ref refused us a similar one for us on Surridge second half; the second was Hunt's failure to track his man and they looked threatening with the ball over the top to Agard which exposed our inexperienced defence. I thought we "pulled it round" a bit after their early threats and showed at least the basics to be positive given a full squad to pick from.

We all want the best for our club and recognize it's failings but some, I would guess the older ones amongst us, are a bit more patient than others.  

1 hour ago, oafcshuck said:

I haven't criticised the club though that's the point. I've just said the defence we had out was too young ....

As you said it couldn't be helped with the Clarke illness, the Dummigan and Taylor injury, my point was, the defence was far too young and it cost us. 

Shall we just magic some players from thin air then? I mean what point are you actually trying to make, it's not like we had a forty years old defender on the bench to appease you.

39 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'm not one for downboating, and didn't, but people do it to the constantly negative posters on here. Some of the points you make are valid but probably don't need making          ( e.g. young inexperienced back four  was not the planned one ) so some posters who are forever looking on the "black side" of things are given short shrift.

Personally I was satisfied with Saturday's performance after the first twenty or so minutes when it looked as if we would be in for a panning. The penalty was pretty soft and the ref refused us a similar one for us on Surridge second half; the second was Hunt's failure to track his man and they looked threatening with the ball over the top to Agard which exposed our inexperienced defence. I thought we "pulled it round" a bit after their early threats and showed at least the basics to be positive given a full squad to pick from.

We all want the best for our club and recognize it's failings but some, I would guess the older ones amongst us, are a bit more patient than others.  

Summed up very well.

15 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Over 4500 fans there, in the sun, bit of optimism flowing and they go and chuck in a performance like that.

I think it's probably the sentiment of this line that caught the eye. 

Given the circumstances - strong experienced opposition, injuries in key positions, nightmarish start - I thought they put in an acceptable performance. 

The biggest disappointment I had, post match, was the way MK dealt with losing the ball in a tackle.....i.e. on every occasion when Latics won the ball fairly, their player went down holding his face/head leaving the referee with the unenviable decision of whether to stop the game. Followed by their player having a bit of non-treatment and then jumping up again having stopped any Latics momentum gained.  We all know it's cheating and in the past, we have also been guilty but nowhere near the level we saw on Saturday.

We saw in the World Cup several incidents, Neymar being the biggest culprit. I was proud of watching England standing up to heavy tackles and not rolling around  and felt the same on Saturday by our team.

It's a disturbing tactic and it's use is growing in popularity by certain managers...…...as it stands, I'm at a loss how of how referees in lower league matches can deal with this issue without the benefit of V.A.R. 

Its been part of the modern game at all levels I'm afraid for years.

Its frustrating when these tactics are used against you when you are losing and time is running out but on the other hand if we are beating Mk Dons 2-1 with 30 mins to go I'm sure we would see some form of tactic to slow the game and disrupt the play of MK Dons form Latics.

I don't like it myself but the officials need to be a little wiser and see what is happening, a little common sense applied would help.

The best way to avoid this is to be the team leading !!

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

To be fair to the ref he tried to ignore it a few times, but when they’re  folding their heads it’s difficult. 

They had had the boy who cried wolf incident 

If they can bring the physio on in rugby union with 29 other blokes trying to kill each other in the surrounding area why cannot the football match go on around them. Simples. Even in the penalty area.

15 minutes ago, latics22 said:

but when they’re  folding their heads it’s difficult. 

I thought Davies and Holloway were both guilty of this last season every time a ball came to them above shoulder height.

40 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

The biggest disappointment I had, post match, was the way MK dealt with losing the ball in a tackle.....i.e. on every occasion when Latics won the ball fairly, their player went down holding his face/head leaving the referee with the unenviable decision of whether to stop the game. Followed by their player having a bit of non-treatment and then jumping up again having stopped any Latics momentum gained.  We all know it's cheating and in the past, we have also been guilty but nowhere near the level we saw on Saturday.

We saw in the World Cup several incidents, Neymar being the biggest culprit. I was proud of watching England standing up to heavy tackles and not rolling around  and felt the same on Saturday by our team.

It's a disturbing tactic and it's use is growing in popularity by certain managers...…...as it stands, I'm at a loss how of how referees in lower league matches can deal with this issue without the benefit of V.A.R. 

I agree, in fact I left early because I was so sick of this cheating.  Better to get a head start out of the car park and before the complaints about leaving early that is the first time I have left early in 50 years.

When they jump up obviously unhurt, book them.  A firm hand needs to be taken in all games to stamp it out.  It is in the hands of the powers that be.

9 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I agree, in fact I left early because I was so sick of this cheating.  Better to get a head start out of the car park and before the complaints about leaving early that is the first time I have left early in 50 years.

When they jump up obviously unhurt, book them.  A firm hand needs to be taken in all games to stamp it out.  It is in the hands of the powers that be.

I stayed because I wanted to see them punished by a last min equaliser ! Cheating fuckers 

11 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Im not sure it pissed me off enough to make me leave early what was dissapointing was that only 4 minutes were added on at the end 5 subs were made in the second half at 30 seconds each that leaves 90 seconds worth for "injuries" their was surely more than that.

The other issue it caused was when a player actually did go down with a serious injury at the end the whole ground just thought he was killing time when it was infact a serious injury.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Im not sure it pissed me off enough to make me leave early what was dissapointing was that only 4 minutes were added on at the end 5 subs were made in the second half at 30 seconds each that leaves 90 seconds worth for "injuries" their was surely more than that.

The other issue it caused was when a player actually did go down with a serious injury at the end the whole ground just thought he was killing time when it was infact a serious injury.

Especially when he added six at the end of the first half.

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Shithousing is part of the modern game. The rights and wrongs of it are another debate. I wish Latics would do it more - if you can’t beat them join them. 

No the correct way is video retrospective bans for "shit housing" or whatever the technical term for it is. The game is being plagued by cheats, it really gets my goat when players seek to gain an advantage by cheating, and I mean that for my own team as well. They say it is part of the game now but if the football authorities had something about them they would work to stamp it out. The problem is that the worst offenders are the so called superstars of the game and that wouldn't fit with the global marketing of football if they were to be called out for cheating. 

Archived